Listening to Now (In Surround) - Volume 2

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The Alan Parsons Project - Eye In The Sky

90AFF74E-9D35-4768-A448-295490E4C141.jpeg

Listening now to the 2019 SW remix of Tangerine Dream-Ricochet, 5.1 Blu Ray DTS-HD MSTR 24/96.
I would never know this was a live recording except for audience in beginning. These Tangerine Dream discs can go volume low or higher. They do create a certain ambience at differnt listening levels. This one I am listening to at 50db which is just right as there is good drum sounds.

"Oedipus Tyrannus" from Tangerine Dream "In Search Of Hades" box, brilliant Steven Wilson 5.1 mix of this fabled lost album. I've blathered about this in other threads. Can't...stop...listening.....help....me.View attachment 41181

You've been a member since 2008 (y) and only 40 postso_O...please "blather" as much as you want...you owe it to yourself...be active on the threads...we need members like YOU to come forward and join in:cool:

BS&T - Mirror Image

mirror_image_quad.jpg

I don't think this album is particularly well-regarded in the BS&T canon (almost the entire classic line-up had left before it was recorded), but I think it's a real hidden gem in the CBS quad catalog.

Stylistically, it's incredibly diverse. You definitely won't find "Spinning Wheel" or "Go Down Gamblin'" here. It starts off with an almost disco/soul-type number ("Tell Me That I'm Wrong"), and most of side two is fusion-y instrumental prog weirdness (the epic multi-part "Mirror Image" suite). New vocalists Jerry LaCroix (previously featured on Edgar Winter's White Trash) and Jerry Fisher sound nothing like David Clayton-Thomas or even Al Kooper, but they're solid in their own right and there's some great interplay between them.

The quad mix is fantastic! The layout of the instruments is very similar to the Chicago quads: stereo drums, bass guitar, and vocals across the fronts, with different horn parts, backing vocals, synthesizers, and percussion isolated in the rear speakers. I'd also say it's quite a bit better than the BS&T self-titled album and greatest hits quad mixes, which in discrete form sound almost as if the four discrete channels were somehow blended together by accident.

I've said it before, but I think this title paired with the following album New City (which also has an excellent quad mix, and features David Clayton-Thomas back on vocals) would make a killer D-V two-fer. But until that happens, both the SQ LP and Q8 are surprisingly good examples of their respective formats :)

Last edited:
Back