• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Quadraphonic Quad and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member or just click here to donate.

Wanted: Fosgate Tate and Sansui QSD-1

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Clemens

A request from the Netherlands.
I am looking for a SQ decoder, type Fosgate Tate II 101A.
Remote control is not a must. Colour front panel is not important.

Also I am looking for a Sansui QSD-1 quadraphonic decoder.

Both were not for sale in the Netherlands.
I prefer to buy from a QQ member so I know I will buy a good functioning unit, which is not a guarantee when buying from eBay

If there is a QQ member collecting Zappa records, I have some very rare European items for sale/trade.
Thanks
Clemens

Thanks to Hajime, a very nice QQ member from Japan, I am now an owner of a Sansui QSD-1 decoder.

Who has the Fosgate Tate II 101A SQ decoder for sale, or can help me to locate and purchase this decoder?
Thank you in advance.

Have a look in the ebay watch thread, typical price for a Tate ?? $1285 - I don't think I need one that badly !
IMHO you would be better off getting Adobe Audition, the scripts here and decoding your LP's yourself

Thanks to Hajime, a very nice QQ member from Japan, I am now an owner of a Sansui QSD-1 decoder.

Who has the Fosgate Tate II 101A SQ decoder for sale, or can help me to locate and purchase this decoder?
Thank you in advance.

I got my QSD-2 from Hajime, recapped and ready to go. He is a first class guy, and I would recommend him highly. Good luck with the Tate. I doubt that you will find someone around here who will part with one. Most of us got ours on eBay. Just pay attention to sellers' feedback, and ask a lot of questions. I took a chance on one at US$51.00 on eBay, and even with recapping and some repairs by Bob Popham (one of the Tate's original designers), I still have less than US$400 into it; so they are not necessarily over $1,000 if you keep your eyes open. Mike.

Not much chance of getting a Tate from a QQ member. Most only have one. However, Fosgate is not the only Tate unit. Audionics of Oregon made some fine Tate units. So when you're searching for a Tate on Ebay, also look for the Audionics of Oregon Space and Image Composer. Also, Lafayette made some SQ decoders that I hear were mighty fine, though not as good as the Tate units. I bought my Space and Image Composer direct from Audionics back in 1979. Sorry, I won't part with it, they're much rarer than the Fosgates, though I have seen one or two on Ebay. There were only about 200 made.

The Quadfather

The seller is QQ member "quadtrade", a fine upstanding 100% genuine great person, and quad expert. Tough to find a better seller! :smokin

Jon gracious thanks for the accolades. Has anyone ever come up with a #count on Tates manufactured?? We know S&I Composers number in the 200 range. And they never show up on Ebay. Anyone have a clue???

Jon gracious thanks for the accolades. Has anyone ever come up with a #count on Tates manufactured?? We know S&I Composers number in the 200 range. And they never show up on Ebay. Anyone have a clue???

Wow! That baby has crested over two thousand bucks! :banana:

Way to go Tad! :smokin

looks like someone was testing the water now they know what it will take as a snipe to beat the guy number two. thats not a nice trick had it done to me once
Go Tad:smokin

I would block that bidder from bidding again, but with this stupid new ebay deal, we can't tell who it is! I hate that you can't see the bidders anymore.

http://offer.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewBids&item=160077091706

What's odd is that some auctions show the bidders, and others don't. Not sure why.

At any rate, I don't think people should be able to cancel a bid once they place it. They have multiple chances to bail before the final entry of the bid. It really makes the value of a bid worthless when you can jump in with a high number just to smoke out someone elses high bid, then retract.

That is why I snipe........................:smokin

I hate that you can't see the bidders anymore.

I also hate the ebay changes.
What bidder information does the seller see? Does the seller know who's actually bidding?

This is a general question about ebay's changes. Perhaps my question should be answered after the action is over. I'm not bidding on this item it should be noted.

Last edited:
I also hate the ebay changes.
What bidder information does the seller see? Does the seller know who's actually bidding?

This is a general question about ebay's changes. Perhaps my question should be answered after the action is over. I'm not bidding on this item it should be noted.

The seller always knows the ebay username of every bidder, no matter what format is shown to the bidders.
There has been alot of problems with fake second chance offers being made to losing bidders, hence the new move towards anonimity to other bidders.

I see, thanks for the info. In that case they should just get rid of "second chance offers" from sellers to buyers. If there's a legitimate item for sale the buyer should have found it already in ebay's search. Also ebay gives you links to other similar items for sale when you sign out or an item for sale has closed.

What I would like to see - if I'm missing it on ebay and it's already there - is a "second chance offer" from buyer to seller for all the items that don't sell. You could eliminate fraud (hopefully) by requiring immediate payment via paypal from only verified paypal accounts.

Last edited:
Hello members.

I have been reading posts off and on for some time and just basically taking it all in. I have never posted, but thought I would take the opportunity to at least make a showing and introduce myself.

I have a QRX-7001 currently down in the "Quad Shack" in San Diego. I met with QuadBob and enjoyed an afternoon down there about a month or so ago. What started it all was my desire to re-furbish a Sansui AU-5500 amp that has been in the family for 20 years. I like vintage gear and wanted to build a system. After email discussions with QuadBob and researching around about quad, I decided to take the plunge. I have plans to build a nice system, nothing too complicated and not trying to build it over night. Anyway, I lurk around the forum and enjoy all the information. I get lost with all the different formats, vs. 5.1, etc, but figure that will come with time after I get a system going. I will probably stay fairly quiet, with not much to add at this point.

I found another Fosgate decoder on ebay this morning and thought I would post the link...from what I understand, the Tate Tetrasound is for all practical purposes, as good a decoder as the Tate II. In either case, I used the link as an excuse to post.

You have got a great forum here and I appreciate the information. I am looking forward to getting the QRX-7001'QB' back and starting the next phase of my big quad vision, however steadily paced.

Here is the link to the Tetrasound:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=160078563785

Talk again soon....

Welcome LV-B
Yes, Bob would be a great place to get some equipment lined up. I'm in the que with Bob, with equipment, as we speak. As far as the tetrasound, it was a the first go around with this chip they used, and they died quite frequently. Thats is why they never seem to show on ebay, and they changed the name. This unit was probably sitting for years.
Poke around the board, i am sure you will find many new ideas.

Hello members.

I have been reading posts off and on for some time and just basically taking it all in. I have never posted, but thought I would take the opportunity to at least make a showing and introduce myself.

I have a QRX-7001 currently down in the "Quad Shack" in San Diego. I met with QuadBob and enjoyed an afternoon down there about a month or so ago. What started it all was my desire to re-furbish a Sansui AU-5500 amp that has been in the family for 20 years. I like vintage gear and wanted to build a system. After email discussions with QuadBob and researching around about quad, I decided to take the plunge. I have plans to build a nice system, nothing too complicated and not trying to build it over night. Anyway, I lurk around the forum and enjoy all the information. I get lost with all the different formats, vs. 5.1, etc, but figure that will come with time after I get a system going. I will probably stay fairly quiet, with not much to add at this point.

I found another Fosgate decoder on ebay this morning and thought I would post the link...from what I understand, the Tate Tetrasound is for all practical purposes, as good a decoder as the Tate II. In either case, I used the link as an excuse to post.

You have got a great forum here and I appreciate the information. I am looking forward to getting the QRX-7001'QB' back and starting the next phase of my big quad vision, however steadily paced.

Here is the link to the Tetrasound:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=160078563785

Talk again soon....

I would think that if one got either Bob Popham or Quad Bob to refurbish/restore this unit it would be fine, unless it was the "unobtainium" chips that had a tendency to die.

Back