Which albums would you like to hear in 5.1 surround?

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
All I can say is like wow, always and never are two words that should be used with extreme caution. I too have listened and regularly still listen to OUTSTANDING stem remixes by those mentioned above as well as several other unmentioned members here. I consider myself a sick surroundhead audiophile and I can hearby attest to the fact that many of these remixes are clean and discrete and highly enjoyable, I am not sure exactly where these stems are attained from and yes some are dirty and compressed but almost every one that I have heard in the last few years has been excellent. In fact, in several cases I prefer the stem mix to a professional mix. the same is true with many upmixes. The assembly of those stems is truly an art in my opinion, and yes sometimes there are elements missing from the stem mixes but that is all part of the fun, happy listening to all.
What is all available and where can these stem mixes be found? Curious minds want to know!

All I can say is like wow, always and never are two words that should be used with extreme caution. I too have listened and regularly still listen to OUTSTANDING stem remixes by those mentioned above as well as several other unmentioned members here. I consider myself a sick surroundhead audiophile and I can hearby attest to the fact that many of these remixes are clean and discrete and highly enjoyable, I am not sure exactly where these stems are attained from and yes some are dirty and compressed but almost every one that I have heard in the last few years has been excellent. In fact, in several cases I prefer the stem mix to a professional mix. the same is true with many upmixes. The assembly of those stems is truly an art in my opinion, and yes sometimes there are elements missing from the stem mixes but that is all part of the fun, happy listening to all.
I said "the end results always disappoint" above. Don't get me wrong though. There are examples that turned out to a good degree of excellent at the same time. Definitely examples that wiped the floor with the stereo mix as released! Still frustrating and disappointing work though. You're battling restoration work around the portable device "mastering" treatment and there's only so much you can restore. (Meanwhile, you know the actual multitracks free of all that damage exist but you can't have them!) Even if the mix turns out as well as possible in the circumstances, there's still that element of disappointment with the damage and permanently lost fidelity. So it's a special kind of evil!

All Roxy Music, all albums between the first and last one.
Al Stewart "Year of the Cat" and "Time Passages"
R.E.M. First four albums, IMHO their best albums.
Hayward and Lodge; "Bluejays" on SACD.
Badfinger: "Straight Up" and "No Dice".

Reddit used to have a thread called song stems which was updated daily. Sometimes 32bit stems were leaked. Real shame it got shut down, due to copyright issues I believe. Some of them sounded superb. High resolution.

The real ones out there came from audio school students sharing them. Some of the audio engineering schools (which used to be a thing that existed for a spell) would get legit undamaged copies of the multitracks for popular songs. Sometimes engineers and artists would get side gigs teaching at one of these schools and the connection came from that.

A-ha - Hunting High and Low
Al Stewart - Year of the Cat
Alan Parsons Project - The Turn of a Friendly Card
The Cars - Heartbeat City
Electric Light Orchestra - A New World Record
Electric Light Orchestra - Out of the Blue
Electric Light Orchestra - Discovery
Electric Light Orchestra - Time
Eurythmics - Sweet Dreams
Dave Grusin - Discovered Again [Sheffield]
The Moody Blues - Long Distance Voyager
The Moody Blues - The Other Side of Life
Yes - 90125
Kraft & Alexander - Tchaikovsky - 1812 - Nutcracker Suite

(edit) Adding these albums to my wish list:
Christopher Cross - Christopher Cross
Pablo Cruise ‎– Lifeline
Pablo Cruise ‎– A Place in the Sun
Hiroshima - Hiroshima
Lincoln Mayorga and Distinguished Colleagues ‎– Volume II - The Missing Linc [Sheffield]
Queen ‎– A Day at the Races
Styx ‎– Kilroy Was Here

Last edited:
Styx: Equinox, Crystal Ball, Grand Illusion
Rush: Permanent Waves
Queen: II
Kansas: any
Manfred Mann's Earth Band: Nightingales, Roaring Silence, Chance [and others]
Alan Parsons: I Robot, Pyramid
Elton: Don't Shoot Me, Rock of the Westies
Led Zep: Houses of the Holy
Paul McCartney: RAM
Riverside: what isn't already out

All probably been said before by others; this includes some as yet unreissued quad versions. Keep in mind that for most groups mentioned here, other albums (that haven't had multichannel releases) besides the ones mentioned would be welcome as well. I'm also aware of the problems for specific records (e.g. Yes' Going For the One has missing multitrack tapes, Animals being announced by AP in 2018, and now unacknowledged, etc), but this is a WISH List after all:

Roxy Music - Avalon
Pink Floyd: Animals; The Wall (!!!!)
Roger Waters - Pros And Cons Of Hitchhiking
Steely Dan - Aja !!! ...(and all the LP-released quad titles)
Ash Ra Tempel - Seven Up
10 CC - The Original Soundtrack
Gentle Giant - In A Glass House
Yes - Going For the One
ELP - Works I
John Lennon - Walls And Bridges
Mahavishnu Orchestra - Between Nothingness And Eternity [both nights complete while they're at it!]
Focus - Moving Waves
Steve Miller - The Joker
Hayward/Lodge - Blue Jays
Mountain - Flowers Of Evil
Jefferson Airplane - Volunteers
Jefferson Starship - Dragonfly
Hot Tuna - Yellow Fever
Joni Mitchell - Court And Spark; Hissing Of Summer Lawns
Kraftwerk - Autobahn
Modern Jazz Quartet - Plastic Dreams
Renaissance - Turn Of The Cards
Satana - Caravanserai, Welcome...(and all the other LP-released quad titles)
Santana/McLaughlin - Love Devotion Surrender
Frank Zappa - Overnite Sensation; Apostrophe
Tangerine Dream - Alpha Centauri; Atem

All probably been said before by others; this includes some as yet unreissued quad versions. Keep in mind that for most groups mentioned here, other albums (that haven't had multichannel releases) besides the ones mentioned would be welcome as well. I'm also aware of the problems for specific records (e.g. Yes' Going For the One has missing multitrack tapes, Animals being announced by AP in 2018, and now unacknowledged, etc), but this is a WISH List after all:

Roxy Music - Avalon
Ash Ra Tempel - Seven Up
Yes - Going For the One
ELP - Works I
Mahavishnu Orchestra - Between Nothingness And Eternity [both nights complete while they're at it!]
Focus - Moving Waves
Steve Miller - The Joker
Hot Tuna - Yellow Fever
Kraftwerk - Autobahn

just in case you don’t have it already, there‘s an old out of print 5.1 SACD of Avalon well worth tracking down, it’s excellent

Roxy Music - Avalon
Ash Ra Tempel - Seven Up
Yes - Going For the One
ELP - Works I
Focus - Moving Waves
Steve Miller - The Joker
Hot Tuna - Yellow Fever
Kraftwerk - Autobahn
Very nice list and welcome to the QQ forum !!!

Back