Who will replace Oppo?

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
When did you ask to be placed on the 205 availability list?
around a couple of months ago maybe more

When I last communicated with Oppo, they were just about sold out of the first batch of 205's. Those went to people who asked to be placed on the list in early April. Oppo said that they had more units coming in the summer, but did not specify how many units or the likelihood of any individual getting an email.

I just want to mention another alternative...and it's an Oppo….it's the 103 and it's used...BUT....the circumstances are a little different....it falls under the blanket of the now wildly popular..."warehouse" special category....here is the listing…now concentrating on the one listed as "good"....think about this...you are buying from amazon...not a private buyer...so you do get some guarantees....like a 30 day return policy....if some of you are looking for an "extra" Oppo...or you are on a budget and aren't afraid to take a risk..this might be the ticket....and the 103 can help you rip SACDs...which has value...right now there are 10 of these available in the "good" category...another thing worth mentioning...if you order this and don't have prime you can get a free trial of prime for one week for only $1.99...so you can upgrade to faster shipping for a modest cost.....now if I were interested in this purchase I would contact amazon and ask some questions...get more information to see if these were merely old stock that might have been returned and were sitting in a warehouse or what was the origin of the players for sale...you could always ask if getting a warranty was possible...if that's important to you...anyway I thought I would mention it...as much as I try to get away from this thread...I keep returning:unsure:

Ok I'm back again...this post I made in July is still relevant and IMO the best option out there for an Oppo….a new batch of warehouse specials has emerged...you can use that link in my old post and there is an option to buy a 103 in very good condition...FROM AMAZON....since I have both the 103(D)and the 203 I'm familiar with both machines...both are excellent and both have strong points...the 103 offers SACD ripping capability and the 203 offers better video capability...and for the current price point...this warehouse(very good condition)103 is a good deal.....here is the link again at $498....remember you have a 30 day return policy if you aren't happy with it..

I read that OPPO began sending out emails yesterday. Sounds like most of the "special links" to buy are going to those who registered around early May. I assume this is the late August run of units and will be followed by the last batch sometime next month.

Ok I'm back again...this post I made in July is still relevant and IMO the best option out there for an Oppo….a new batch of warehouse specials has emerged...you can use that link in my old post and there is an option to buy a 103 in very good condition...FROM AMAZON....since I have both the 103(D)and the 203 I'm familiar with both machines...both are excellent and both have strong points...the 103 offers SACD ripping capability and the 203 offers better video capability...and for the current price point...this warehouse(very good condition)103 is a good deal.....here is the link again at $498....remember you have a 30 day return policy if you aren't happy with it..

Thanks again for the heads up Clint. And yes, you have admonished me about this matter, but it's still a UDP-205 or bust.

I read that OPPO began sending out emails yesterday. Sounds like most of the "special links" to buy are going to those who registered around early May. I assume this is the late August run of units and will be followed by the last batch sometime next month.
Yep. Got e mail yesterday and ordered. Supposed to be delivered by Sept. 5th.

Slightly off topic but has anyone used or know of Oppo MP3/4 players. Apparently they play flac. Never knew they made them and there is virtually nothing out there on them. They are no longer made. Probably have not been for a long time.

From: https://www.phileweb.com/news/audio/201808/30/20115.html

Google translation....

Panasonic exhibited SACD / network player prototype as a prototype of a new product of the Technics brand at the company's booth at IFA 2018.

The model number has not been decided yet, and it is said that the release time is scheduled for the spring to the summer of 2019. Although it has not decided the price, since it is a product of the Grand class, Technics CTO 's Tetuya Ida said that it will appear in the same price range as the same series product.

Panasonic's first SACD playback machine, which supports single / hybrid 2ch playback. DVD audio can not be played.

It can be used not only as SACD but also as a network player, with Wi-Fi installed. In addition to supporting AirPlay, it also has a Bluetooth receiver function.

Besides playing high resolution sound source, it also corresponds to MQA. It also supports Chromecast Built-In. You can also stream Spotify, TIDAL, Internet radio stations.

Arrange the drive mechanism in the center of the body. In addition to the display, on the right side is equipped with a jog dial for multi-control which covers headphone volume and input switching etc. with one, playback system buttons and so on.

In addition to the power button, headphone output, USB terminal are equipped on the left side of the case. On the back side, in addition to providing 2-channel 2-channel audio output terminals with RCA unbalance and XLR balance, both digital input / output terminals are equipped with one optical / coaxial system.

Since it is not yet decided on model number, it seems that it will still take time until its appearance, but as a player who can play SACD for the first time as Panasonic, it seems to be a topic.

SACD-NANAME.jpg

SACD-HIDARI.jpg

Im on the wait list for an Oppo 205 also. I confirmed my email address on May 9.
For what its worth I contacted Oppo about my chances to get one. They replied I have a decent chance... it just depends on how many people ahead of me pass up the opportunity to get one. So this means there are definitely more people asking for these than the amount they plan to manufacture and sell.
Will some accountant run numbers and calculate their earnings if they make enough for everyone who is asking? I don't know.
Will most people who get invites to buy not pass up because they can make an easy profit reselling on eBay for what double the price? Some will.

I will be down to the wire waiting on the last shipment before I know if Ill get one...

Im on the wait list for an Oppo 205 also. I confirmed my email address on May 9.
For what its worth I contacted Oppo about my chances to get one. They replied I have a decent chance... it just depends on how many people ahead of me pass up the opportunity to get one. So this means there are definitely more people asking for these than the amount they plan to manufacture and sell.
Will some accountant run numbers and calculate their earnings if they make enough for everyone who is asking? I don't know.
Will most people who get invites to buy not pass up because they can make an easy profit reselling on eBay for what double the price? Some will.

I will be down to the wire waiting on the last shipment before I know if Ill get one...

That's interesting because for the more affordable 203 the chances of getting one wasn't good according to the Oppo email I got...they won't manufacture enough to fill the list because a lot of people that signed up won't buy them even if they get selected...happens all the time...

So you've spent half an hour in Canada and you already sound like us... ;)
You know what? My wife and I were "dying" to hear some of that "northern" accent....seems we heard the most in central Wisconsin. lol......

Honestly, we stopped at a gas station...somewhere in central/northern Wisconsin. I was struggling to understand the gal at the checkout......just a really thick accent. Not sure what was going on... lol

So you've spent half an hour in Canada and you already sound like us... ;)

The Mrs and I went to the CNE (the Canadian National Exhibition for you unwashed) a few days ago only to find the entrances are being picketed. Some union members were locked out or something.

So I said in my best Canadian accent... "So what's this a boot?'

Back