Films (Almost Entirely Surround)

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
NOW available from Vinegar Syndrome the Native UHD4K and restored Native 3D Presentation of Andy Warhol/Paul Morrissey's FLESH FOR FRANKENSTEIN

https://ultrahd.highdefdigest.com/100132/fleshforfrankenstein3d4kultrahdbluray.html

flesh-for-frankenstein-4k-3d.jpg

Man, makes me wish I had a 3D display!

The REAL tragedy, kid, is that they absolutely perfected the format with OLED .... gave it only a couple of years ... and then ceased manufacturing them.

And since there's NO UHD4K 3D ..... the final nail in the coffin. Ironically, 3D is still 'somewhat' thriving in Japan and Europe but NOT in the good ole U S of A!

ARROW FILMS announces their March 2022 release schedule including the original Native UHD4K debut of ROBOCOP, both Theatrical and Director's Cuts remastered from the original camera negative supervised by director Paul Verhoeven which includes a Dolby Atmos soundtrack, HDR10 plus Dolby Vision, Kenneth Branagh's Native UHD4K debut of Mary Shelley's FRANKENSTEIN with Robert DeNiro and the statewide release of AN AMERICAN WEREWOLF IN LONDON in Native UHD4K!

https://www.blu-ray.com/news/?id=29817

Last edited:
Perhaps a better [and less expensive] option is buying the set of four Native UHD4K discs for a little over $8 per disc.

BTW, VERTIGO in 4K is transcendent!

https://www.amazon.com/The-Alfred-H...34-20&linkCode=ogi&th=1&psc=1&m=ATVPDKIKX0DER

I actually did buy the 4 disc 4k collection but only Vertigo and Psycho have a surround mix (DTS:X). The other two titles are 2.0 only.

I watched both last night and I feel like the DTS:X is a really nice bonus to what are already masterpieces IMO. I mean, two Bernard Herrmann scores in DTS:X, what more could a film buff ask for. :love:

as an FYI, for anyone that's into using digital codes (included in the box set) to stream these movies using Movies Anywhere on an apple TV like I do, Movies Anywhere does support Atmos playback but does NOT support DTS:X playback so there's really no way to get the full surround experience for the above two titles unless you play the disc thru an oppo for instance, or rip to MKV and play thru Kodi for instance.

Last edited:
NOW available from Vinegar Syndrome the Native UHD4K and restored Native 3D Presentation of Andy Warhol/Paul Morrissey's FLESH FOR FRANKENSTEIN

https://ultrahd.highdefdigest.com/100132/fleshforfrankenstein3d4kultrahdbluray.html

flesh-for-frankenstein-4k-3d.jpg

The 3D is BREATHTAKINGLY ASTOUNDING FROM THE VERY FIRST FRAME TO THE LAST.....the film of course is a matter of taste. One of the best applications of Native 3D I have ever seen!

Vinegar Syndrome and the 3D Film Archive are to be congratulated on a superior transfer!

The 3D is BREATHTAKINGLY ASTOUNDING FROM THE VERY FIRST FRAME TO THE LAST.....the film of course is a matter of taste. One of the best applications of Native 3D I have ever seen!

Vinegar Syndrome and the 3D Film Archive are to be congratulated on a superior transfer!

Is that seriously around $80 for a single movie?

Is that seriously around $80 for a single movie?

I paid $52 direct from Vinegar Syndrome's website during their recent sale. Freaky movie indeed. There's a particular scene where the Baron's 2 precocious children wander into his laboratory store room and bats flutter around them and one of those 'suckers' comes within 2 feet of your face while fluttering its wings and stares you right in the eyes ..... in phenomenol resolution. The 3D image you'd almost swear was Native UHD4K...the color, contrast and inner details are likewise extraordinary.

The package also includes a Native UHD4K disc and a BD~V [1080p] disc in a very sturdy double sized slipcase.

A VERY CLASSY Presentation.

Hey, I just paid $90 [list $149] essentially for the BD~A of the Band's Cahoots album......so IMO, $52 is a bargain indeed!

Last edited:
Terminator 2: Judgment Day (1992) 4K (only the Theatrical Version is available on the 4K disc but that suits me as I prefer this cut to the others):
1. Despite all of the bleating about this release looking horrible, it's the best it's ever looked. Highlights are bright, probably due to HDR, wrinkles on Arnie, Linda's individual hairs visible - there's a lot more visual detail in this. I did a comparison of some scenes with the new BD and the BD definitely looks DNR'd but better than the previous BD release which was very soft. I'm guessing the 4K scan/pass/upscale - whatever they did - allowed more perceptible detail.
2. DTS-MA 5.1 sounds great. Surround mix is good along with the fidelity and some cool lows like Arnie's shotgun blasts at the mall.
3. Bottom line: Definitely worth the purchase. It's probably the best it'll look for years to come. Fun movie too. Still great.

The Remains of the Day (1993) BD:
1. DTS-MA 5.1 has some discrete surround moments mostly in the score although there is some reverb in some scenes in empty rooms.
2. Picture is superb. Tons of detail and blacks look pretty black on my LCD - I don't get all bent out of shape about "lack" of blacks like some people but thought I'd mention it.
3. Such a great flick. Performances, direction, production value - all superb. Probably my favourite Merchant Ivory flick.
4. Out of print but you still may be able to pick one up: Amazon.com

Back