Which albums would you like to hear in 5.1 surround?

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Mamouna by Bryan Ferry could be an absolute killer in 5.1. Underrated during its initial release, a quarter century on it seems like such a ghostly album, with a typically dense mix and skeletons for tunes. Listening to the various swirling synths, multiple guitarists and Eno treatments coming from all sides would be a total treat.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mamouna by Bryan Ferry could be an absolute killer in 5.1. Underrated during its initial release, a quarter century on it seems like such a ghostly album, with a typically dense mix and skeletons for tunes. Listening to the various swirling synths, multiple guitarists and Eno treatments coming from all sides would be a total treat.

Amen, brother. Eno particularly is under-served by not only not having surround versions of his albums, but none on hi fidelity (the Dutch HDCD pressings of his first four solo albums are all that are available, as far as I know. No SACD, even . . . that said, they sound great!). In another thread I ranted about HDCD being dropped on the newer players. I mean, Joni Mitchell, like Eno, only has her major albums available in HDCD! I could list others. . . .

I woke up this morning with a deep craving for lush 80s music. Maybe it's the bitter cold reminding me of the cold war. I so want Alphaville's Forever Young in surround sound right now. I'd give a little finger just for Sounds Like A Melody.

Someone on google groups has done a 5.1 UpMix of this one. Normally I would not waste my time with upmixes and prefer to use Dolby PL2 but this one is really quite good and has earned itself a place in my collection.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
So true. I read a biography about Mr. Ferry and I remember he took forever in the studio to get a certain mood on this album. Besides Eno he used 4 guitar players including Phil Manzanera & Robin Trower. A M/C mix would do this great justice.

quite a few albums I'd love to hear in 5.1 - here's a few that spring to mind
Rush - Grace Under Pressure, Counterparts
Jean Michel Jarre - Zoolook
Todd Rundgren - Something/Anything / A Wizard a True Star
Zappa - Over Nite Sensation / The Grand Wazoo
Deep Purple - In Rock
Alice Cooper - Killer
Led Zeppelin - 4 / Houses of the Holy / Physical Graffiti
Focus - Moving Waves

Point Of Know Return gives a nice surround effect thru Dolby PLII Music and/or the Involve mode of the Surround Master, as do several other classic Kansas tracks.

oh and there's a superb 5.1 from multi's of Carry On My Wayward Son, mixed by one of our very own here at QQ!
On the subject of fan-made surround mixes, is there a master list somewhere of the really good ones? I know we wouldn’t be able to directly post files or links, but at least if we knew what’s out there and knew what to look for, that would help. With all the Rock Band stems floating around, I bet there are some good ones.

Maybe that could be its own thread, unless someone already started one.

On the subject of fan-made surround mixes, is there a master list somewhere of the really good ones? I know we wouldn’t be able to directly post files or links, but at least if we knew what’s out there and knew what to look for, that would help. With all the Rock Band stems floating around, I bet there are some good ones.

Maybe that could be its own thread, unless someone already started one.

that's a great topic! (y)

i've heard some great stuff over the years, both from stems and upmixes so good you'd swear they were from stems! if i just put out the bat signal to a few of our very own, including people like @skherbeck @HomerJAU @holland123 @DKA @sukothai and the main man himself, we might get some info to get the ball rolling, perhaps someone can start a new thread if one hasn't been done already, definitely deserving of it yes!

The Rock Band and Guitar Hero stems are a special kind of evil! They are in fact separated stems produced from the original multitrack recordings. Only 4 stereo pairs usually though. And with all the production associated with those tracks baked in. For example: Were there 4 guitar parts and some delay fx and a couple other things dialed up? That's all going to be submixed to a single stereo pair. They separated it into vocals, instruments, bass, drums.

These stems have been run through the meatgrinder really hard too. The individule stems are hyped up like a volume war CD. Both dynamically slammed and a bionic treble boost. Then low bitrate mp3. Just stepped on and distorted all to high hell! (So that it's loud through a 2" TV speaker from your Playstation plugged into the TV.)

You discover the prep for creating these submixes from the multitracks was very rushed and riddled with mistakes. The last half beat in the last measure of a guitar solo might be in the vocal stem. Super sloppy with the editing and they just didn't care. Just getting started prepping to mix from these is a jigsaw puzzle to put back together with all that.

Most of your mix time is battling the distortion from all the damage. It's a labor of love and the end results always disappoint.

That all said...
There are some albums out there where the CD editions are all volume war hash. Some of those are stepped on so hard that you can genuinely do better from those stepped on Rock Band stems! And there are some fan-made remixes that accomplish just that. :)

Myself, I think I'd rather beat my head against a wall than attempt another remix from any of these stems any time soon!

Some of the old copies of out of print surround albums are pretty stepped on too but we still try to collect what's left of them. It can be a difficult choice when you have to decide between normal sound but only stereo vs surround but with degraded lo-fi sound.

A poll for rating/describing these sounds like a great idea!

The Rock Band and Guitar Hero stems are a special kind of evil! They are in fact separated stems produced from the original multitrack recordings. Only 4 stereo pairs usually though. And with all the production associated with those tracks baked in. For example: Were there 4 guitar parts and some delay fx and a couple other things dialed up? That's all going to be submixed to a single stereo pair. They separated it into vocals, instruments, bass, drums.

These stems have been run through the meatgrinder really hard too. The individule stems are hyped up like a volume war CD. Both dynamically slammed and a bionic treble boost. Then low bitrate mp3. Just stepped on and distorted all to high hell! (So that it's loud through a 2" TV speaker from your Playstation plugged into the TV.)

You discover the prep for creating these submixes from the multitracks was very rushed and riddled with mistakes. The last half beat in the last measure of a guitar solo might be in the vocal stem. Super sloppy with the editing and they just didn't care. Just getting started prepping to mix from these is a jigsaw puzzle to put back together with all that.

Most of your mix time is battling the distortion from all the damage. It's a labor of love and the end results always disappoint.

That all said...
There are some albums out there where the CD editions are all volume war hash. Some of those are stepped on so hard that you can genuinely do better from those stepped on Rock Band stems! And there are some fan-made remixes that accomplish just that. :)

Myself, I think I'd rather beat my head against a wall than attempt another remix from any of these stems any time soon!

Some of the old copies of out of print surround albums are pretty stepped on too but we still try to collect what's left of them. It can be a difficult choice when you have to decide between normal sound but only stereo vs surround but with degraded lo-fi sound.

A poll for rating/describing these sounds like a great idea!
Thanks @jimfisheye and @fredblue for your responses. I don’t have any ambition or skill to tackle one of these mixes myself, but if someone’s already done the dirty work, I’m more than happy to listen!

All I can say is like wow, always and never are two words that should be used with extreme caution. I too have listened and regularly still listen to OUTSTANDING stem remixes by those mentioned above as well as several other unmentioned members here. I consider myself a sick surroundhead audiophile and I can hearby attest to the fact that many of these remixes are clean and discrete and highly enjoyable, I am not sure exactly where these stems are attained from and yes some are dirty and compressed but almost every one that I have heard in the last few years has been excellent. In fact, in several cases I prefer the stem mix to a professional mix. the same is true with many upmixes. The assembly of those stems is truly an art in my opinion, and yes sometimes there are elements missing from the stem mixes but that is all part of the fun, happy listening to all.

Back