Films (Almost Entirely Surround)

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Terminator 2: Judgment Day (1992) 4K (only the Theatrical Version is available on the 4K disc but that suits me as I prefer this cut to the others):
1. Despite all of the bleating about this release looking horrible, it's the best it's ever looked. Highlights are bright, probably due to HDR, wrinkles on Arnie, Linda's individual hairs visible - there's a lot more visual detail in this. I did a comparison of some scenes with the new BD and the BD definitely looks DNR'd but better than the previous BD release which was very soft. I'm guessing the 4K scan/pass/upscale - whatever they did - allowed more perceptible detail.
2. DTS-MA 5.1 sounds great. Surround mix is good along with the fidelity and some cool lows like Arnie's shotgun blasts at the mall.
3. Bottom line: Definitely worth the purchase. It's probably the best it'll look for years to come. Fun movie too. Still great.

The Remains of the Day (1993) BD:
1. DTS-MA 5.1 has some discrete surround moments mostly in the score although there is some reverb in some scenes in empty rooms.
2. Picture is superb. Tons of detail and blacks look pretty black on my LCD - I don't get all bent out of shape about "lack" of blacks like some people but thought I'd mention it.
3. Such a great flick. Performances, direction, production value - all superb. Probably my favourite Merchant Ivory flick.
4. Out of print but you still may be able to pick one up: Amazon.com

I have to agree with you. I have both the UHD4K and 3D version of T2: Judgment Day and have NO idea what all the 'hatred' for these remasters is all about. Both looked fantastic, IMO! The 3D version, in particular, looked outstanding...especially on my LG 3D OLED Curved Screen!

As for Merchant Ivory ....agree Remains of the Day is a lovely M~I film but I have to add A Room With A View, the sentimentalist I am....and will always remain!

Another early [1965] Merchant Ivory favorite is Shakespeare Wallah Shakespeare Wallah

Vertigo is such a splendid movie with scenes of San Francisco that was.
You do have to adjust to seeing the streets without needles homeless people human feces and broken car windows.

How much of an improvement is the 4K over the bluray from a picture perspective?

Vertigo is such a splendid movie with scenes of San Francisco that was.
You do have to adjust to seeing the streets without needles homeless people human feces and broken car windows.

How much of an improvement is the 4K over the bluray from a picture perspective?

The Native UHD 4K disc is a revelation ..... Like watching Vertigo for the very first time.

It would be for me....cause I've never seen it [VERTIGO] in the first place.
GOS, do you like Faith No More?

If so, then here, now you've seen Vertigo:

See the source image

MISSION ACCOMPLISHED, salsdali? LOL

It would be for me....cause I've never seen it in the first place.

GOS, Have you ever seen The Matrix (stupid question, I know)

Here, now you've seen Vertigo because you took the Red Pill and you might have surprised yourself

Reactions: GOS
They were, thanks. Hope yours are too and that you get a bunch of movie-watching done. Just splurged on a bunch (oldies and some new 4K releases) via Amazon with yesterday's voucher so will report in on surround mixes, etc once they arrive down the bottom of the planet.

They were, thanks. Hope yours are too and that you get a bunch of movie-watching done. Just splurged on a bunch (oldies and some new 4K releases) via Amazon with yesterday's voucher so will report in on surround mixes, etc once they arrive down the bottom of the planet.

I have a HUGE backlog of 4K and BD~Vs to watch. Caught BEING THE RICARDOS in 4K on AMAZON PRIME the other night and all I can say is Nicole Kidman was absolutely brilliant as Lucille Ball and Xavier Bardem as Desi Arnaz. Well worth watching!

Back