List of stereo recordings that sound great in quad

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Neil Diamond, Tap Root Manuscript - MCA MCAD-37196

This title is already on the master list as sounding good with played through the SQ-W decoder. It also sounds pretty good played through a Dolby Pro-Logic II decoder, however; it sounds phenomenal when played through a Circle Surround (SRS) decoder.

I just finished listening to all 16 lp's in the George Harrison box set. I started with the newest first and worked my way backwards. The results through the surround master were acceptable on many but then I played Wonderwall and holy moly, it sounded like true 4 channel. Electronic music decoded well also but Wonderwall was a real eye opener. Check it out if you have it.

I've been meaning to mention this one for quite a while: Billy Idol - Cyberpunk.

His music is not everyone's style, and this album is not classic Billy Idol. The album wasn't well received on many fronts either. But has a lot sonically going on and it expanded well through a QSD-1 in synthesized surround mode. It's been a while since I've played it, but I remember the audio piece between "Wasteland" (track 2) and "Shock to the System" (track 3) really opened up and I heard pieces of recordings I hadn't heard so clearly before, and I think the closing audio piece after the last song ("Mother Dawn") also did the same.

Try Joe South's "Walk A Mile In My Shoes" in QS, all four channels come alive, it really sounds like it was intended to be so.

If you have A Step Further by Savoy Brown give the track "Where Am I" a spin in DPL or QS . It should move in a circular motion front to rear towards the end of the tune . Bongos in surround !

I used this cd version .

20170818_204843.jpg20170818_204833.jpg

If you have A Step Further by Savoy Brown give the track "Where Am I" a spin in DPL or QS . It should move in a circular motion front to rear towards the end of the tune . Bongos in surround !

Wow, thanks for the heads up, sounds amazing in PLIIM on my rig.

I've had the 1990 Deram USA CD for decades, heard the LP a lot in the early 70s.
Years beyond the release date, it was in heavy rotation at friends' pads.

The side-long, Canned-Heatish live boogie medley got more play.
Simmonds' opening over-driven chords, Chris Youlden's incantations to the crowd...

The studio side with horns & strings is impressively recorded & engineered.
In stereo it's a very wide field, hard-panned, sometimes to "even wider than the speakers" effect.

Matrix decoding dramatically steers much wonderful discreteness to the rears on all the tracks.

:51banana:

Is it common knowledge, the matrix effect on this 1969 release?
Was it original to the first pressings?
Quite advanced and cutting-edge for the time, it seems.

Delighted to hear it this way almost 50 years on.
That's +2 today on QQ discovering new surround gems in existing releases. :sun

I am using the surround synthetizer on my Sansui QRX 7001 and feeding Tidal Hi-Fi through AUX: so far anything by Spyro Gyra and Joe Satriani sounded really great! Lots of action in the back channels!!!

I came across my old cassette of Tangerine Dream ‘Optical Race’ and knew that I had to try that out in Surround mode on the Tate. Boy, that one “decodes” great in fake quad. I had an inkling that it would and I wasn’t wrong.

I have some other TD stuff and while I know that people prefer the older stuff from them and stick their noses up at Optical Race, I am the opposite and have never really liked their supposed classic stuff much. It is too meandering and Optical Race is more like Tangerine Dream meets Synth Pop.

I also listened for the first time an album that I have owned for a couple years and never got around to hearing. It is by guitarist John Willams and is called “The Height Below.” It has a couple of his future band mates from Sky and is similar in style but mellower and not as Symphonic sounding. That also decodes well in surround mode, which is surprising because the Sky II album doesn’t.....and that is my favorite record of all time.

I came across my old cassette of Tangerine Dream ‘Optical Race’ and knew that I had to try that out in Surround mode on the Tate. Boy, that one “decodes” great in fake quad. I had an inkling that it would and I wasn’t wrong.

I have some other TD stuff and while I know that people prefer the older stuff from them and stick their noses up at Optical Race, I am the opposite and have never really liked their supposed classic stuff much. It is too meandering and Optical Race is more like Tangerine Dream meets Synth Pop.

I also listened for the first time an album that I have owned for a couple years and never got around to hearing. It is by guitarist John Willams and is called “The Height Below.” It has a couple of his future band mates from Sky and is similar in style but mellower and not as Symphonic sounding. That also decodes well in surround mode, which is surprising because the Sky II album doesn’t.....and that is my favorite record of all time.

If you like that T D..... I totally recommend that you give ENCORE a try in SQ .

If you like that T D..... I totally recommend that you give ENCORE a try in SQ .

OK will check it out. I thought there was a song on Optical Race I really liked and it wasn’t there. I wracked my brain and started to think that maybe it was actually Jean-Michel Jarre, but then remembered I had another TD cassette titled ‘Le Parc’. It’s on there.....now I have to find it!

Is Encore later period TD or the early stuff?

OK will check it out. I thought there was a song on Optical Race I really liked and it wasn’t there. I wracked my brain and started to think that maybe it was actually Jean-Michel Jarre, but then remembered I had another TD cassette titled ‘Le Parc’. It’s on there.....now I have to find it!

Is Encore later period TD or the early stuff?

Early , from 1976 I think.
It's their "Live In America" album ., and it was available on Virgin .

Oh yeah, I used to have Le Parc . In fact most of the T D albums from the 80 's . And most were very good , all naturally surround like . Poland is another , and FWIW ..........."Destination Berlin" on Ariola Records , was recorded with a 360 degree film process. Something like that is in the liner notes
But I'm not certain if it was Dolby Surround (MP Matrix) compatible, or just something of their own making such as Tangerine Dream just promoting a Surround Film process.

You can Count me in for any of their 80's albums in Surround these Masters of Electronic Music .

IT'S no accident that they were in high demand ,for so many Film Soundtracks .

Last edited:
For a chuckle at our history...I had a peek through the first couple pages of posts in this thread...and being as it was in 2003 and thereabouts...you will be amazed at the number of recordings recommended back then for matrix decoding, that are NOW :

 all available in Surround .

Although SQ matrix decoding used for creating fake surround sound from non-SQ encoded content isn't generally recommended here in QQ, it was interesting to read the 1st post about SQ giving good results creating fake surround sound in some cases.

(I may risk switching on my Pioneer QX-747 - not turned on since since 1992 - and see how no logic SQ works creating fake surround sound from some of my stereo content)

Kirk Bayne

Anyone with a Surround Master decoder tried playing any of the recommended SQ decodes of stereo content to create fake surround sound with SQ variable matrix decoding?

Kirk Bayne

Anyone with a Surround Master decoder tried playing any of the recommended SQ decodes of stereo content to create fake surround sound with SQ variable matrix decoding?

Kirk
SQ variable matrix decoding on the Surround Master? What 'chu talkin' 'bout, Kirk? I found those tracks, the ones I have from that list, sounded better with the Involve 4.1 setting.

It was just interesting to read that SQ was recommended for any sort of fake surround sound creation, I was wondering if logic enhancement (or lack thereof) of SQ made any difference in the fake surround sound creation.

Kirk Bayne

There are very few Stereo albums I would recommend with TATE SQ , vis my 101a and few they are.

Most Stereo recordings I'd recommend with QS Vario matrix ,for superior surround enhancement .

Nevertheless there are those few ,that just sound good or better via SQ(TATE).
Keep in mind...that Fosgate themselves issued specific Stereo Samplers for the 101A along with select SQ Encodes.

There are very few Stereo albums I would recommend with TATE SQ , vis my 101a and few they are.

Most Stereo recordings I'd recommend with QS Vario matrix ,for superior surround enhancement .

Nevertheless there are those few ,that just sound good or better via SQ(TATE).
Keep in mind...that Fosgate themselves issued specific Stereo Samplers for the 101A along with select SQ Encodes.
I had an Audionics S⁣ playing stereo records through it in the SQ mode sounded OK, but with lots of "pumping". That's one major advantage of the Involve Surround Master; no pumping, and more separation.

It was just interesting to read that SQ was recommended for any sort of fake surround sound creation, I was wondering if logic enhancement (or lack thereof) of SQ made any difference in the fake surround sound creation.

Kirk Bayne
Columbia recommended SQ for synthesis because it was their system.

Front-back logic probably destroys any synthesized quad effect.

I have a handful of LPs with ambient sounds on them, like wind in trees and babbling brook sounds. Lots of uncorrelated pink noise on them, and both my Tate and the Sony before it made plenty of surround effect. In fact, later releases claimed to be quad recordings, without any specific decoder listed.

Back