Listening to Now (In Surround) - Volume 2

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
just re-did my foobar playlist 5.1 dvd rips (includes a few blu-ray rips as well), since I'm on a new PC since mid-december... how I missed listening to these :music

the ring - end credits
the forgotten - end credits
the village - end credits
signs - main titles
signs - end credits
hide and seek - end credits
mars attacks! - main titles
the innkeepers - main titles
the innkeepers - end credits
1408 - end credits
war of the worlds - end credits
from hell - end credits
a beautiful mind - main titles
a beautiful mind - end credits
the sixth sense - main titles
the sixth sense - end credits
lost souls - end credits
the exorcism of emily rose - end credits
the haunting - end credits
jurassic park - end credits
jurassic park 2 - end credits
identity - end credits
dark city - end credits
rose red - end credits
la guerre du feu - end credits
retreat - end credits
nell - end credits
amélie - end credits
the ward - end credits
cloverfield - end credits
the day after tomorrow - end credits
secret window - end credits
the others - end credits
copycat - end credits
bless the child - end credits
minority report - end credits
helen - main titles
helen - end credits
donnie darko - end credits
the uninvited - end credits
the terminal - end credits
untraceable - end credits
the gift - end credits
jennifer 8 - end credits
drag me to hell - main titles
drag me to hell - end credits
chocolat - end credits

This is interesting..! ..so the theme music to these movies is all mixed in discrete 5.1 surround sound?

Hey JF! :) Have you heard the Azteca album already? It's a cracker! :p

yep, had a listen to the samples on amazon.com.. sounds cool, but lately I'm more in a "minor key" mood.. so maybe when I feel a little more festive ! :banana:

just re-did my foobar playlist 5.1 dvd rips (includes a few blu-ray rips as well), since I'm on a new PC since mid-december... how I missed listening to these :music

I see you have many "end credits" on your list... I think these give you the best synopsis of the main themes of a film... definitely my go-to tracks! I've ripped many end credit sequences from Blu-ray movies to see how they sound in surround... usually just ambience in the rears (although "The Godfather" sounds great!). Havn't tried SpecWeb yet on any soundtracks, but I'll be giving it a go as soon as my soundtrack from "The Force Awakens" arrives!

This is interesting..! ..so the theme music to these movies is all mixed in discrete 5.1 surround sound?

not that discrete I'm afraid.. in most of them, what's coming from the rears was picked up by microphones on the scoring stage, but at a distance.. :( except for the occasional synths and music sfx.. it is an improvement on the CDs, though..

Nothing beats TACET's surround releases in that department.. Or my stuff ! :spot :violin

One film's music score that does sound amazing in surround though is Fight Club.. In the opening credits the music jumps at you from all directions...:upthumb

Haven't ripped that one yet, as I don't get tired of watching it ! My favorite role by Helena Bonham Carter.

I see you have many "end credits" on your list... I think these give you the best synopsis of the main themes of a film... definitely my go-to tracks! I've ripped many end credit sequences from Blu-ray movies to see how they sound in surround... usually just ambience in the rears (although "The Godfather" sounds great!). Havn't tried SpecWeb yet on any soundtracks, but I'll be giving it a go as soon as my soundtrack from "The Force Awakens" arrives!

Yeah.. Hollywood movies sure are a downer for surround aficionados like us.. Oh! you ordered the new Star Wars soundtrack !? I'll have to get this one too.. In Episode IV I adore "main titles" and "the throne room", and in Episode V "the imperial march" is a classic!

One film's music score that does sound amazing in surround though is Fight Club.. In the opening credits the music jumps at you from all directions...:upthumb

Haven't ripped that one yet, as I don't get tired of watching it ! My favorite role by Helena Bonham Carter.

I just checked and I've got that Blu-ray! (I've seen it so many times on cable, I never actually cracked open my disc:mad:@:) It's DTS-HD MA... looks like I've added another surround project to my to-do list...

Yeah.. Hollywood movies sure are a downer for surround aficionados like us.. Oh! you ordered the new Star Wars soundtrack !? I'll have to get this one too.. In Episode IV I adore "main titles" and "the throne room", and in Episode V "the imperial march" is a classic!

There are a couple of good themes in The Force Awakens that show up in the end credits (although they don't approach the greatness of Williams' earlier works)... I've seen the movie 3 times and I can't wait to hear the score!

I found this yesterday at the Library and although it's in Dolby Digital 5.1, I'm still enjoying this version a lot. :)

I wish Equinoxe had been released in the same fashion as I prefer it to Oxygene.

If you look in Extra's you will see that there is A DTS switch

I started in '06 with Porcupine Tree's In Absentia and Deadwing, then I got a lot of the other DTS Entertainment titles (DTS CDs, DVD-Vs and DVD-As). It just went on from there, and luckily I managed to get a lot of the original DVD-A titles (including Rhino/WEA) for normal prices. Lots of SACDs along the way, but I've never quite liked them as much as DVD and Blu-ray.

Mirrors my story and thoughts. I will be seeing the surround master himself in a few weeks at my favourite venue...Massey Hall. can't wait

Listening to: Rush - Xanadu in 5 point 1 on A Farewell To Kings and also R40.... comparo night ;)

There's better vocals on the original "Farewell to Kings" recording, but other than that, the new R40 live recording of this song is my new go-to version. Geddy and Alex's instrument tones have gotten so much better over the years, and Neil's drumming is just as good as it's ever been. :)

There's better vocals on the original "Farewell to Kings" recording, but other than that, the new R40 live recording of this song is my new go-to version. Geddy and Alex's instrument tones have gotten so much better over the years, and Neil's drumming is just as good as it's ever been. :)

Though its abbreviated, I think Xanadu is pretty darn good on R30 as well.

Though its abbreviated, I think Xanadu is pretty darn good on R30 as well.

It is. This was when Geddy's vocals were still spot on, but even with that factor thrown in, I still I think prefer the R40 version.
Besides the fact that it's full-length, Alex completely nails the intro with such wonderful and emotive playing, plus I just love seeing Geddy with the double-neck as well. It's definitely one of the biggest highlights of the entire R40 show! :)

Have you got his Aero 5.1 DVD, Simon?

No I haven't Adam. I've actually never heard of the album. I'll admit being a fan of his 70's albums, although his new one Electronica is a must. I recommend that you look into it. Sadly, no 5.1 version is available.

[video=youtube;sw02ZVo4ea4]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sw02ZVo4ea4[/video]

No I haven't Adam. I've actually never heard of the album. I'll admit being a fan of his 70's albums, although his new one Electronica is a must. I recommend that you look into it. Sadly, no 5.1 version is available.

[video=youtube;sw02ZVo4ea4]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sw02ZVo4ea4[/video]

Cool beans! :upthumb

Here's a little bit of background on the Aero set (easy to find cheap, I recommend it, the surround mixes are wild!)..

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/AERO

Listening to and watching the Tokyo concert from the Thrak Box. Awesome to have this document of the band from 1995 sounding so fine in surround. Still, the shows last fall in Toronto were way beyond this, and I hope that there will be a visual document coming somewhere from the 2015 or 2016 tour dates...although I haven't heard of anyone seeing cameras at venues...

Agree with all you said here. Geddy's vocals are better on the studio version for obvious reasons. And their playing has just gotten better with age, like a fine wine. Speaking of that, I know there's an old saying "you can't hide in a 3 piece" (Rush and Cream both come to mind immediately). But taking Rush on an individual basis, are these 3 not master craftsmen with their instruments? I'd like to talk more, but maybe I'll just leave you with a quote from Alex with his acceptance speech at the R&RHOF induction ceremony: "blah, blah, blah..." :eek:

Back