What are the rarest Sony (US) 5.1 SACDs from the 2000-2008 era

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Blue Oyster Cult "Agents Of Fortune" Multichannel Non-Hybrid. Columbia CS 85479.

aof.jpg

Four from the 'bin gold rush' way back (2009). The first time I ever saw any of these. Scans only.

Chris Botti "Night Sessions" Multichannel Non-Hybrid. Columbia CS 85753.
Various "A Chorus Line" Multichannel Non-Hybrid. Columbia CS 65282.
Mary Mary "Incredible" Multichannel Non-Hybrid. Columbia CS 85690.
Various "The Concert For New York City" Multichannel Non-Hybrid Columbia C2S 86270. (2 disc).
Bot Line.jpg
Mary USA.jpg

Last edited:
Four from the 'bin gold rush' way back (2009). The first time I ever say any of these. Scans only.

Chris Botti "Night Sessions" Multichannel Non-Hybrid. Columbia CS 85753.
Various "A Chorus Line" Multichannel Non-Hybrid. Columbia CS 65282.
Mary Mary "Incredible" Multichannel Non-Hybrid. Columbia CS 85690.
View attachment 35563View attachment 35564Various "The Concert For New York City" Multichannel Non-Hybrid (2 disc). Columbia C2S 86270.
ooooo.. the Chris Botti one is reaaaaaaaaalllyyy expensive!!

Jon I have a few I would be happy to take a picture or scan of. What is the maximum picture pixel dimensions I can upload for clarity and file size ?

Go for it. The software will resize as needed. You are doing great so far!! I will add some more as the week moves on.

Do we have a complete list of how many of these discs Sony actually put out before they ended the program? Seems like they were only at it for like 2-3 years and the plug just got pulled. This always seemed like one of the shortest-lived of various surround programs over the years. They have certainly held their value over the years though. Man, I wish I was around for that 2009 clearance bin rush!

Mix-wise I always found these to be hit-or-miss- the highlight IMO was the dusting off of a couple great old quads (O'Jays, Isleys, Herbie, Weather Report), which was VERY appreciated as Warner couldn't be bothered to do any of their quads on DVD-As at the time. Then you've got 5.1's that range from excellent (Billy Joel, JT, EWF) to decent (Aerosmith, Mary Chapin Carpenter, Satch) to just plain frustrating (Oasis, BoC, Big Brother).

Also: Is it worth throwing together an unreleased list for titles from this series? A couple other unreleased threads buried in the forum show some great canned Sony releases like Kansas' Leftoverture, Herbie's Future Shock, BS&T's Greatest Hits :(

Funny how they chose gold to designate surround again, just like the SQ years, isn't it? Those slipcovers are just too cool...

Last edited:
Hmm . . . I rather like the Oasis multichannel. What are your particular objections to it? It's true that the discreetness has sort of been ironed over, but I suspect so was the original stereo mix (wouldn't know, don't have that).

I rather like the Oasis multichannel. What are your particular objections to it? It's true that the discreetness has sort of been ironed over, but I suspect so was the original stereo mix (wouldn't know, don't have that)

Yeah, it's got that muddy "wall of sound" vibe to it. I just think there are a lot of weird moments and missed opportunities in the surround mix. Like in "Wonderwall", why does the vocal start off in the center channel then randomly leave and switch to the fronts? Why don't the "maybe, maybe" response vocals come from the rear? The source multis probably held it back somewhat, but I think there was potential for more separation.

It is a rare item though and I'd like to get an actual copy for my collection (let's say a friend loaned it to me).

There's an interview posted in the poll thread where the engineer actually admits he actually flew in audio from the CD when he was doing the mix. It also seems he's not the biggest fan of surround in general.

The sequenced audio vérité was on the sessions in a lot of cases, but in some cases it wasn’t and I had to take it from the CD, fly it in, and “5.1-ize” in some way, with delay, reverb, or just panning. As I said, a lot of the radio stuff on Morning Glory and the water effects on Champagne Supernova were on the session; where it wasn’t I would just grab it from the CD and try to make it integrate into my mixes.

Last edited:
...Man, I wish I was around for that 2009 clearance bin rush!

Funny how they chose gold to designate surround again, just like the SQ years, isn't it? Those slipcovers are just too cool...

Oddly enough those slips were pretty much the best part of quite a few of the titles. :) Most of the bin finds have gone to new homes.

Oddly enough those slips were pretty much the best part of quite a few of the titles. :) Most of the bin finds have gone to new homes.

SONY dispensed with those 'cool' gold slipcovers toward the end of their SACD program, unfortunately and I was shocked they NEVER housed their SACDs in Super Jewel Cases since it was part of the original standard. Instead, in the early days they put a small SACD logo inside the RBCD case where the disc snaps in. At least those RBCD cases were easily replaced if they were cracked unlike the SACD and MOST ESPECIALLY the DVD~A cases which are impossible to find today.

Last edited:
That would explain why James Taylor's "Flag" and "Dad Loves His Work" from 2003 did not have the gold slips and were both hybrids.

Similarly, when dual discs were first produced, Silverline encased all their dual discs in plastic slipcases as well where Sony had those weird [but kind of cool] oblong cases which you had to press to open.

Last edited:
Back