Suggestions for Dutton Vocalion Multichannel SACD Releases

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
to my shame i've a Q4 conversion i've never played and a sealed Q8 i've never opened 😔
Crack those puppies open Freddie!
I recently watched a concert of his on either PBS or AXSTV and was thoroughly entertained. His singing was still strong and he had a very talented Rocking band working with him. I could watch it again right now!

W.O.W.
Poker... not face, cart. Ordered all 4

Seriously, i am quite happy i can send to rest my BoGW2 conversions, did both CD4 and Q8 but a SACD from a master is end of the game... Donald Byrd is a happy surprise and one q8 less to convert, so MFSB, and there's room for their other two releases (Street Lady and Love is the Message). Sextant is a no-brainer and it is nice to have also the SQ version, it can be a good test drive for real SQ decoding without all the fuss of lp playback.

Well, the UA vault is opening... let's dream a triple WAR whammy, a 2-disc release with Ghetto and Word, and a single disc release for Live (it does fit a single cd...)

W.O.W.

Seriously, i am quite happy i can send to rest my BoGW2 conversions, did both CD4 and Q8 but a SACD from a master is end of the game... Donald Byrd is a happy surprise and one q8 less to convert, so MFSB, and there's room for their other two releases (Street Lady and Love is the Message). Sextant is a no-brainer and it is nice to have also the SQ version, it can be a good test drive for real SQ decoding without all the fuss of lp playback.

Well, the UA vault is opening... let's dream a triple WAR whammy, a 2-disc release with Ghetto and Word, and a single disc release for Live (it does fit a single cd...)
I’m a pacifist, but bring on the WAR!

W.O.W.

OMG! If they would score WAR (lmao)...that would be classic.

W.O.W.

Wow....a mini WAR QUAD SACD boxset would be PRIMO and provided the QUAD masters are still extant and useable, certainly not out of the realm of possibility since before D~V released a single QUAD SACD they have been offering quality two~fers on RBCD from UMG and its associated labels for years.

Last edited:
If they've found some United Artists tapes, I wonder if it would be possible to do a search for the announced Traffic, Hawkwind, Cornelius Brothers and Canned Heat Quad Masters? Would be nice to finally put to bed the eternally burning question as to whether or not they were really mixed.

Can they get anything from the old Fantasy label? I mean, Donald Byrd is a neat title to get, but I'd be more into the Blackbyrds Q8/CD-4 that came from Fantasy.

Very happy that they did Guess Who's Best #2. Literally, did not expect to read this announcement this morning. I'll be cleaning orange juice out of my keyboard for the next month. I'm semi-interested in the Herbie Hancock title. I find it odd that the Quad Master is missing, (ditto for MFSB! - or misplaced, anyway) but we've run into this before I suppose with the Santana's Lotus album. Either way, I'm sure a "dub" of the Quad Master is fine. Maybe not up to SACD standards, but I'm sure it'll be fine. Really, if it was dubbed from 15 ips to 15 ips on some studio grade equipment, I doubt any of us have the hearing left to tell the difference. Hell, Bobb-o and Jonny G. have made some Q8's sound absolutely fantastic. So, to have a studio-grade dub, yeah, I'm o.k. with that.

I'll be honest, I was really hoping we'd get some O'Jays or maybe some other Philly Int'l Quad..... MFSB's Love is the Message is what I'd really like, but, to get Philadelphia Freedom in discrete for the first time ever, well that's pretty cool too. I hope we get more of those!

War is not controlled by UA, and has not been for many years. Their former manager got the masters (and control of their name too). He might be willing to deal, but I'd bet D/V have their hands full with Sony, and other avenues available to them at this time.

1) I'm not in a hurry...
2) maybe their former manager can see some flying bucks on that and propose himself to MD for a quad War release. :SB

Forgot the AG’s were not a two-fer, and didn’t remember the BP being double the price. But in any case I’d prefer fewer discs where possible.

Is Firebird really 50 minutes? I know Daphne & Chloe wasn’t that long. How was that fit on a single CD-4 disc?
I’ve got a mint copy somewhere. With the extra-limited playing time of CD-4, 25 minutes per side seems impossible even cut at low levels — which all later Quadradiscs were.

In any case I was not complaining.
Just wondering why some titles and not others.
The Hair CD4 LP was over 50 min.

Forgot the AG’s were not a two-fer, and didn’t remember the BP being double the price. But in any case I’d prefer fewer discs where possible.

Is Firebird really 50 minutes? I know Daphne & Chloe wasn’t that long. How was that fit on a single CD-4 disc?
I’ve got a mint copy somewhere. With the extra-limited playing time of CD-4, 25 minutes per side seems impossible even cut at low levels — which all later Quadradiscs were.

In any case I was not complaining.
Just wondering why some titles and not others.

IIRC, the Billy Paul 2-fer wasn’t double the price. Like $19.99 for the 2 disc set?

But I’m sure all sorts of considerations go into whether to make something a 2-fer or not including licensing costs and how many they think they can sell. It seems the Billy Pauls didn’t pencil out for them as individual releases at $14.99 each, but they both couldn’t fit on one disc so they went with a compromise they thought was best.

The Tomitas, in addition to be too long to put 2-per-disc seem to be selling fine as individual sets. Didn’t they just sell out of one and have to repress it?

Like others here I am ordering all 4 new ones...already got the two Tomitas. After 6 months wait and the promise of an "imminent" release of treasures I am a little underwhelmed at what has arrived but I am getting them and look forward to more from DV. I am sure they are doing their best.
I’m looking at it as the closer we get to having every old quad title released on disc the better. Whether the “good” stuff comes later—or even not at all, for whatever reason—I’d certainly love to have all this stuff released rather than not.

And I doubt it’s a matter of anyone saying “let’s hold back on those EWF titles and push the MFSB disc out instead!” I trust they are doing all they can within whatever limitations they are presented with.

It’s still a bit of a small miracle that we are getting any of it these days.

With all the Guess Who quad that DV has released any chance they can get the Burton Cummings quad lp? And looking further down the family tree how about some BTO? Will Artificial Paradise be in the next batch?

Geez, it must be getting harder and harder to run a reissue company. Most especially if you're the only one in the entire world releasing quality QUAD SACDs [I don't count SONY Japan as they're NOT, technically, a reissue company]. Poor Audio Fidelity went belly up after releasing approximately 31 QUAD/5.1 SACDs ......MoFi released eight titles and then went strictly mono/stereo hybrid SACD and AP releases one of two every so often as they're really into VINYL [as is MoFi].

And the truth is, Dutton Vocalion who until a few scant years ago ran a successful reissue company......releasing mostly RBCDs ......in easy listening, big band and classical genres ....suddenly dives head first into releasing quality hybrid SACDs which are certainly more expensive and time consuming to produce. And unheard of, especially from 2016~the present....priced them at first £10.99 and then £11.99 for 2 complete QUAD albums on one hybrid SACD when competing reissue companies are still commanding $30~35 list for a single STEREO/MONO SACD.

While Rock 'n Roll has NEVER been a staple of D~V's business model, Michael J. Dutton has graciously overextended himself by releasing a slew of choice Rock, Soul and Funk[y] chestnuts which heretofore had ONLY been heard on Matrix/CD~4 vinyl or Q8 which were manufactured in the early to late 70's, some outstanding Jazz titles from the Columbia and CTI labels [and with the newly released Donald Byrd from the UMG catalogue] and of course a LOT of easy listening QUAD SACDs which IN ALL FAIRNESS cater to his LOYAL base as they also contain an RBCD layer [bless the multifaceted SACD]. In addition, from the RCA/Columbia QUAD catalogue, Michael has also given us some outstanding classical titles and of course some originals from his own EPOCH label which he has meticulously recorded and mastered himself.

So if you can rationally wrap your heads around what this wonderful Wizardly man has accomplished in just a few years ....... literally hundreds of meticulously crafted QUAD originals/reissues which in the case of the QUAD reissues entails licensing agreements, rummaging through hordes of QUAD masters to determine what is and isn't useable, mastering said product which also include, in most cases, original liner notes newly commissioned from our own man of letters, Steelydave of Toronto, I could honestly say he's done a YEOMAN'S job.

So QQ Posters ..... you still can't always get what you want........you still have to suffer through titles which your Grammy or Grandpappy in their ancient recliners 'rock to' but you have to admit, Michael J. Dutton is trying his damnest to satisfy a tribe of surround enthusiasts who no matter what is released will continue to B M and C that such and such a title has not been released.

And as steelydave poignantly pointed out .... Michael IS FULLY aware of what WE want but consider this: those titles may be prohibitively expensive to license, are off the table for whatever reasons or they might through some miracle still be available for future D~V release.

So DON'T WORRY .... and [try to] BE HAPPY and most of all BE PATIENT. D~V is not a major comglomerate and let's face it ..... M. Dutton is very MUCH on OUR SIDE so continue to support his efforts.

And as Michael says on his website ...... BUY NOW or REPENT because down the road some of these titles across all genres will be fetching BIG BUCKS on ebay, Discogs and from Amazon third party vendors.

And all those schmaltzy Easy Listening SACD two~fers from Percy, Ray and Hank [Mancini] will one day comfort you in your Golden Years when you become Grannies and Grampas feebly sitting by the fire in the comfort of your well worn fabric or leather recliners with fido or Edwina the cat by your side or your talkative Parrot Ezra squawking 🦜kick out the jams motherfu**ers!

And if you still don't GET IT ...... Start your own reissue company!

Last edited:
Geez, it must be getting harder and harder to run a reissue company. Most especially if you're the only one in the entire world releasing quality QUAD SACDs [I don't count SONY Japan as they're NOT a reissue company].

It is a challenge. Sony and Warner/Rhino have the edge here since they own the masters they reissue in Stereo and Surround SACD.

Will Artificial Paradise be in the next batch?

I’d hope not. The quad mix is completely fake - it sounds like they put the stereo mix in the front channels, then placed an echoey time-delayed copy of it in the rear channels. Flavours and Power In The Music are also fake quad.

On the other hand, all of the earlier albums released in quad (Wheatfield Soul, Canned Wheat, American Woman, Share The Land) are genuine remixes from the multitracks. Those are all mixed in the same style as the GH Vol. I - not a whole lot of obvious discrete placement of instruments, but a lot of active panning between speakers. "When Friends Fall Out" from American Woman has the lead guitar endlessly spinning around the room for the entire song. I'd certainly support D-V tackling those as a series of two-fers if they chose to, but what would be really cool is if they could dig up unreleased quad mixes of So Long Bannatyne and Live At The Paramount.

I think those who've heard them all would agree that Road Food and GH Vol. II are the best Guess Who quad mixes. #10 is pretty good too, but the "vocal in all four channels" mixing style isn't my favorite.

Last edited:
Back