Comments inspired by Tears For Fears - THE SEEDS OF LOVE [Blu-Ray Audio]

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mcallister

500 Club - QQ All-Star
To Poll .png

Hmmm Seeds of Love is only track I’m super familiar with off this. Waiting for amazon to ship mine still, looking forward to checking it out,

Last edited by a moderator:
A 10 for sure!
The little disappointment is the title track but there were problems that SW reported so nevertheless....this is the right deal!
Demo disc!

Can you point me to Steven Wilson's comments about the title track? Thanks very much!

Can you point me to Steven Wilson's comments about the title track? Thanks very much!

https://www.soundonsound.com/people/steven-wilson-remixing-classic-albums
'At the time of writing, Wilson's 5.1 remix of Seeds Of Love by Tears For Fears is awaiting release some time in 2019, its 30th anniversary year. It has been his most complicated remixing job so far. It's also one of his favourite records of all time. "In terms of '80s production, it's the very pinnacle for me," he says. "Yes, there's a lot of digital reverb on it, and yes, there's a lot of '80s synthesizers on it, but the songwriting, the craftsmanship, the production, the engineering and the mixing are flawless." Which explains why Wilson only did a 5.1 remix: it would be pointless, he says, to try to improve on the original stereo mix.

The original recording, too, was anything but straightforward. It took Roland Orzabal, Curt Smith, and their collaborators around three years to complete. And this complexity feeds into Wilson's story, too. "They used different studios, tried different musicians, made different takes, had different engineers, and so when we came to consider the multitrack tapes, there were many problems." Some of the songs were recorded with three 24-track tape machines running in sync, essentially a master and two slaves, resulting in up to 72 tracks of recorded information.

"Not only that," Wilson adds, "but some of the tracks were recorded over a long period of time. Sometimes the takes had been cloned, and then certain things had been replaced. For example, one take had been copied, and then a different drummer had come in and overdubbed his drums over the top of somebody else's drums. So you might think you've got the right slave tape for, say, 'Year Of The Knife', and then you load it up. You hear the bass part's right, the synth part's right, the vocals are right, but, oh dear, that's a different drum take. Ah, we need to find a different slave reel with a different drum performance on it but all the other stuff the same."

Tears For Fears' Seeds Of Love album has proved to be Wilson's most complex remix project so far.

To cut a very long story short, they never found all the right parts. "So, for example, the drum mix for 'Woman In Chains', which is Phil Collins, we never found the correct drum multitrack slave — it's just a stereo bounce-down from one of the other reels. That's all I had to work with. Not ideal, but when you've asked the record company to bake another 10 or 20 tapes, and you've been back four or five times, and it's costing them an arm and a leg every time, you get to the point where they say 'Sorry, we can't bake any more tapes, you're just going to have to piece it together with what you've got.'"

And that's what Wilson did, using what he estimates as 95 percent of the material he sought, and pushing forward with the help of the original engineer, David Bascombe. "In one case, I had to take the first five seconds of 'Sowing The Seeds Of Love' from the original stereo tape, those static sounds of radio tuning that I could have had a lot of fun with in surround. I couldn't find that on any of the multitracks. We tried going to Roland's personal tape store, but it was nowhere to be found, and nobody remembered where it had come from. So I took it off the original stereo master tape, and of course then you can't do anything with that in surround, you're just stuck with stereo. But," he says with a laugh, "it's just a few seconds."'

https://www.soundonsound.com/people/steven-wilson-remixing-classic-albums
'At the time of writing, Wilson's 5.1 remix of Seeds Of Love by Tears For Fears is awaiting release some time in 2019, its 30th anniversary year. It has been his most complicated remixing job so far. It's also one of his favourite records of all time. "In terms of '80s production, it's the very pinnacle for me," he says. "Yes, there's a lot of digital reverb on it, and yes, there's a lot of '80s synthesizers on it, but the songwriting, the craftsmanship, the production, the engineering and the mixing are flawless." Which explains why Wilson only did a 5.1 remix: it would be pointless, he says, to try to improve on the original stereo mix.

The original recording, too, was anything but straightforward. It took Roland Orzabal, Curt Smith, and their collaborators around three years to complete. And this complexity feeds into Wilson's story, too. "They used different studios, tried different musicians, made different takes, had different engineers, and so when we came to consider the multitrack tapes, there were many problems." Some of the songs were recorded with three 24-track tape machines running in sync, essentially a master and two slaves, resulting in up to 72 tracks of recorded information.

"Not only that," Wilson adds, "but some of the tracks were recorded over a long period of time. Sometimes the takes had been cloned, and then certain things had been replaced. For example, one take had been copied, and then a different drummer had come in and overdubbed his drums over the top of somebody else's drums. So you might think you've got the right slave tape for, say, 'Year Of The Knife', and then you load it up. You hear the bass part's right, the synth part's right, the vocals are right, but, oh dear, that's a different drum take. Ah, we need to find a different slave reel with a different drum performance on it but all the other stuff the same."

Tears For Fears' Seeds Of Love album has proved to be Wilson's most complex remix project so far.

To cut a very long story short, they never found all the right parts. "So, for example, the drum mix for 'Woman In Chains', which is Phil Collins, we never found the correct drum multitrack slave — it's just a stereo bounce-down from one of the other reels. That's all I had to work with. Not ideal, but when you've asked the record company to bake another 10 or 20 tapes, and you've been back four or five times, and it's costing them an arm and a leg every time, you get to the point where they say 'Sorry, we can't bake any more tapes, you're just going to have to piece it together with what you've got.'"

And that's what Wilson did, using what he estimates as 95 percent of the material he sought, and pushing forward with the help of the original engineer, David Bascombe. "In one case, I had to take the first five seconds of 'Sowing The Seeds Of Love' from the original stereo tape, those static sounds of radio tuning that I could have had a lot of fun with in surround. I couldn't find that on any of the multitracks. We tried going to Roland's personal tape store, but it was nowhere to be found, and nobody remembered where it had come from. So I took it off the original stereo master tape, and of course then you can't do anything with that in surround, you're just stuck with stereo. But," he says with a laugh, "it's just a few seconds."'

Thank you VERY much!!

There's a few more comments in the booklet from the box set. Apparently some of the drum sounds also changed during the recording and they couldn't always find the "correct" track, so things will sound a bit different. I haven't listened to the 5.1 yet, but the 2nd and 3rd CDs already contain lots of gold for dedicated TFF fans like me (disc 4 probably even more so).

I hope mine turns up this week. In the mean time I played my old disc. But the Oppo only played the CDDA tracks.
SowingSeadsCDV.jpg

Back