Look at what just turned up here!

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm interested to see that the OLED tv's have come into their own. Up until around 12 years or so ago I was selling consumer electronics for a few years. Back then, the Pioneer Elite plasmas were easily the best picture/processing around, and OLED's were still only around 10" big at most. Currently I have an older Panasonic (post Pioneer buyout) 42 that I got for around $350 on craigslist that kills, and an older Pansonic 42 for $80 on craigslist. I still love plasma picture the most and of course old school CRT for black levels and contrast, but judging by what you all are saying, by the time my tv's bite the dust I'll have something great to look forward to.
I had a 50 inch Panasonic plasma that was taken in a burglary it had a great picture I went to get another couldn't find one.

Interesting to see this thread. I just purchased a house with a good sized alcove for a TV in the living room (64" wide, 36" tall, 11" deep), which should fit up to a 70" TV. But it's in a living room with a lot of natural light, and I'm thinking about getting a decent but not expensive TV for that space, and putting my LG 65" C6 OLED in a dedicated media room in the basement. If I have people over they're not likely to be videophiles anyway.

You are absolutely correct, although the plasmas were greatly improved with respects to burn in by the time they were discontinued. Plus for me, I don't really watch sports or news networks. I watch mainly movies and tv shows, so the stationary image thing never comes into play. That was a small advantage of buying used plasmas, as the break in period was all ready over and done with.

From what I remember reading, all the tv's now will have burn in. Some have different things installed to help prevent it but does not stop it. From zdnet
A months-long OLED TV burn-in test on LG models show that after 4,000 hours, logos and static images were vulnerable to permanent image retention,

I had insurance but it was to bad Panasonic got out of making TVs I thought there picture was the best at the time.
They still manufacture TVs, great OLEDS, but they are not in the US market (nor here in Colombia) :-(

I wanted to get a larger (65-70 in) TV for my living room. But if you are accustomed to plasma (a Panny 50) only an OLED will do, and they were three times the price here.

Interesting to see this thread. I just purchased a house with a good sized alcove for a TV in the living room (64" wide, 36" tall, 11" deep), which should fit up to a 70" TV. But it's in a living room with a lot of natural light, and I'm thinking about getting a decent but not expensive TV for that space, and putting my LG 65" C6 OLED in a dedicated media room in the basement. If I have people over they're not likely to be videophiles anyway.

But the room needs some acoustic treatment......there is nothing....am I right?

Nothing special. But. Those honeycomb blinds (air trapped in two pockets) have great heat and sound insulation properties. They deaden the room. I think is the best sounding room I’ve had over the years.

G, you have no idea how jealous I am right now , Atmos, sweet, K

If you ever visit Australia you are very welcome to pay me a visit.

Atmos is great. A shame there’s next to no music available.

(Slightly off topic: Our MCManiac is using Penteo to upmix all of his concerts to Atmos or DTS:X. Penteo supports upmixing above 5.1 but I’ve not tried anything greater. I should try 7.1 since I can play that here. The problem for me trying Atmos or DTS:X upmixing is I need an Atmos or DTS:X encoder, they’re very expensive plus I think they only support ProTools which is another program too expensive for enthusiasts like me)

OLED has gone past plasma now plus OLEDs are all 4K and HDR.

They have great upscaling so even 1080p on a big 4K OLED looks amazing.

I took a photo of the back label for my records and it’s power rating is only 173W. I think my old 60” Pioneer Kuro was getting on to 1KW usage. I know the screen was very hot to touch after an hour or so.

I had insurance but it was to bad Panasonic got out of making TVs I thought there picture was the best at the time.

I had two Pannie PLASMAS and for 3D they were USELESS. Way too Dark. The LG OLEDs are better in EVERY respect and even the 3D image is SPECTACULAR....actually mind boggling! Why all TV manufacturers discontinued 3D after 2016 remains a mystery. Spectacular 3D movies are still being released in Europe and most of them are REGION FREE and relatively inexpensive.

OLED has gone past plasma now plus OLEDs are all 4K and HDR.

They have great upscaling so even 1080p on a big 4K OLED looks amazing.

I took a photo of the back label for my records and it’s power rating is only 173W. I think my old 60” Pioneer Kuro was getting on to 1KW usage. I know the screen was very hot to touch after an hour or so.

That LG OLED will be awesome Garry! 🤠
Was curious if Australia has anything planned there like the USA, for the new ATSC 3.0 broadcasting?
I guess that's supposed to kick in here sometime this year; probably not much content for a while, but I also believe your model is up-gradable to that standard.
ATSC 3.0 will even support Dolby AC-4 / Atmos- IIRC.

We use the European standard here, DVB I think it’s called. I read somewhere there’s a recent extension to that standard but unsure when/how/if it will be implemented locally. There‘s never been 4K TV broadcasts here but our only cable/satellite TV broadcaster has a single 4K channel (different tech).

We use the European standard here, DVB I think it’s called. I read somewhere there’s a recent extension to that standard but unsure when/how/if it will be implemented locally. There‘s never been 4K TV broadcasts here but our only cable/satellite TV broadcaster has a single 4K channel (different tech).

Luckily, in the states, FIOS, NETFLIX and AMAZON PRIME do broadcast in UHD4K and the DOLBY VISION logo lights up on the LG OLED TV. Make sure your LG TV has access to a good WiFi Signal as LG does upgrade the capabilities of its TV via WiFi as does my OPPO 205.

Netflix, Amazon Prime and another Aussie subscription service do 4K Dolby Vision here too. Ethernet wired home, I had that run everywhere when I bought the place in mid 2018.

Most unfortunately, the amount of UHD4K movies 'trickling' from the major studios is disappointing. A lot of them are UPSCALED [from 2K sources] but the few [in comparison] true NATIVE UHD4K films look absolutely stunning on the LG OLED TVs. And unlike a lot of the Network UHD4K broadcasts, they're also in either LOSSLESS DTS: X or ATMOS as opposed to DD5.1.

I've built up quite a collection as I have on order a SONY 3D Laser Projector and a 120" Stewart FILMSCREEN, which unfortunately has been delayed due to the recent pandemic.

Keep an eye out for bargains on UHD4K discs from Zavvi, AmazonUK and frequently, titles as low as $9.99 from AmazonUS.

From what I remember reading, all the tv's now will have burn in. Some have different things installed to help prevent it but does not stop it. From zdnet
A months-long OLED TV burn-in test on LG models show that after 4,000 hours, logos and static images were vulnerable to permanent image retention,
Maybe I misunderstand you but LED/LCD's don't have burn-in issues, only todays OLED.
I remember buying a very expensive rear projector just before flat panels became affordable. I had it less than a year before the A&E logo was permanently burned into the bottom right corner of my screen. :mad:
Yes the new OLED's have good brightness and very black blacks, but no thanks. Once burned twice shy.
I'm perfectly pleased with the blacks on my three year old Sony 75X940D and I don't have to worry about watching any one thing too long or falling asleep a few nights on the same channel.

Back