External Blu-ray Player Recommendations for Ripping Blu-ray discs

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
No one still uses a desktop with an internal drive?
I use an internal Blu-ray drive (also Blu-ray burner) in my Tower PC that I built in 2013.
PC is still working with Windows 10 PRO, and I have only updated the internal HDDs for bigger TB.

The second PC Tower I built for the second summer house, in 2017, has no BD drive bay. I use the single BD drive in primary house for all ripping, and copying via Internet all archive files to the second House.

I hope nothing breaks and I hope I don't have to migrate to Windows 11 or another new tower PC as late as possible.

I use an internal Blu-ray drive (also Blu-ray burner) in my Tower PC that I built in 2013.
PC is still working with Windows 10 PRO, and I have only updated the internal HDDs for bigger TB.

The second PC Tower I built for the second summer house, in 2017, has no BD drive bay. I use the single BD drive in primary house for all ripping, and copying via Internet all archive files to the second House.

I hope nothing breaks and I hope I don't have to migrate to Windows 11 or another new tower PC as late as possible.
Yeah it sucks that older pc's can't upgrade to Win11. But I like Win11 much better than Win10. I have one pc that has a 6th gen cpu and it's not supported by MS for Win11. So every time I switch between my Win11 and Win10 pc's I get frustrated that I can't do the same things, the same way on both machines.
I'm so over Win10. But I still have to use it on the older machine, which is essentially a server and runs 24/7.

I don't do upgrades with every new platform now as I did for years. The main rigs on my wife's and mine pc's are on 10th gen mobo's: I have an 11th gen cpu for the faster Pcie slots. I've always built my own pc's with two exceptions early on. I can tell you I will never buy a premade pc ever again unless it's a laptop...and I wouldn't buy a Dell period.
But being a pc geek, I always lust for the latest greatest, just don't do it anymore.

I don't buy premade pc's because I change components in the cases I have. No problem with others buying them. My main case is a Case Labs and they don't build them as versatile anymore.
I don't like Dell, don't like the way they build things, don't like their proprietary BIOS.

Yeah it sucks that older pc's can't upgrade to Win11. But I like Win11 much better than Win10. I have one pc that has a 6th gen cpu and it's not supported by MS for Win11. So every time I switch between my Win11 and Win10 pc's I get frustrated that I can't do the same things, the same way on both machines.
I'm so over Win10. But I still have to use it on the older machine, which is essentially a server and runs 24/7.

I don't do upgrades with every new platform now as I did for years. The main rigs on my wife's and mine pc's are on 10th gen mobo's: I have an 11th gen cpu for the faster Pcie slots. I've always built my own pc's with two exceptions early on. I can tell you I will never buy a premade pc ever again unless it's a laptop...and I wouldn't buy a Dell period.
But being a pc geek, I always lust for the latest greatest, just don't do it anymore.

I have no budget restrictions, and if I decided to upgrade PC HW to go to Windows 11, I would probably leave the current PCs as they are and would build "new great PCs for the future". I would love it, but... I'm a bit tired of all that.

I built two great PCs, with quality/quantity components exceeding my needs, in 2013 and 2017. Both are working perfectly OK and running 24x7. I don't include my Wife Intel NUC PC, that is "less critical".

We will be Windows 10 security patching supported, after 14-Oct-2025, by a 'low' annual fee to get the Extended Security Update. It will be doubled each year, and still expecting lower rates communicated for non-enterprise users.

I think I will happily continue using Windows 10 for as many years as I can, as it gives me all the functionality I need.

I have no budget restrictions, and if I decided to upgrade PC HW to go to Windows 11, I would probably leave the current PCs as they are and would build "new great PCs for the future". I would love it, but... I'm a bit tired of all that.

I built two great PCs, with quality/quantity components exceeding my needs, in 2013 and 2017. Both are working perfectly OK and running 24x7. I don't include my Wife Intel NUC PC, that is "less critical".

We will be Windows 10 security patching supported, after 14-Oct-2025, by a 'low' annual fee to get the Extended Security Update. It will be doubled each year, and still expecting lower rates communicated for non-enterprise users.

I think I will happily continue using Windows 10 for as many years as I can, as it gives me all the functionality I need.
I hear you. I've been using the same 2 cases for my main rigs for many years. Well you can tell by my Avatar how tall my main case is. The motherboard tray slides out and is easy to swap boards. But it's all water cooled so that's extra work. As long as everything is working I don't feel any need to change. I sometimes upgrade a HDD though, the top of the case has racks for 12 drives.
I built my wife a new pc about a year and half ago so she's good to go.
You on Win10 sounds like I was on Win7. But I eventually capitulated. lol.

I built my own PCs for decades but gave it up about 10 years ago. The Asus I have now is basically a laptop motherboard in a tower case. It has a separate video card, but that's it. Even though there is is a cable for a hard drive, there is nowhere to mount it. I put one in and it's sitting at the bottom of the case.

No shit. I built my latest tower about four years ago, and now I’m told the hardware is inadequate for MSW11. 💩

Well I know we're sort off the original topic, but older cpu's were excluded from Win11 as a way to force security for vulnerabilities in the cpu's themselves, IOW to prevent getting your system hacked. In that regard, a good thing. Otherwise of course a PITA. My second pc is still on a 6th gen cpu so it's running Win10.

Eventually I'll either upgrade the motherboard/cpu on my main rig and just transfer them to my second pc, or just buy a cheap mobo/cpu for the second pc as it does not need any computing power to speak of. Each of my two rigs have seen probably 10 motherboard changes over the years, changing parts is no big deal to me although the costs are a factor these days.

Yes, that's what I settled on after getting a smaller one that wouldn't work with Windows 11.
and so this one is top of my shopping list ...
But can I ask did it come with the software needed to play/run Bluray discs?
If it doesnt Im gonna have to get (& maybe Id be better off with- ) a set top box Bluray player for the telly
and that means asking the community what their choice in that kinda thing would be

Back