Listening to Now (In Surround) - Volume 2

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Marvin Gaye - Let's Get It On (SACD)

I am always amazed how good these surround mixes of Marvin's grooves turned out. :spot

Marvin Gaye - Let's Get It On (SACD)

I am always amazed how good these surround mixes of Marvin's grooves turned out. :spot

Absolutely.. just so gorgeous...

...my only gripe?

That Universal did not take it upon themselves to do all of Marvin Gaye's Tamla Motown 70's albums..

I often pause and dream about how wonderful even his less popular albums of that time period might be in Surround..

Can you imagine "Here, My Dear..".. "In Our Lifetime..?".. "I Want You" all in sublime 5.1 Surround sound, fresh from the Multitracks (which are no doubt pristine..)

I just adore that phase of his career from 1971-1981..

There are also several of his Quads (all mega rare Japanese releases only, apart from 1974's "Live!" which saw release in the States on Q8 only, its still rare though!) that could be reissued any time soon, would all be guaranteed sales successes imho;

Marvin Gaye Quads:

What's Going On,
Let's Get It On,
Diana & Marvin,
Live!

Delved into Alice Cooper last night.

Both "Billion Dollar Babies" DVDA and A.F.'S SACD "MUSCLE OF LOVE".

I wouldn't mind getting a Quad copy from A.F. for Billion $ Babies, if only to hear the better version of,"Generation Landside"(much better presentation of the guitar/s solo, comes crashing to a halt in quad !)

Tonite more Cooper with DVDA of "Nightmare" and the 73 film concert of B $ B blu-ray.

Ah "KILLER" would be sweet in surround.

Maybe one year.:rolleyes:

I wouldn't mind getting a Quad copy from A.F. for Billion $ Babies, if only to hear the better version of,"Generation Landside"(much better presentation of the guitar/s solo, comes crashing to a halt in quad !)

Tonite more Cooper with DVDA of "Nightmare" and the 73 film concert of B $ B blu-ray.

1970's Easy Action would be high on my list of cravings for a quad release. I love that trippy/psychedelic masterpiece. Yes, I said masterpiece. Of course, that's only my opinion and seems I never hear anyone else liking it as much as I do. :)

Absolutely.. just so gorgeous...

...my only gripe?

That Universal did not take it upon themselves to do all of Marvin Gaye's Tamla Motown 70's albums..

I often pause and dream about how wonderful even his less popular albums of that time period might be in Surround..

Can you imagine "Here, My Dear..".. "In Our Lifetime..?".. "I Want You" all in sublime 5.1 Surround sound, fresh from the Multitracks (which are no doubt pristine..)

I just adore that phase of his career from 1971-1981..

There are also several of his Quads (all mega rare Japanese releases only, apart from 1974's "Live!" which saw release in the States on Q8 only, its still rare though!) that could be reissued any time soon, would all be guaranteed sales successes imho;

Marvin Gaye Quads:

What's Going On,
Let's Get It On,
Diana & Marvin,
Live!

Yes, all those multitracks slumbering away in some vault.
The stuff that dreams are made of... :zzzzz

I completely agree, Adam. In fact, I find that I love unpopular albums more and more these days. As long as it's quality music and has a discrete mix, count me in!!! :upthumb

A day with Alice is always a good thing.

1970's Easy Action would be high on my list of cravings for a quad release. I love that trippy/psychedelic masterpiece. Yes, I said masterpiece. Of course, that's only my opinion and seems I never hear anyone else liking it as much as I do. :)

Ok, I'll bite.

"EASY ACTION " , "SCHOOLS OUT", and if only for a surround version of ; The Ballad Of Dwight Fry,"LOVE IT TOO DEATH".

Those would be sublime.:smokin

I should also listen to his DVD/CD 5.1 DD album, tonite, "THEATRE OF DEATH"

This disc sounds great:

IMG_9693web_zpshyfkugca.jpg

But one song does not sound great - track 8, the Titanic song - it sound amazingtastic! Fidelty (all songs should have this kind of bass) and surround mix are outstanding.

I completely agree, Adam. In fact, I find that I love unpopular albums more and more these days. As long as it's quality music and has a discrete mix, count me in!!! :upthumb

maybe part of that is that unpopular = less familiar..?

I know that's the case with me.. and it has been (and continues to be) one of the most exciting aspects of this Quad/5.1 surround music hobby, discovering so many artists and albums I would have possibly never known about or considered had it not been for their music being available in some form of MultiChannel..

:banana:

Mo Motown would be fine.(y)

But most specifically for me would be the PHILLIPS QUADS from the Japanese vault. The BTO'S and the JERRY LEE LEWIS/ALVIN LEE discs come to mind.
Ah, Alvin Lee a guitar god if ever there was. And now he plays below, or in some angelic universe.(y)

Barclay James Harvest - Gone To Earth

First time through, very nice mix. I like it a lot. Fidelity is great at times.

Not had a chance to rip it out the shrink yet, let alone let rip and rip it baby..:D ..hopefully one night in the week.. gotta skip Mass in the morning thanks to work commitments.. "you're a slave to money and you die", as someone much wiser than I said sometime! :zzzzz indeed.. :eek:

Not had a chance to rip it out the shrink yet, let alone let rip and rip it baby..:D ..hopefully one night in the week.. gotta skip Mass in the morning thanks to work commitments.. "you're a slave to money and you die", as someone much wiser than I said sometime! :zzzzz indeed.. :eek:

LOL! I have skipped "mass" for the last 30 years. :violin

Barclay James Harvest - Gone To Earth

First time through, very nice mix. I like it a lot. Fidelity is great at times.

Playing it too - it's great :)

Gone_zps4lbskwoz.jpg

Ripped, scanned, back-up'd!

Hope there are coming many more BJH's surrounds - all of them!

Playing it too - it's great :)

Gone_zps4lbskwoz.jpg

Ripped, scanned, back-up'd!

Hope there are coming many more BJH's surrounds - all of them!

Right! These Esoteric releases are just awesome. Attention to detail, and this one comes with a little poster and on backside has lyrics. Very nice...oh and a booklet with lots of good tidbits of information.

Crosby/Nash - Another Stoney Evening

Gosh, this is a title I was always curious about and I have no clue why it took me so long to get. (Thanks GABE!!)
It sounds simply awesome. Not necessarily from a surround perspective, but from a fidelity perspective. So, clear and spot on. I love it. It's a live recording, so you get the crowd in rears...which is fine by me. The front soundstage is just wonderful. Clear and clean. Also, side note - I had no idea that Paul Kantner co-wrote Wooden Ships. :)

Back