Films (Almost Entirely Surround)

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You will be hard pressed to find a better price than $17.99 USD for The Good The Bad And The Ugly 4k
https://www.walmart.com/ip/The-Good-The-Bad-and-the-Ugly-4K-Ultra-HD/409645039bad news, it is Walmart and I know some peeps hate 'em.

Those who wouldn't be caught dead shopping @ Walmart might even save A FEW DOLLARS MORE by taking advantage of this current AmazonUS deal:

https://www.amazon.com/The-Good-the...34-20&linkCode=ogi&th=1&psc=1&m=ATVPDKIKX0DER
Don't forget to check the coupon savings box!...final price $18.39

The Straight Story (1999) BD:
1. Not a bad DTS-MA 5.1 mix. Surrounds used well for insects, trucks moving from fronts to surrounds and surrounds to fronts, some parts of the score, wind, thunder.
2. Fidelity is fine. All dialogue is nice and clear.
3. Image looks nice and sharp.
4. I haven't seen this for many years but still enjoy it. It's a slow pace with great performances, one of my favourite of Angelo's scores and probably my favourite Lynch apart from Twin Peaks (the first 2 seasons/prequel movie).
5. I got this overpriced release on sale: The Straight Story (1999) | Via Vision Entertainment. Initial releases come with a cardboard slip case showing different artwork. It appears as if the title sells enough, it'll get a "standard" release without the slip case that's about $12 cheaper but you never know if that'll happen so I usually wait for a sale. Wish they'd just print the insert with the different artwork on each side. At least these guys are releasing some decent titles in NZ though. About an hour of extras on the disc too. Worth it if you can get it on sale.

The Straight Story (1999) BD:
1. Not a bad DTS-MA 5.1 mix. Surrounds used well for insects, trucks moving from fronts to surrounds and surrounds to fronts, some parts of the score, wind, thunder.
2. Fidelity is fine. All dialogue is nice and clear.
3. Image looks nice and sharp.
4. I haven't seen this for many years but still enjoy it. It's a slow pace with great performances, one of my favourite of Angelo's scores and probably my favourite Lynch apart from Twin Peaks (the first 2 seasons/prequel movie).
5. I got this overpriced release on sale: The Straight Story (1999) | Via Vision Entertainment. Initial releases come with a cardboard slip case showing different artwork. It appears as if the title sells enough, it'll get a "standard" release without the slip case that's about $12 cheaper but you never know if that'll happen so I usually wait for a sale. Wish they'd just print the insert with the different artwork on each side. At least these guys are releasing some decent titles in NZ though. About an hour of extras on the disc too. Worth it if you can get it on sale.

A very enjoyable David Lynch flick and quite a departure from his frenetic eclectic normal fare! Currently NO release date in the States.

The Straight Story (Blu-ray)

A very enjoyable David Lynch flick and quite a departure from his frenetic eclectic normal fare! Currently NO release date in the States.

The Straight Story (Blu-ray)
I saw this film in the cinema many years ago and I still can't get my brain around the idea that it's a David Lynch film. I thoroughly enjoyed it, but I can't get past the fact that the first Lynch film I saw was Eraserhead.

Gattaca (1997) 4K:
1. Some really good discrete surround moments (Atmos and DTS-MA 5.1 on the 4K), particularly in the road-crossing scene. Most of the time, the surrounds are active with ambience/room echo which I really like. Way better than a quiet scene where everything's coming from the fronts and nothing in the rears which is all too common in movies.
2. Image is good. I did a comparison with the BD and in terms of resolution, they are VERY similar. Not sure if this means the 4K is an upscale but the 4K is worth the purchase for the HDR.
3. I hadn't seen this for years and still enjoy it. Jude Law is great. Lots of decent actors in supporting roles too.
4. This is the one I got: Gattaca (2 Discs - UHD & BD) [Blu-ray] [2021]: Amazon.co.uk: Ethan Hawke, Uma Thurman, Alan Arkin, Jude Law, Loren Dean, Ernest Borgnine, Andrew Niccol, Ethan Hawke, Uma Thurman, Danny DeVito, Stacey Sher, Michael Shamberg, Columbia Pictures: DVD & Blu-ray

The Legend of the Holy Drinker (1987) BD:
1. DTS-MA 5.1 mix is OK with moments such as rain. It's not terribly active but good to see they did it for such an under-the-radar movie.
2. Image quality is excellent.
3. An enjoyable drama. Rutger Hauer is superb.
4. Arrow release here: The Legend of the Holy Drinker

Rewatching this again in 4K, what an AMAZING movie. Peter Jackson pulled out ALL STOPS in bringing this extraordinary version to the BIG SCREEN. Not only a visual feast for the eyes but for the ears as well. Very high Recommendation [and then some]

81y4dawrX8L._SL1500_.jpg

Reactions: GOS
Unbreakable (2000) 4K:
1. Head and shoulders above the previous BD release which had a VERY soft image. Detail is sharp, colours bright, blacks in some scenes are completely black on my LED backlit LCD - it looked just like the screen was off.
2. DTS-MA 5.1 is listed on the artwork but it's DTS-MA 6.1 which I think is the ES one with the extra rear centre speaker if you have one. I don't but the surround mix is decent with rain and such along with some room-creaking lows.
3. It's a fun movie. Definitely worth the upgrade if you dig it too.

Are you tired of turning on the NEWS and being bombarded with doom and gloom. Do yourselves a favor and tune into Amazon Prime's latest FEELGOOD movie expertly directed by George Clooney starring an amazing Ben Affleck, Tye Sheridan, Lily Rabe, Christopher Lloyd and introducing a precocious Daniel Ranieri...now streaming in 4K featuring a who's who of 70's and 80's Rock tunes ...... The Tender Bar is based on a memoir by J.R. Moehringer.

VERY HIGHEST RECOMMENDATION!

See the source image

Back