HiRez Poll Beatles - LOVE [DVD-A]

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rate the DVD-A of The Beatles - LOVE (Soundtrack)

• Total voters
As long as the mix is fully immersive with plenty of discrete elements, I am OK with varying levels of discreteness and even rawness. But for heaven's sake at least make an effort to put together a proper surround mix. The mix Sir George put together for LOVE certainly accomplished that and then some! Simply brilliant!!!

I can understand the purists wanting things to stay as they are. And fortunately for them, they can listen to all the original songs to their heart's desire with the songs packed into these massive box sets!!

The surround mix, on the hand, should be where the artists, engineers, producers, etc... are free to experiment and create a mind-blowing surround sound experience that lifts you right out of your chair!!

I couldn't have said it better, Master Brett!

3973009220_ff31f2b7d1.jpg

Last edited:
I don't listen to this one much- I agree the surround is good, but the whole mash-up concept just doesn't do it for me.

Can anyone give me a list of which songs are fully complete? I'm thinking of doing a Beatles 5.1 car disc. I just checked it out on the PC and so far I have:
  • "I Am The Walrus"
  • "Revolution"
  • "Back In The USSR" (is this the final take? I'm hearing some weird stuff in the center channel I don't remember)
  • "A Day In The Life"
  • "Here Comes The Sun" (chop off intro and outro)
  • "Eleanor Rigby" (chop off outro)
  • "Something" (chop off outro)
I'm sure I'm missing a few...

"Help!" (The coolest part of the show for me!)
"I Want To Hold Your Hand" - Added screams, but no mash (or sausage):cool:

If you can just accept the fact that LOVE was an original cast recording for a Vegas show, I think you will finally realize that this 81 minute 'mishmash' was Sir George Martin's final swan song of LOVE to a group he will be forever be synonymous with.

I saw the show back in 2011 and it really is FAB! I think the new 10th Anniversary show includes "Twist & Shout" now... Had a snoop (on google maps) of the gift shop at the Mirage and it looks like the album is still on sale... I guess it's still the stellar original? Giles Martin said they improved the audio a lot as the technology had moved on. Same article mentioned earlier in the thread... Hmm maybe another trip to Vegas is in order?! :unsure:

I saw the show back in 2011 and it really is FAB! I think the new 10th Anniversary show includes "Twist & Shout" now... Had a snoop (on google maps) of the gift shop at the Mirage and it looks like the album is still on sale... I guess it's still the stellar original? Giles Martin said they improved the audio a lot as the technology had moved on. Same article mentioned earlier in the thread... Hmm maybe another trip to Vegas is in order?! :unsure:

If they do another mix / album like this please let us all know...
Really really enjoy this one and would love a newer love w additional and full songs on it.

I hadn’t voted for this one? Silly me. One of the first surround discs I bought. If not for this one, I may never have jumped into the hobby to the extent I have!

Not much I can say about it that hasn’t been said by others a thousand times before me. 10! 10! 10!

Mine just arrived Today. Wow this is a definate 10 love the whole concept makes me want Pepper and the White album
Beware - Pepper is nothing like this in the surround mix department and The White Album is fine but not in the same league as LOVE. Still, I have them all and would not want to part with any of them :)

I'm not sure I'd rate Pepper very near to the top of my favourite surround mixes. Love is in another league as a mix, IMHO, but there's so much going on there in some places so there's more to play around with.

Beware - Pepper is nothing like this in the surround mix department and The White Album is fine but not in the same league as LOVE. Still, I have them all and would not want to part with any of them :)

Why compare ...... just glad to have ALL of them in fine sounding hi res multichannel remasters. MORE pleeze!

Listening to all The Beatles surround albums today, I feel I need to revise my votes as follows:
Abbey Road: Perfect fidelity and almost universally excellent surround mixes. 10.
Love: Same as Abbey Road. 10.
White Album: Overly bright sound and about half of the surround mixes are excellent. 9.
Sgt Pepper: Overly bright sound, heavy limiting, and some underwhelming surround mixes. 8.

Listening to all The Beatles surround albums today, I feel I need to revise my votes as follows:
Abbey Road: Perfect fidelity and almost universally excellent surround mixes. 10.
Love: Same as Abbey Road. 10.
White Album: Overly bright sound and about half of the surround mixes are excellent. 9.
Sgt Pepper: Overly bright sound, heavy limiting, and some underwhelming surround mixes. 8.

Love that "Love" one of the first dvda s i found and at a hellova bargain for only $7 i believe

Review #3

Again, another late post review on a great 5.1 release.

PACKAGING
Japanese Cd+ DVDa Special Edition. Gatefold jacket with a sleeve, English glossy info booklet, and Japanese booklet with translated lyrics. The OBI card has a QR code linking to a survey (with prizes).

CONTENT
Despite being a huge Beatles fan, I didn't warm up the contents of the entire disc for some time. I loved "Within, Without You + TNK" in a big way, the 2 opening tracks and the mashup of "Drive Your Car." I think I already heard other mashups by the Beatles Remixers Group before this release so the attraction was a bit dampened. Maybe I wanted Martin to get more aggressive with the tracks. That being said, today was the first day I sat and played the whole disc back to front and my opinion changed. Gotta say there were goosebumps on several tracks. I think I need to give it another full listen.

5.1 + FIDELITY
Very immersed. Didn't try to listen for the rears...they were really balanced in the mix. Some deep "Russia On Ice" like bass here and there. The disc is very useful in demoing your system.

SCORE
9.5 with a half point off only for certain content.

Last edited:
Review #3

Again, another late post review on a great 5.1 release.

PACKAGING
Japanese Cd+ DVDa Special Edition. Gatefold jacket with a sleeve, English glossy info booklet, and Japanese booklet with translated lyrics. The OBI card has a QR code linking to a survey (with prizes).

CONTENT
Despite being a huge Beatles fan, I didn't warm up the contents of the entire disc for some time. I loved "Within, Without You + TNK" in a big way, the 2 opening tracks and the mashup of "Drive Your Car." I think I already heard other mashups by the Beatles Remixers Group before this release so the attraction was a bit dampened. Maybe I wanted Martin to get more aggressive with them. That being said, today was the first day I sat and played the whole disc back to front and my opinion changed. Gotta say there were goosebumps on several tracks. I think I need to give it another full listen.

5.1 + FIDELITY
Very immersed. Didn't try to listen for the rears...they were really balanced in the mix. Some deep "Russia On Ice" like bass here and there. The disc is very useful in demoing your system.

SCORE
9.5 with a half point off only for certain content.
Really love your style of review on poll. I might do the same way.

Back