June 2019 DV Releases (MFSB, Guess Who, Herbie Hancock, and Donald Byrd)

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Or worse ... maybe the quad master is lost, as with Sextant. That would suck big time, but my guess is that’s the case. Since when do CBS quad masters disappear? First I’ve ever heard of that, but where there’s one missing tape, there are others. Don’t think Michael D would stick us with a stereo flip-side without a reason.

Speaking of two-fers, do we really need to get two Tomita albums as standalone releases? I’d like to have Daphne and Chloe to replace my Japanese CD-4 (the one that I haven’t played since 1980). And I wouldn’t mind Firebird from the master tape. But with the crapbunch of quad Tomita’s out there, can’t we pair them up? Or does Isao’s output somehow command a loftier position than — oh, I dunno — Art Garfunkel? Or Billy Paul?

If that’s how it must be, then be it must.
I’d just like to know why.
The length? Most of those Tomita albums run around 50 minutes.

And the Art Garfunkel’s aren’t two-fers either.

... Or does Isao’s output somehow command a loftier position than — oh, I dunno — Art Garfunkel? Or Billy Paul?

the Art Garfunkel’s were single album sacds, the billy paul 2 album set was also double the price so im not seeing your point.

Granted weve been given some single price two-fers for which im very grateful (deodato, guess who, poco) but ive not had an issue with buying single album releases such as art garfunkel, return to forever, santana, tomita etc

the Art Garfunkel’s were single album sacds, the billy paul 2 album set was also double the price so im not seeing your point.

Granted weve been given some single price two-fers for which im very grateful (deodato, guess who, poco) but ive not had an issue with buying single album releases such as art garfunkel, return to forever, santana, tomita etc

Yep. I’m grateful for the 2-fers. At the price these discs are sold for, I can’t imagine complaining more of them aren’t 2-fers

the Art Garfunkel’s were single album sacds, the billy paul 2 album set was also double-priced so im not seeing your point.

Forgot the AG’s were not a two-fer, and didn’t remember the BP being double the price. But in any case I’d prefer fewer discs where possible.

Is Firebird really 50 minutes? I know Daphne & Chloe wasn’t that long. How was that fit on a single CD-4 disc?
I’ve got a mint copy somewhere. With the extra-limited playing time of CD-4, 25 minutes per side seems impossible even cut at low levels — which all later Quadradiscs were.

In any case I was not complaining.
Just wondering why some titles and not others.

However - I am a bit bummed about two things, one being the master tape situation with Sextant (obviously not the fault of D-V) and the other being that the MFSB release isn't a two-fer with the quad mix of Love Is The Message (which included "TSOP", the Soul Train theme). I guess they're saving one for another batch down the line.

Philadelphia Freedom would have been a 2fer with Love is the Message but it is (or at least was, at the time that D-V enquired) under license to another label in the UK at the moment so it wasn't avaiable. I'm sure if the situation changes in that regard in the future that it will definitely be on D-V's radar, especially if the Philadelphia Freedom/Summertime disc sells well. So there's no nefarious reason for this happening, and it's not due to any missing master tapes either, I can put that supposition to bed.

I know stereo mixes are a secondary concern for people here, but as a long-time collector of this kind of music I've heard pretty much every digital release of the stereo versions of both Philadelphia Freedom and Summertime and every single one of them has had its dynamic range compressed to some extent. The ones I ended up living with were both DR10, but these albums should be more in the DR12-DR14 range and I'm looking forward to retiring these versions when the new D-V SACD shows up.

ps. pedantry time, do the Quads Miller Nevada did on DTS CD licenced from Universal/Polygram count? the Moody Blues, the Clapton's, Allman Brothers, Bachman Turner Overdrive, etc.?

I didn't count those because they were done before all of the mergers that created the UMG we know today. Whichever way you slice it however, this is definitely the first hi-rez quad "pop" reissue licensed out of the Universal vaults.

I am posing this question which I'm hoping to receive a candid reply [if you're at liberty to do so]: Has D~V EVER been in negotiations with RHINO/WARNER to release any QUAD product? Or is/was that a myth? Would love for that nagging question to be answered once and for all and I know I'm not alone.

I think for obvious reasons, I wouldn't be able to comment on this regardless if it were true or not. Mike is fully aware of what's "out there" in terms of quad (and I've provided him detailed spreadsheets for every label as well) so I'm sure he'd take an opportunity with Warners if it presented itself.

Speaking of two-fers, do we really need to get two Tomita albums as standalone releases? I’d like to have Daphne and Chloe to replace my Japanese CD-4 (the one that I haven’t played since 1980). And I wouldn’t mind Firebird from the master tape. But with the crapbunch of quad Tomita’s out there, can’t we pair them up? Or does Isao’s output somehow command a loftier position than — oh, I dunno — Art Garfunkel? Or Billy Paul?

There are a variety of reasons that an album could be a single (legal, financial, etc.) that we'll never be privy to, but the simple fact of the Tomita releases is that Daphnis et Chloe is over 50 minutes long, and Firebird is well over 48 minutes, so even if D-V wanted to do them as a 2fer it wouldn't be possible given the 78-80 minute constraint of a single hybrid SACD.

Mostly unknowed music to me.Checked them out on Spotify but nothing was worth a buy for me.Happy for all of you who like these.(y)

Well, I go on and on and on about it, but really...that Hancock album is an obvious 5-star affair for me. It is a truly groundbreaking album. It's an album I would buy on SACD even if it only had the stereo mix. With the quad mix, it could easily end up as reissue of the year for me.

Well, I go on and on and on about it, but really...that Hancock album is an obvious 5-star affair for me. It is a truly groundbreaking album. It's an album I would buy on SACD even if it only had the stereo mix. With the quad mix, it could easily end up as reissue of the year for me.

I listened to that sextant album last nite on utube thru my phone...sounds really cool...would love to hear it thru my system in quad...not real familiar w herbie...but liking his music....will be on my to order list

I listened to that sextant album last nite on utube thru my phone...sounds really cool...would love to hear it thru my system in quad...not real familiar w herbie...but liking his music....will be on my to order list
The Headhunters surround SACD is probably his most well known and very good to.

Like others here I am ordering all 4 new ones...already got the two Tomitas. After 6 months wait and the promise of an "imminent" release of treasures I am a little underwhelmed at what has arrived but I am getting them and look forward to more from DV. I am sure they are doing their best.

For those who have never heard Sextant in quad, you are in for a real treat. The mix is superb! I'm glad to be upgrading to sacd

I'd say it's one of those titles where you haven't really heard it until you've heard it in quad - much like Bitches Brew. It's actually the highest-rated title in the quad LPs/tapes poll.

Screen Shot 2019-06-15 at 8.32.33 PM.png

This batch of reissues is underwhelming? Boy, I think some of you have your expectations too high. What could you possibly expect that's any higher profile than this, and still within reach for D-V? War? Unreleased Mahavishnu, Stanley Clarke or Joni Mitchell? The core Santana albums? I am sure Michael Dutton would do any of those in a heartbeat, but I have a hard time seeing those licensed.

I will say that D-V have filled a need with me. My musical tastes are all over the place and maybe not the same as other peoples. I have had one of my personal favourites released, Rockin' Soul. and have bought a decent number of others. I would have already bought these four if I had the ready cash to lay out. I will be buying all four new titles at the end of the month. Why is there always so much month left at the end of the money? I would say that there are very few quads that I want bad enough that I haven't already found in analogue or dirgital. I can say that D-V has taken a bite out of my analogue hunting for quads as it is actually cheaper and better quality to buy the SACDs. I would have liked the two MFSB quads on one disc, but I will guess for now that the other one may still need the master to be found. This way I won't lose hope. I am certainly satisfied with the way things are going with D-V and like the surprises every few months. Call me a happy camper, which is better than my last nick name of the happy hooker (I knit, lol).

Back