What are the rarest Sony (US) 5.1 SACDs from the 2000-2008 era

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I was still living in Italy at the time, and wasn't even aware this SACD existed! I don't know how I could miss it, considering that this is a great live album and that I'm a completist when we talk about Franco Battiato.
AFAIK, this is the only surround release from his discography (obviously excluding the DVD-V releases). It's not a discrete mix, but much better sounding that the 2xCD.
Out of curiosity, how did you find out about this SACD at the time? It wasn't advertised at all...

Possibly on sa-cd.net, for sure it didin't have any ads about that, and Battiato was (and still is) a huge seller.

as it looks like the thread has shifted focus slightly away from just U.S. Sony SACDs, if there's any interest I can up some pics of htf Sony SACDs from other territories, such as some European card slip releases and the even scarcer stuff e.g. Mathilde Santing/New Amsterdam & ML/Leaving (Netherlands) and Francis Cabrel/Les Beaux Dégats (France), etc.?

on a tiny tangent (sorry) one curious thing i noticed going thru these Sony discs for this thread, is on the Weather Report "Mysterious Traveller" SACD it credits 'Ron Malo' as doing the '5.1 Surround Mix'. now, we know the Quad was mixed by Tim Geelan (who also mixed the excellent Blue Öyster Cult Quads) so this little nugget of info has just prompted me to go back and check the surround on the SACD and compare to the Quad, just to make sure the SACD is indeed the Quad and not a new 5.1 remix! i'll report back with findings (in another thread) and pics here of paper slipcase Sony SACDs and/or European Sony SACDs if any of you want to see any of that stuff.

Legalize It - Peter Tosh
Silver - Johnny Cash
A Christmas Gift of Love - Barry Manilow

m7PDJwD.jpeg

1N3u8V0.jpeg

another Dutch Sony single layer surround SACD, really quite hard to find (unfortunately the mix isn't good on this one iirc)

New Amsterdam : Mathilde Santing

lIEZraj.jpeg

KNJzk1r.jpeg

Reactions: e28
now we're getting into the really rare stuff.. the 2001 Patricia Kaas compilation from Sony France, "Rien Ne S'Arréte", Hybrid Surround SACD (I don’t recall the quality of the mix on this one, will give it another spin soon)

nX4RyIZ.jpeg

P4E11pj.jpeg

gotta be one of the rarer surround SACDs, i've only ever seen 3 copies in the wild in the last 10 years (and one of them is mine! surround mix not upto much iirc), also from Sony France, is the Francis Cabrel disc "Les Beaux Dégâts"

ihxrCdT.jpeg

r3Pe8VM.jpeg

Hey filper, the story of my acquiring the "Mary" disc is somewhere in this website because I was reading a thread about the seller talking about selling it. I replied that I was the one who bought the disc along with the details of the sale (which was pretty cheap). I think it still had the gold plastic slipcover on it and I think (?) the seller was saying he wished he would have kept the disc just for the slipcover. I was really happy about getting this slip cover, as not all of my discs came with them. Of course, I immediately put the cover on my Aerosmith disc, the only gold plastic slipcover I have! My Joels came with paper slipcovers and the James Taylor "JT" came with a plastic slipcover with white lettering, The rest of my sonys didn't have any slipcovers.

as it looks like the thread has shifted focus slightly away from just U.S. Sony SACDs, if there's any interest I can up some pics of htf Sony SACDs from other territories, such as some European card slip releases and the even scarcer stuff e.g. Mathilde Santing/New Amsterdam & ML/Leaving (Netherlands) and Francis Cabrel/Les Beaux Dégats (France), etc.?

A QQ thread shifting? NEVER! :)

What the hell, have at it. I love seeing these SACDs. Maybe I'll split the thread into a non-Sony companion. Keep it up, this is great.

Last edited:
A QQ thread shifting? NEVER! :)

What the hell, have at it. I love seeing these SACDs. Maybe I'll split the thread into a non-Sony companion. Keep it up, this is great.

haha.. :giggle: fab!
I've upped all the non-U.S. (and/or of non-English speaking origin) SONY SACDs I have already (2 x Dutch, 2 x French), there is at least one more of these non-U.S. Sony Multichannel SACDs in a card slipcase which unfortunately I don't have (Frank Galan "Promesas") hopefully someone here has it in their collection and can post a pic or two here! (its pretty raaaare, I've been looking 10 years without success!) :eek:.

i will u/l pics here later tonight of all the European Sony's in card slips which are counterparts of the U.S. Single Layers in gold plastic slips that I have.

yeay! that's gonna be a non-Sony rare SACD mega thread, i'll be upping pics in it all month! :LOL: until Dutton Vocalion came along there was more obscure/rare surround SACD stuff to hunt down than there was common and/or readily available on the format! :ROFLMAO:

Back