Marillion - Album 20 - An Hour Before It's Dark

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Does anyone know if this CD/DVD version includes the 5.1 mix?
View attachment 76669
Nowhere on the outer packaging or sticker does it say there is a 5.1 mix on the DVD.
The DVD does have it
CCF_000527.jpg

I thought that Andy Bradfield & Avril Mackintosh did a great 5.1 mix with Fugazi and was by far the most discrete surround mix of the 4 Fish era albums. I would like more mixes like the Fugazi 5.1 JMHO
I think they did a great job positioning the various instruments/vocals in the surround field, but the Fugazi 5.1 mix suffers tonally for me with too much high-end and a lack of dynamic contrast between the loud/quiet passages. Hunter's AoS was not as adventurous surround-wise, but it sounded great. It doesn't matter how 'discrete' the mix is if you get ear fatigue from cranking it.

Thanks. Mine is a slightly different version. It doesn’t have the wording on the back identifying the surround mix, so I was a bit worried about opening it up if I had to return it. I checked the disc and, yes, there is a surround mix on the disc. Crisis averted! LOL
D82B31DF-883B-40B7-840F-531736A42787.jpeg

I think they did a great job positioning the various instruments/vocals in the surround field, but the Fugazi 5.1 mix suffers tonally for me with too much high-end and a lack of dynamic contrast between the loud/quiet passages. Hunter's AoS was not as adventurous surround-wise, but it sounded great. It doesn't matter how 'discrete' the mix is if you get ear fatigue from cranking it.
I also thought Hunter’s AoS was pretty good also with plenty of discrete parts in the mix. I didn’t notice too much high end in Fugazi but maybe my old ears have lost some high end hearing. I thought Fugazi though was quite an improvement from Clutching at Straws.

By the way, this is the "mini deluxe box", a format earmusic have done a couple of times now. They just put the regular CD or CD/DVD into a bigger box with a piece of exclusive merch (in this case, a beanie and guitar picks, whereas the Status Quo and Saga box sets had t-shirts). Pretty cool, but in this case I felt I didn't especially need to get the beanie, so I just settled for the CD/DVD edition for half the price.

By the way, this is the "mini deluxe box", a format earmusic have done a couple of times now. They just put the regular CD or CD/DVD into a bigger box with a piece of exclusive merch (in this case, a beanie and guitar picks, whereas the Status Quo and Saga box sets had t-shirts). Pretty cool, but in this case I felt I didn't especially need to get the beanie, so I just settled for the CD/DVD edition for half the price.

I believe the DVD is only DD 5.1 whereas the $18 BD~A/V is DTS~HD MA 5.1 96/24 and to my ears sounds splendid .... just not a lot of surround activity.

I got the blu ray disc from Amazon this afternoon. I did order from the band's website the cd/dvd combo. It was sent a couple of days ago but I do not think I will get that until next week.

There's a 12" mix? In 5.1? Oh boy, that's a rarity. I love an extended remix. Is that also on the BD? If not, I've got decide between hi-res on the BD or extra 5.1 content on the DVD. Or buying both, which I am unlikely to do. (I tried looking on the Marillion site but it's all a bit vague.)

EDIT: Just seen in the now listening thread that the BD does include the remix in 5.1.

Heard only on stereo through TIDAL, totally agree that it is an album in the vein of FEAR. In my opinion it lacks epic moments as if it had the previous one (The Gold, Living In Fear, FEAR or Russia's Locked Doors).

Looking forward to hearing it in surround to give my assessment

I bought the CD/DVD as it helped the band with costs, they made it the one that was signed and you got your name in the booklet......and of course it was the surround version. So now it's here it's hi res in the fact that it is 16/48 but the Bluray has 24/96 versions.
It's almost like they are trying to get us to buy multiple formats of the album.

Or should I Be Hard On Myself?

There's a 12" mix? In 5.1? Oh boy, that's a rarity. I love an extended remix. Is that also on the BD? If not, I've got decide between hi-res on the BD or extra 5.1 content on the DVD. Or buying both, which I am unlikely to do. (I tried looking on the Marillion site but it's all a bit vague.)

EDIT: Just seen in the now listening thread that the BD does include the remix in 5.1.
The Blu-ray has a significant amount of 5.1 content. The 12" remix as you mentioned, the video for Murder Machines, and , not listed on the back cover, the Instrumentals. I haven't checked out the making of documentary yet, but from everything else I've seen on this disc, it's probably in 5.1 too.

Taking my first Blu Ray 5.1 DTS-HD MSTR listen now. You know on QQ when people say why don't they put that, whatever that is, on the Blu Ray, the Blu Ray can handle all that, this Marillion release packs about as much stuff I have seen on a Blu Ray.
This has videos, documentaries, stereo, surround, all kinds of stuff, see pictures.

There is what I thought was a USB stick, but it is something different, I do not know what type of drive it is called?

The book is perfect for me, lots of pictures and not too many words.
IMG_1979.jpg
IMG_1980.jpg

Back