Comments Inspired by Bachman-Turner Overdrive - BACHMAN-TURNER OVERDRIVE I & II [SACD]

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My experience with BTO albums, especially the first , was that they had tremendous punch. So your impressions worry me a bit.
will wait for more reviews before buying

Typically, I listen to a title multiple times before voting. I want to change that trend, so that those who are on the fence about this BTO can feel at ease.

My first impressions:

1. Warm, thick, incredible fidelity. Superb Quad.
  2. Every single song on both titles fit this description, except...... BLOWN on BTO II. It is an outlyer and sounds thin, less fidelity.

This is about the quickest review I can give, that should give anyone on the fence what is needed to go ahead and order. This is stupid good, it simply cranks and you will rock the house.

I'm voting a 10. KILLER!!!
That’s why we need these guys to produce more classic/hard rock classics!!

Last edited:
To Poll .png
Just finished listening to both BTO ALBUMS totally ROCKS!!! Yes BTO II is better than their 1st but it’s pretty damn good and also has my favorite song BLUE COLLAR!!! Never heard either in their entirety but very impressed....even some of the songs sound very similar to Alice Cooper original early recordings😊👍
Interesting comment. I'm a big fan of both - so much so that I own every commerical release both have put out since their first albums (and BTO spin-offs) but I'd never really considered them to sound similar. But the little factoid you might not know is that Alice co-wrote a track called 'Down to the Line' with Randy Bachman and two others. It ended up on some copies of BTO's Head On album and was included on Alice's 4CD box set years ago. Look it up - it all got a bit messy with writing credits and the fact it ended up as the riff in 'Escape' on Welcome to my Nightmare. It's a small world!

Last edited by a moderator:
I was a big fan of the bands predecessor "Brave Belt". The liner notes mentioned the single "Crazy Arms, Crazy Eyes" but "Never Comin' Home" and "Another Way Out" got just as much airplay in Winnipeg Canada at least. Chan Allan's influence was a counter balance to the rest of the group's heavier sound. I recommended both albums, if you like BTO the second Brave Belt album is very similar (but much better than BTO, IMHO). As the group devolved with the departure of Chad, I lost interest, hell even the bands new name turned me off! As is often the case they found their niche with their simplistic form of hard rock, achieving great success. The second "Brave Belt" album was re-released as Bachman-Turner-Bachman to capitalise on BTO's success. A CD was released in 2001 containing both albums, a few copies are available on Discogs.

I resisted buying any BTO albums or singles until I came across the Q8 of the first album (about 1975 or 1976). Often I bought quad albums that I wouldn't of bothered with if stereo only, well I found that the mix was fantastic. The way that these were mixed for Quad puts you in the middle of the band, all channels are equally active at all times, there is no mistaking it with stereo! Often I find that my favourite tracks aren't necessarily the hits. "Stayed Awake All Night" resonates with me! Soundwise I would of expected a bit more treble, so a slight treble boost helps. I gave all the Q8's a 10, so I can't rate this any higher. Sound is very much like the Q8's but without the tape hiss. I have to smile when I hear "Takin' Care Of Business" recalling Randy's parody of his own song titled "Takin' Care Of Christmas"!

Interesting comment. I'm a big fan of both - so much so that I own every commerical release both have put out since their first albums (and BTO spin-offs) but I'd never really considered them to sound similar. But the little factoid you might not know is that Alice co-wrote a track called 'Down to the Line' with Randy Bachman and two others. It ended up on some copies of BTO's Head On album and was included on Alice's 4CD box set years ago. Look it up - it all got a bit messy with writing credits and the fact it ended up as the riff in 'Escape' on Welcome to my Nightmare. It's a small world!
Never knew this , however it wasn't included on Alice's Life and Crimes of 4 CD Boxset ( though Escape is)

Really digging this D-V BTO two-fer, but the chorus in Stayed Awake All Night is literally unlistenable to my ear.
The chorus just seems to go on forever and the screeching nature of the vocals drills right to the core of my poor suffering brain.

Perhaps this could be a newly prescribed therapy for Late Stage Pandemic Brain...Something to wake us up from this pandemic brain haze.

Never knew this , however it wasn't included on Alice's Life and Crimes of 4 CD Boxset ( though Escape is)
You're right, that was 'I Got A Line On You' on that boxset which confused me, especially as that was written by Randy California. I could have sworn it was included as a rare B side on a 12" single around the era of the Epic years, but I can't find that either...must be getting old! I'm clearly getting mixed up with both songs over the passage of time...just checked my BTO Anthology CD and Down To The Line is on there and indeed credited to Alice.

You're right, that was 'I Got A Line On You' on that boxset which confused me, especially as that was written by Randy California. I could have sworn it was included as a rare B side on a 12" single around the era of the Epic years, but I can't find that either...must be getting old! I'm clearly getting mixed up with both songs over the passage of time...just checked my BTO Anthology CD and Down To The Line is on there and indeed credited to Alice.
I thought you might be thinking of the Randy California track! I've gotta check that BTO song out

Back