Films (Almost Entirely Surround)

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Paramount Presents HAROLD AND MAUDE [1080p/DTS~HD MA 5.1] Completely restored from the original negative, H & M has NEVER looked better. Saw it upon its release in a small art house in Port Washington, Long Island while a college student and was always a fan of its utter quirkiness. And that Cat Stevens score ..... ooh la la!

Bud Cort lived as a house guest for many years with his dear friend Groucho Marx. In 1979 Bud survived a near fatal car crash on the Hollywood Freeway. He continued working in film and theater and co-founded the LA Classic Theatre Works with, among others, Richard Dreyfuss and Rene Auberjonois.

https://www.theaterbyte.com/bluray-uhd-reviews/harold-and-maude-50th-anniversary-blu-ray-review.html
81Rg5Rmb-7L._SL1500_.jpg
Great movie!

I took Mrs Wave to see the new Speilberg West Side Story today at the maxi big-screen atmos theater.
We really enjoyed it.

Poignant in light of Sondheim's recent demise.
As a little kid I heard many of the songs, as they were all over radio and TV by multiple artists.
Even at that age I picked up on how clever the lyrics were.

When you're a Jet,
You're a Jet all the way
From your first cigarette
To your last dyin' day

At the senior citizen discount noon matinee, the words to Gee Officer Krupke with "marijuana" & "tea" me cracked me up.
Rita Moreno coming back 60 years after playing Anita to do the part of the elderly drug store owner was genius.

The atmos was effective in spreading the soundtrack around the room.
This will make an awesome blu ray.

image.jpeg

I took Mrs Wave to see the new Speilberg West Side Story today at the maxi big-screen atmos theater.
We really enjoyed it.

Poignant in light of Sondheim's recent demise.
As a little kid I heard many of the songs, as they were all over radio and TV by multiple artists.
Even at that age I picked up on how clever the lyrics were.

When you're a Jet,
You're a Jet all the way
From your first cigarette
To your last dyin' day

At the senior citizen discount noon matinee, the words to Gee Officer Krupke with "marijuana" & "tea" me cracked me up.
Rita Moreno coming back 60 years after playing Anita to do the part of the elderly drug store owner was genius.

The atmos was effective in spreading the soundtrack around the room.
This will make an awesome blu ray.

View attachment 74285
I saw it yesterday too. 5 of us in the late morning feature. Enjoyed it as well. Effectively updated for this era. Overall I found the group dancing to be a bit more frantic and less smooth than the 1961 film. Could be the quick editing so common in dance sequences these days. Like you, I’ll buy the HD Blu-ray.

NOW streaming on Netflix in 4K [Dolby Vision], New Zealand film director Jane Campion's THE POWER OF THE DOG, with an all star cast [Benedict Cumberbatch, Kirsten Dunst, Jesse Plemons, Kodi~Smit McPhee and Elizabeth Moss]. Breathtaking cinematography highlights this uneven tale of two brothers who run a ranch in Wyoming circa 1915 and the discord which ensues when one of the brothers marries a woman from a local town.

Hero image: What Even Is ‘The Power of the Dog’?’

Inline image 4: What Even Is ‘The Power of the Dog’?

Last edited:
Available December 14th from Paramount Home Video the Limited Edition Native UHD4K Steelbook edition of

918bAGAVfHL._SL1500_.jpg

The Wolf of Wall Street - Limited Edition Steelbook [4K UHD + Digital Copy] [HDR10/Dolby Vision/DTS~HD MA 5.1]

Last edited:
Apart from having just bought a new TV the other thing that's making me want to watch a lot of film and TV content of late is sound, because, without wanting to sound like a crazy man who's hearing things - no pun intended - my 4.0 system does realism and gives you the sense of being right there like no system I've ever heard before, including cinema sound systems; I've been to the cinema twice this year and my sound system beats the cinema sound system hands down for realism and the sense of practically being right there with the action, almost as if what you hear is exactly what and how the POV camera operator would have heard (plus more once you factor in the extra sound effects the POV camera operator wouldn't have heard), and it's not even close! All of which is to say I'm now noticing and taking an interest in film and TV content due to sound design.

For example, I watched Avatar about a month ago and, due to the sound design and my sound system's ability to pull you into it, I literally felt as though it was the best film I've ever seen, and this considering I'd seen quite a few times already and knew for a fact it wasn't the best film I'd ever seen. I mean, I laughed and cried and felt fear and impending doom aplenty from start to finish along with all the other emotions that the story and sound design conveyed. Simply incredible! I just Googled sound design winners at the Academy Awards (link) and although Avatar didn't win in 2009 (losing out to The Hurt Locker), it turns out it was a nominee.

I've got 15 films on DVD or blu ray from the main list of winners/nominees and 11 on the list of shortlisted finalists. I reckon I'll make an effort to watch more from these two lists, although I'll probably focus on the more recent ones, the ones from the high definition era, so I can enjoy content with great visuals as well as great sound design. I doubt I'll end up buying many though as I prefer to curate a collection of high quality media (subjective high quality) as opposed to expanding my collection with subjective weak-ass content just for the sake of it. So if there are films on that list I know I don't like or it did very little for me, I'll probably just give those films a miss. However, one film that stands out is Heat. I've seen it a couple of times already and so I know that the action scenes have terrific sound design so I reckon I'll be buying Heat for sure.

EDIT: I forgot to say, the reason why my 4.0 setup has suddenly transformed into something that beats the cinema sound system for realism and that sense of being practically right there is because I puy my Tannoys on Mana Acoustics platform levels. The difference was like going from black and white to full-on Technicolour! Before that, my Tannoys were just really good. But on Mana? The Tannoys deliver sound in a way that's just so much better... I'm struggling to think of any other way to put it than they convey realism and the sense of being practically right there than anything I've ever heard before, and it's not even close!

Last edited:
NOW streaming on Netflix in 4K [Dolby Vision], New Zealand film director Jane Campion's THE POWER OF THE DOG, with an all star cast [Benedict Cumberbatch, Kirsten Dunst, Jesse Plemons, Kodi~Smit McPhee and Elizabeth Moss]. Breathtaking cinematography highlights this uneven tale of two brothers who run a ranch in Wyoming circa 1915 and the discord which ensues when one of the brothers marries a woman from a local town.

Hero image: What Even Is ‘The Power of the Dog’?’

Inline image 4: What Even Is ‘The Power of the Dog’?
An odd Duck of a movie, but an interesting biblical performance by Cumberbatch, and thought it was 1925 though.

I watched Batman Begins on blu ray last night and I have to say, it was much better than I previously thought it was. To state the obvious, it had a very cinematic scale and feel to it, both in terms of sound and visuals (I reckon my sound system and new OLED TV played a part in increasing my estimation of it). I've seen Batman Vs Superman and I reckon Christian Bale was a better Batman than Ben Affleck; probably the best of the lot, although in saying that it's been a long time since I've watched any of the Batman films between Adam West's tenure as Batman and the reboot starring Christain Bale.

I'll be watching The Dark Knight tonight and fingers crossed, this one delivers better than I remember as well... a quick look at the Academy Award Winner/Nominee list for Best Sound Editing (2009) shows it was the winner so it should be a cracker!

An odd Duck of a movie, but an interesting biblical performance by Cumberbatch, and thought it was 1925 though.

A "Biblical" [?] performance from a godless, unwashed, homophobic, condescending Phil Burbank ..... Cumberbatch's character in The Power of the Dog????? The Pot [Phil] calling the kettle [Peter] Black!!!!!!

It certainly WAS an odd duck of a movie, JP and I thought Kirsten Dunst's character was wildly out of sync and a bit convoluted since she cowered to the visit from the Governor and his wife and Phil's parents as if she was low bred ...... and wasn't she the wife of a doctor? A rural physician nonetheless, but could she have been that ignorant?

Always LOVE anything Cumberbatch does and he didn't disappoint. Playing an entreprenurial cowboy was certainly far fetched from his portrayal of Sherlock Holmes.

The ending was diabolical but Peter did vow to protect his mother ..... at any cost ..... but I do wonder how Peter's relationship with Phil would've panned out but I suppose the aspiring physician, the Momma's boy he was, had NO intentions of subjecting her to any more of Phil's cruelty and subversiveness.

BTW, Jane Campion's wonderful The Piano is being released by Criterion in Native UHD4K.......another odd duck of a film with some memorable performances nonetheless!

And if The Power Of The Dog did take place in 1925 ...... I stand corrected. I shouldn't watch 2 hour+ flicks at 5 A M!

Last edited:
Eric Clapton THE LADY IN THE BALCONY: Lockdown Sessions [Mercury Records/1 Native UHD4K Disc/1 1080p BD~V/DTS~HD MA 2.0/5.1/DOLBY ATMOS/24/48/Includes a 16 page Glossy booklet] Because of Covid, Eric's concert at Royal Albert Hall was canceled so Clapton and his band consisting of Chris Stanton, keyboards, Nathan East, Bass/vocals and Steve Gadd, drums decided to perform an intimate concert which was produced by Russ Titleman at the historic Cowdry House, a Victorian Country house built in 1875. What ensued is a lovely 77 minute concert expertly photographed and interspersed with vistas of the English countryside in extraordinarily pristine sonics. BTW, the 'lady' in the balcony refers to Eric's wife, Melia, who was the sole audience member in Cowdry House's Buck Hall with its vaulted ceilings, stained glass windows and minstrel's gallery. HIGHEST RECOMMENDATION

713a-TGHgpL._SL1500_.jpg

Last edited:
Just saw this announcement for the Criterion edition of Last Waltz 4K coming in March:

The Last Waltz

DIRECTOR-APPROVED SPECIAL EDITION FEATURES
  • New 4K digital restoration, supervised and approved by musician Robbie Robertson, with 5.1 surround DTS-HD Master Audio soundtrack
  • In the 4K UHD edition: One 4K UHD disc of the film presented in Dolby Vision HDR and one Blu-ray with the film and special features
  • Alternate uncompressed stereo soundtrack
  • Two audio commentaries, featuring director Martin Scorsese; Robertson; other members of the Band; members of the production crew; and performers Dr. John, Ronnie Hawkins, and Mavis Staples
  • New interview with Scorsese, conducted by critic David Fear
  • Documentary from 2002 about the making of the film
  • Outtakes
  • Interview from 1978 with Scorsese and Robertson
  • Trailer and TV spot
  • English subtitles for the deaf and hard of hearing
  • PLUS: An essay by critic Amanda Petrusich

Just saw this announcement for the Criterion edition of Last Waltz 4K coming in March:

The Last Waltz

DIRECTOR-APPROVED SPECIAL EDITION FEATURES
  • New 4K digital restoration, supervised and approved by musician Robbie Robertson, with 5.1 surround DTS-HD Master Audio soundtrack
  • In the 4K UHD edition: One 4K UHD disc of the film presented in Dolby Vision HDR and one Blu-ray with the film and special features
  • Alternate uncompressed stereo soundtrack
  • Two audio commentaries, featuring director Martin Scorsese; Robertson; other members of the Band; members of the production crew; and performers Dr. John, Ronnie Hawkins, and Mavis Staples
  • New interview with Scorsese, conducted by critic David Fear
  • Documentary from 2002 about the making of the film
  • Outtakes
  • Interview from 1978 with Scorsese and Robertson
  • Trailer and TV spot
  • English subtitles for the deaf and hard of hearing
  • PLUS: An essay by critic Amanda Petrusich

GREAT NEWS INDEED: From WIKIPEDIA:

Robertson initially wanted to record the concert on 16 mm film.[11] He recruited Martin Scorsese to direct based on his use of music in Mean Streets. Under Scorsese, the film grew into a full-scale studio production with seven 35 mm cameras.

The cameras were operated by several cinematographers, including Michael Chapman (Raging Bull), Vilmos Zsigmond (Close Encounters of the Third Kind), and László Kovács (Easy Rider, Five Easy Pieces). The stage and lighting were designed by Boris Leven, who had been the production designer on such musical films as West Side Story and The Sound of Music. With Bill Graham's assistance, the set from the San Francisco Opera's production of La traviata was rented as a backdrop for the stage. Crystal chandeliers were also hung over the stage.

John Simon, who ran the rehearsals for the show, would give Scorsese details as to who sang what and who soloed when for each song. Scorsese meticulously storyboarded the songs, setting up lighting and camera cues to fit the lyrics of the songs. But despite his planning, in the rigors of the live concert setting, with the loud rock music and the hours spent filming the show, there were unscripted film reloads and camera malfunctions. It was not possible for all songs to be covered. At one point, all the cameras, except László Kovács', were shut down for a scheduled film reload as Muddy Waters was to perform "Mannish Boy".[11] Kovács, frustrated by Scorsese's constant instructions, had removed his communications headset earlier in the evening and had not heard the orders to stop filming.[12] As Scorsese frantically tried to get other cameras up, Kovács was already rolling and able to capture the iconic song by the blues legend. "It was just luck," Scorsese recalled in the DVD documentary, The Last Waltz Revisited.
[11]

The use of HDR10+ and Dolby Vision should boost the quality of the original film elements IMMENSELY. I own The Last Waltz on multiple formats including the BD~V 1080p but IMO, this latest Criterion NATIVE UHD4K remaster should be DEFINITIVE! The Release Date is March 29th.

Last edited:
Back