Listening to Now (In Surround) - Volume 2

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
When I am by myself, I drink and I pull out all the fucking bad ass 5.1, loud, blow my ears, I don't care, the neighbors know I am still alive and well.
Peace and love to all.
61KDrE+79TL.jpg

This 5.1 MLP DVD A is a reference disc. My nose is bleeding. If you can't afford it, then you have to find a way. I am lost in oblivion. Don't fuck around, buy it.
View attachment 43606
DAMN @marpow! You having quite the phuquing knight! My wife didn't go out; she's in the other room grading papers--she was nice enough to give up her favorite grading spot so I could crank up some surround! But our place is so small, and I be shakin these walls, so I can't go your route. Instead, in honor of my wife's generosity, I'm taking an estrogen tack:

1571542165265.png

Dolly Phuquing Parton -- Little Phuquing Sparrow! Oh HELL yeah! Turn that mother phuquing fouler UP!

DAMN @marpow! You having quite the phuquing knight! My wife didn't go out; she's in the other room grading papers--she was nice enough to give up her favorite grading spot so I could crank up some surround! But our place is so small, and I be shakin these walls, so I can't go your route. Instead, in honor of my wife's generosity, I'm taking an estrogen tack:

View attachment 43607

Dolly Phuquing Parton -- Little Phuquing Sparrow! Oh HELL yeah! Turn that mother phuquing fouler UP!
I love Dolly Parton

This arrived today:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07VSJ77KJ/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Max Cooper's EMERGENCE. Whoa! As it started with simple geometric forms, I found myself listening more to the Atmos mix -- very cool -- but as the figures and music became more involved, I found myself mesmerized by the what was unfolding before my eyes, as sight and sound merged in a cosmic evolution of, well, everything!

Unlike most "novelties," I can see myself watching this again and again: it made me think I could almost understand higher mathematics, as the cosmic thread became galaxies became black holes, and worms and jellyfish emerged from the same principles.

A recommended head trip! Made me yearn for the intoxicants of my college years 🍄 -- but it wasn't necessary!
My copy arrived yesterday. I got a chance to listen to most of it late last night and I agree with all of your comments about the music and visuals It takes its time building up which turned out to be too slow for my visiting brother-in-law after a long day...he dozed off. After a while I felt guilty about his head bobbing up to consciousness and then back out again so I swapped out the disk for Kenny Wayne Shepard - the traveler which kept him awake for the rest of his visit.
Anyway, I think this is a great disk to show what is possible with visuals and Atmos music! I think it is great to have the option of watching psychedelic images while listening to music and these images work very well with the music, or the music works very well with the images....
Highly recommended! - if you like electronic ambient spacey trippy non-traditional music...

Last edited:
Michel Legrand has never been well represented on hi res physical disc. His remarkable career included brilliant soundtracks for many a memorable movie and one of my very favorite collaborations was this brilliant 1966 album with Barbra Streisand in which his arrangements are never short of STUNNING

I’m not familiar with this album but when I attempted to read the title it looked like it was My Name Is Barbra...
(I don’t speak French) and I do remember listening to my parents copy of that record when it was released. It was one of a few “child friendly“ albums they had and my sisters and I enjoyed listening and singing along with her...
If I come across this album, I’ll give it a try.

I'm sorry you think you wasted your time on your review. I find your review most thorough and informative. Your specific support really helps this reader understand your p.o.v. I appreciate thorough, heartfelt, and well-supported reviews; hell, I'd give your review a 10! Your review reminded me of a problem I have with some polls. I'm not sure if this Audio Fidelity is a Must Hear:

View attachment 43601 George Benson Breezin'

The POLL opened in December of 2004. Until August of 2014, the reviewers were rating and commenting on a 2001 DVD-A release. After that point, most, if not all, reviewers are commenting on the Audio Fidelity SACD. There are positive and negative comments on both releases. Ultimately, the poll rates the title as a 7.33. I understand keeping the two releases under one umbrella since the 5.1 mix is the same, but many comment on a fine tuning of the Audio Fidelity release that lessens or eliminates what many found problematic on the DVD-A release. Ima keep listening and decide if this makes my AF Must Hear releases, until then, WRITE ON @Hamilton59 -- I appreciate the time you put into crafting your responses! Stay Surrounded, comrades!
Hey, thank you for the supportive comments. I really hated being such a new member and having to write such a negative review for a title that several people seem to enjoy. Perhaps it will save someone the same disappointment.

Yacht...Chain Tripping
I like this a lot.

Great mix
Artistic graphics
Nice poppy songs

But what cuts it for me is the Atmos mix
Very involved..no pun intended
I dont ever use 7.1 as prescribed
I play all Atmos via 11.1

Gives so much oomph to the 360 degree enjoyment ( again no pun intended, or was it? )

Last edited:
Ferry Corsten
Blueprint

Again playing this through 11.1
Although it's a 9.1 Auro- 3D mix

This tells a tale of a extra terrestrial being made from our planet.

The mix recieved a lukewarm reception here on QQ but it's sounding great through my set up. I have said before that my rears are raised for my own personal preference and I suspect that helps the overall surround sound.

Update:
On closer listening, the height speakers are used almost exclusively for a fair amount of the mix. That could be where some folk are having problems fully appreciating this mix.
It is a musical concept that, combined with the story line, is rapidly growing with me.

Last edited:
Back