Suggestions for Dutton Vocalion Multichannel SACD Releases

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
understandably so, they've been awfully quiet since the January Country batch and then just one new disc for the "April 2019 Release"! we are in uncharted waters now, previous release batch patterns don't apply! could it be the calm before the storm? maybe there's a surround tsunami on it's way.. i hope so! i've got my waterproofs handy just in case there's a deluge of discs! 🌪🌊☔🧜‍♂️

YES, Indeedy, Adam ....... May the Wizened Wizard of Watford RAIN IN BUCKETS on our parade!🌪🌊☔🧜‍♂️

And you're at liberty, Adam, to substitute "Men" with "DISCS!"💿📀💿📀

Last edited:
Since D/V was able and willing to do Return to Forever and Weather Report quad masters in SACD. A Poco two-fer, two Art Garfunkel title, and a few hot R&B titles - I think that the possibilities are there for some more really amazing things.

Now that we’ve waited a while longer than usual - I’m expecting some great things.

And glad to hear there is nothing to worry about, it’s all good. And it’s nice to hear that Michael Dutton knows what we would like most. I hope he has dropped in and read all of our comments.

Last edited:
I'm trying to decide whether to order this now or wait until we know if there are more SACDs on the way for May/June to save on shipping....
I’m in the same boat and wanted to grab the next installment of rock / pop releases before I finalized my order. I still do not have the Poco SACD, so I guess there are enough things now, I can move forward. I was just certain that a Nilsson or Waylon title was going to appear and really get me in the spending mood. It could still happen this month, or is this all there is for now?

Last edited:
There was some discussion today on an alternate thread about the potential availability of an RCA Q8 entitled The Best of Nina Simone and whether or not it WAS actually EVER released. But if the QUAD master tapes do exist I would love some Nina Simone on QUAD SACD

\

See the source image

Since D/V was able and willing to do Return to Forever and Weather Report quad masters in SACD. A Poco two-fer, two Art Garfunkel title, and a few hot R&B titles - I think that the possibilities are there for some more really amazing things.
Yeah, like hey I can hang in another fiscal quarter waiting for some of that rock stuff and another fusion title or two. What’s three of four more months when I’ve been waiting 15 or 20 years for some of these quad titles to show up on a digital disc.

I really want to rock, but would not blame anyone if Neil Diamond turned up as the featured D/V pop disc title. You gotta know D/V has looked into those albums.

In a email I just got announcing the new classical releases:

"Our next batch of titles, due soon, comprise a tantalising selection of soul, Latin, jazz and rock reissues, all of which are in the SACD format."

Yes lets pretend they have just announced the titles: Azteca quad album plus a Dutton remix of their second on a twofer, Flora Purims quad album, Burton Cumming solo quad album, an Ojays quad title the Buddy Miles Santana live album, Eric Carmen's quad album another Tomita quad a few more classical quads plus the Jim Nabors quads.

Im really looking forward to these releases!

The soul title must be something from Philly Int'l, no? Can't go wrong with any of those, though my top picks would be the two O'Jays titles that were only released as matrix LPs (Survival and Family Reunion) and the two Harold Melvin titles (Black & Blue and Wake Up Everybody, another SQ-only selection).

It's also sad to see that lately Dutton has only been releasing mostly elevator music which is also frustrating to see. Art Garfunkel but no Paul Simon. Frustrating.

I’d hardly call Art Garfunkel, Rick Derringer, The Guess Who, Poco, Weather Report, Return To Forever, Pure Prairie League, Billy Paul, Chase, The Hues Corporation, Deodato, Airto, Tower Of Power, Johnnie Taylor, The Main Ingredient, and Tomita “elevator music”.

BTW, as has been mentioned many times before: Paul Simon retains ownership over his masters, which probably makes them far more difficult to license. Not to mention the mysterious cancellation of Sony Japan’s Bridge Over Troubled Water quad SACD back in November 2017, which some have interpreted to mean that he may be against multichannel reissues of his catalog...

Last edited:
Yes lets pretend they have just announced the titles: Azteca quad album plus a Dutton remix of their second on a twofer, Flora Purims quad album, Burton Cumming solo quad album, an Ojays quad title the Buddy Miles Santana live album, Eric Carmen's quad album another Tomita quad a few more classical quads plus the Jim Nabors quads.

Im really looking forward to these releases!
I’d be in for all! Except the Nabors. Sorry, Jim. :(

Back