Listening to Now (In Surround) - Volume 2

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just listening to my favorite songs/ mixes from this great set... 19 songs mixed in surround!! And excellent surround mixes! I combined the beautiful "Visions of Endless Hope" (lowering the levels slightly) with "Islands of the Dead" to make a cool extended track.
Capture.JPG

Björk - Volta (2007)

Another one I haven't listened to in a while. This is a really great Björk album, filled to the brim with Björk björking it up and generally outbjörking herself. Importantly, it's also a great 5.1 mix, with Björk björking at you from all directions.

The packaging is annoying, though. I guess it's great for people who enjoy being annoyed by packaging.

It's too bad that this is the last album she put out in the 5.1 format.

OIP.Dfr3eYNZT59QYfOV0AWVuwHaHa
I had to order this, based on your recommendation! I have the Vespertine and Medulla SACDs with 5.1 mixes. Are there any other Björk DVD-audios with surround mixes? It looks to me as though Debut, Homogenic, Post, Selmasongs are only available on DualDisc. Are they any good?

I had to order this, based on your recommendation! I have the Vespertine and Medulla SACDs with 5.1 mixes. Are there any other Björk DVD-audios with surround mixes? It looks to me as though Debut, Homogenic, Post, Selmasongs are only available on DualDisc. Are they any good?

I own the DualDiscs with 5.1 mixes of the first six albums (Debut, Post, Homogenic, Selmasongs, Vespertine, Medulla--basically, the ones included in the "Surrounded" box set, though I bought them separately), and the DVD-A of "Volta." The music is great but I find the quality of the surround mixes to be wildly varying. Not impressed with the mix of "Post" (but still better than stereo! :ROFLMAO:), very satisfied with "Vespertine," the rest somewhere in between.

As for whether the sound quality is up to snuff, obviously they're not going to be as good as SACD. I don't know if there's any difference between any of the DualDiscs and the DVD-As.

Here's a summary of her ratings from the Poll Index. Homogenic is my personal favorite, for what that's worth!
View attachment 64658
I own them all and rarely listen to Drawing Restraint 9. If you know the releases and enjoy them in stereo, i can't imagine your not loving them in surround! Stay Surrounded, Comrade!
Great - thanks for such a helpful reply. I've ordered the box and look forward to listening to the DVDs I don't already own. The main complaint I 've read in the Hi-rez polls, was badly authored menus. I can live with that.

I own the DualDiscs with 5.1 mixes of the first six albums (Debut, Post, Homogenic, Selmasongs, Vespertine, Medulla--basically, the ones included in the "Surrounded" box set, though I bought them separately), and the DVD-A of "Volta." The music is great but I find the quality of the surround mixes to be wildly varying. Not impressed with the mix of "Post" (but still better than stereo! :ROFLMAO:), very satisfied with "Vespertine," the rest somewhere in between.

As for whether the sound quality is up to snuff, obviously they're not going to be as good as SACD. I don't know if there's any difference between any of the DualDiscs and the DVD-As.
I much appreciated your reply.

IIRC, the DualDiscs top out at DTS, whereas the DVD-As have Advanced Resolution Surround.

Back