What are the rarest Sony (US) 5.1 SACDs from the 2000-2008 era

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
haha.. :giggle: fab!
I've upped all the non-U.S. (and/or of non-English speaking origin) SONY SACDs I have already (2 x Dutch, 2 x French), there is at least one more of these non-U.S. Sony Multichannel SACDs in a card slipcase which unfortunately I don't have (Frank Galan "Promesas") hopefully someone here has it in their collection and can post a pic or two here! (its pretty raaaare, I've been looking 10 years without success!) :eek:.

i will u/l pics here later tonight of all the European Sony's in card slips which are counterparts of the U.S. Single Layers in gold plastic slips that I have.

yeay! that's gonna be a non-Sony rare SACD mega thread, i'll be upping pics in it all month! :LOL: until Dutton Vocalion came along there was more obscure/rare surround SACD stuff to hunt down than there was common and/or readily available on the format! :ROFLMAO:

And of course the question arises, Adam, of all these European only mch SACDs are there any really worth a recommendation [NOT that I could find them, anyway]. As it is, I'm trying to keep up with all the current Surround releases and very rarely listen to my older, obscure mch titles.......

The Dutton Vocalion releases, alone, are mind boggling ...... not that I'm complaining.....and I have a pile of pre~orders mounting as well. Just broke down and pre~ordered the SONY Japan Billy Joel 52nd Street in their exquisite 7" packaging even though I do have the original and fine sounding SONY mch SACD.

You know well the story of the three little pigs who built their houses of straw, sticks and bricks .... well, one day I'm going to build a house of DISCS. And of course, you're welcome to visit! You can stay in the Barbra Streisand 'Suite!':eek:

Last edited:
OK, here goes. I put a bunch of the "QQ Reserve" SACDs on my kitchen counter and took pictures. Here are 20 Sony US SACD's that are sorta rare. Some are sealed so you have to deal with the shrink wrap and stickers:

Set 1: The two John Mayer Sony SACD's, which as I recall were not available for that long. "Room for Squares" was also a DualDisc! (yuk!)
Also, the two versions of James Taylor's "Hourglass". Both have the same mix, just different packaging. This one is not so rare, but it's cool to see both issues side by side (for me anyway)

Set 1 F.jpg

And the backs:

Set 1 B.jpg

Last edited:
Set 2: The Mavin Gaye "Midnight Love" is fairly hard to find (I think). I really don't see it around much. The Blue Oyster Cult and Oasis are absolutely rare.
Not sure about the Train, but I put it in the picture anyway. Train did have stereo SACD's, but this was the only 5.1.

Set 2 F.jpg

And the Backs:

Set 2 B.jpg

Last edited:
Set 3: The Dave Brubeck is a classic title, but it's like "Kind of Blue", been reissued a million times, even as a rare recalled DualDisc. Gloria Estefan's Hits was a short term release, as were the two David Bowie's, so here they are for a look see.

Set 3 F.jpg

And the Backs:

Set 3 B.jpg

Last edited:
Set 4: These guys are all rare. The Toto is very hard to find, but he Isley Brothers and O'Jays have an even higher demand. Well, at least until they surface as D-V discs, if that ever happens. The Live EW&F title is the only way to get "That's the Way of the World" in 5.1, even if it's live.

Set 4 F.jpg

And the backs:

Set 4 B.jpg

Last edited:
and the last, Set 5: Carole King's Tapestry has also been out in many formats. Here's a look at both versions from the Sony SACD era, the first in the cardboard sleeve, the second in the plastic sleeve. The Meatloaf is hard to get and has a hit-or-miss reputation as some of it was reconstructed. The Big Brother and the Holding Company is an odd disc in that it even came out in 5.1 at all. Strange how they decided this stuff.

Set 5 F.jpg

and the backs:

Set 5 B.jpg

Last edited:
Back