Beatles "Love" DVD-A???

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
There are purists screaming about this. When I first heard it, I thought it sounded silly. But when you sit back and look at it, it's STILL The Beatles music. It's not a drum beat with people pretending to be The Beatles (Stars on 45). For me, getting anyone interested in this great music by way of these mashups is fine with me. And from what I hear, the show in Vegas is spectacular. IF, and it's still a big IF, this is a DVD-A, we are in for a treat!(y)

There are purists screaming about this. When I first heard it, I thought it sounded silly. But when you sit back and look at it, it's STILL The Beatles music. It's not a drum beat with people pretending to be The Beatles (Stars on 45). For me, getting anyone interested in this great music by way of these mashups is fine with me. And from what I hear, the show in Vegas is spectacular. IF, and it's still a big IF, this is a DVD-A, we are in for a treat!(y)

You mean of course on that other website which shall remain nameless. I saw that as well. Some of those people got upset I am sure when some of the mono recordings went stereo. Enjoy life! Listen to something different. I think you were the one that pointed out that the other older original recordings were not disappearing. These were just new ones. They should get a grip. What people are missing, honestly. The mind boggles.

You mean of course on that other website which shall remain nameless. I saw that as well. Some of those people got upset I am sure when some of the mono recordings went stereo. Enjoy life! Listen to something different. I think you were the one that pointed out that the other older original recordings were not disappearing. These were just new ones. They should get a grip. What people are missing, honestly. The mind boggles.

Really, it's music. The fervor that people get into is borderline fanatical. I'm a humungo Beatles nut, but I don't treat the music like it's religious scripture (don't get me started on that!;) ). I'll always have the originals to play. I got a kick out of the Revolved album, which mashes up the tunes from Revolver with other tunes. Check it out!

http://revolvedalbum.blogspot.com/

Thanks for the link, that's a whole of fun! Good example of where the idea works most of the time. Perhaps you have a copy of If 60's Were 90's by Beautiful People for Jimi Hendrix songs. That works cool.

Whereas something like Super Furry Animals were given tracks to play with and I didn't think that got off the launch pad at all. (this coming from somebody who can appreciate Zappa, Sparks, Shaggs, Eno and other non-mainstream bands)

Take me somewhere I haven't been today, but do it good.

Really, it's music. The fervor that people get into is borderline fanatical. I'm a humungo Beatles nut, but I don't treat the music like it's religious scripture (don't get me started on that!;) ). I'll always have the originals to play. I got a kick out of the Revolved album, which mashes up the tunes from Revolver with other tunes. Check it out!

http://revolvedalbum.blogspot.com/

Actually, I find that really interesting. Anyone who has got a brain that works halfways decently has to get something interesting out of that. Very creative.

I found this article:

http://www.heraldtribune.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20060625/FEATURES/606250688/1032

Here is an excerpt:

A couple of weeks ago, Giles Martin stopped in New York on his way to London, and invited me to hear his "Love" mixes on a five-channel surround system at Magno Studios. I was knocked out by some, but I was absolutely floored by the pristine quality and fine definition of the sound.

With the compression of the original 1960s productions stripped away, voices and instruments seem real, as if they were in the room. The new mixes wrap you in the group's arrangements and let you hear long-buried interplay that illuminates the Beatles' brilliance. This is a level of detail that simply hasn't been heard outside the Abbey Road studios until now.

On "Yesterday," you can hear Paul McCartney's pick hitting the strings of his guitar and the strings snapping against the neck. The guitar solo and the orchestral strings on "Something" had similar clarity and presence, and in the surround version of "I Am the Walrus," the whole kaleidoscope of textures -- including an extraordinarily crisp drum sound -- made the song quirkier than ever.

The mixes of "Revolution" and "Come Together" are incomparably more powerful than the familiar versions. Starr's childlike "Octopus' Garden" gets a fantastic restructuring that begins with the string introduction to "Good Night" and then places Starr's vocal, unaccompanied, in a foggy ambience (using effects from "Yellow Submarine" and drums from "Lovely Rita") before the full band kicks into the more familiar arrangement.

And a juxtaposition of the drum figure from "Tomorrow Never Knows" and the vocal line from "Within You, Without You" creates a link between those mystical songs, recorded nearly nine months apart.

The new recordings were made under the close watch of Apple. McCartney, Starr, Ono and Olivia Harrison occasionally dropped in on the Martins to hear the mixes.

"It was a little terrifying," said the younger Martin, who is 36, born a few months before the Beatles broke up. (His father is 80.) "When Ringo came in, the first thing he said was, 'Have you done 'Octopus' Garden' yet?'

"Paul said he liked what he heard, but that we could go even farther out than we have, and we've gone pretty far. And we were very concerned that Yoko and Olivia feel we were treating John's and George's songs well, but they were both very pleased."

Good call, Dave! The "Revolved" stuff was on heavy rotation for me this summer, and my friends and I got a good chuckle out of some of those mashups. It's been noted that these tunes don't replace the originals, so lighten up and enjoy!

Think of the possibilities of seperating the tracks of the mash-ups and reassembling true surround mixes of various Beatle songs by synching them with other alternate mixes.

Maybe this disc can do the "difference" we're all waiting for.

One of the reasons I no longer moderate over there is exactly what is happening in that thread.
I'll leave it at that. :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: .:mad:

Play.com does not ship to North America, but rest assured other e-tailers will carry it, and probably cheaper. I still have my cynical side saying it's not gonna be DVD-A....sorry, it's just my nature!:D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back