Marantz SR7012 receiver has turned itself off twice already(Mac/hdmi/Marantz/Denon troubleshooting-a play in 3 acts)

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Too much. I passed on one for 900 bucks just 20 miles from my home.

Right now I've been spending my money on rebuilding my vintage receivers and building DIY Class A FET pre and amps. I'm almost done... so I consider the Atmos, and what not, foo foo. I would spend 750 bucks for an XMC-1 with HDMI 2.0. Cash, or paypal within an hour, but I have no patience with greedy people.

Can you even get the HDMI 2.0 boards from Emotiva anymore?

That's my issue with the video market... they change things way too fast and everything gets obsoleted before you get it.

My current set up got very streamlined and very much centered around wired GigE ethernet.

77 LG OLED (use it's HDMI output to the UMC1).
UMC1 ( analog and PCM inputs from laptop, HDMI from TV)
Laptop, Win 7 Pro, 64 bit, gobs of RAM. Over network to LAN to PLEX servers, media file systems; Netflix, etc... ASUS Xonar U7.
Direct TV ( HDMI to TV, networked to Direct TV remotes )... soon to go away.
Tablo Quad HMDI ( HDMI to TV, streams over LAN)
Roku ( HDMI to TV... each TV in the house has one).
NuForce MCA20 8 channel
PSB 7.0 Stratus Audio System. The Gold-i's reach low enough that I don't need/want a subwoofer.

Once I get rid of the Direct TV, the wiring will get even simpler.

If I want to watch with the audio on, I can turn on the Emotiva and tune it to it's TV input and decode whatever is playing through the TV. It's really easy, specially as the TV has become pretty much the center of the source selection.

Or if I want to listen to music or watch movies in DVD format (using the file system, ISO files and VLC)... oh I can use the laptop... for music, it's foobar. But, if I want to listen to music, well, heck, I got a much better system two rooms down that fills the house better.

Simplicity and reliability. The UMC right now is the Achilles heel.

Last edited:
I think they have been listed as "temporarily out of stock" for months now. But at least they haven't been discontinued.

Which is why the flippers are being greedy.

In my setup, with the TV being the main video switch, I'm not quite sure I need the video upgrades to the pre-pro, but if that's the case, then the UMC1 is good enough for my needs for the time being.

As it is, the darn Roku tried to do lots of handshakes to the TV over the HDMI cable. For some reason, the video kept blanking out periodically, live one second every minute or so, I traced it to the HDMI cable... a good quality Belken that I was using to connect the computer to the back of the TV.... So I dug a brand new "8K" HDMI cable and it works fine now.

You know, in my main audio system, I run MIT and Kimber Kables that I bought used eons ago (OK, the 8TCs are of the latest variety) and they still work fine. Heck, the speaker cables in the HT are Monster (in wall) and Audioquest (front speakers). I don't have to worry about those cables.

It really pisses me off that even the frickin' HDMI cables are designed to become obsolete.

Last edited:
Which is why the flippers are being greedy.

When/if available that HDMI board from Emo costs $399.

A rock bottom price on an XMC-1 with the old board has to be $500 or so. In fact, that's what I think Emo was giving as a trade in allowance on them toward something newer.

Even going that route takes you to $900, which is the price you already turned down from a local seller.

I was talking to someone online who owned a UMC-200 that died. When he inquired at Emotiva they declined to service it because it was so old. They referred him to some 3rd party service shop. They also offered him $200 in credit to buy any other Emo processor. In order to do that he had to supply them with video proof that he destroyed the UMC-200. He had to either smash it with a sledge or drop it out of a 2nd floor window? WTF????

ALL (not most) of the ATMOS preamps/processors that have MCH analog inputs only go up to 7.1 , not 7.1.4!!!! Even the REALLY expensive ones, so ...why would I need analog inputs anyway? I know that I would for the outputs of the MOTU 828es I have cause it does not output MCH through HDMI cause IT DON'T HAVE HDMI OUT!!!

ALL (not most) of the ATMOS preamps/processors that have MCH analog inputs only go up to 7.1 , not 7.1.4!!!! Even the REALLY expensive ones, so ...why would I need analog inputs anyway? I know that I would for the outputs of the MOTU 828es I have cause it does not output MCH through HDMI cause IT DON'T HAVE HDMI OUT!!!

You need the analog inputs when you are using higher quality DACs... or if, in the future, some other encoding format appears and you still want to keep the pre-pro that you had...

An example would be with SACD... which can be in surround.

When/if available that HDMI board from Emo costs $399.

A rock bottom price on an XMC-1 with the old board has to be $500 or so. In fact, that's what I think Emo was giving as a trade in allowance on them toward something newer.

Even going that route takes you to $900, which is the price you already turned down from a local seller.

I was talking to someone online who owned a UMC-200 that died. When he inquired at Emotiva they declined to service it because it was so old. They referred him to some 3rd party service shop. They also offered him $200 in credit to buy any other Emo processor. In order to do that he had to supply them with video proof that he destroyed the UMC-200. He had to either smash it with a sledge or drop it out of a 2nd floor window? WTF????

Actually, he turned down the 900... he wanted 1100. The XMC1s with the old board are running in the md 600s.

At that price range, I might as well get four DIY B1 kits (the FET versions, not the KORG) and build them into a single chassis.

So back to Kap's issue...

I now have, and have always had a full analog pathway. Mostly because of the fully functional TT I never use anymore. But also a pure analog 5.1 pathway, mostly because of the Oppo disk player for its DACs. If there are no analog sources like those in your plans you are making a good case for dispensing with analog in.

I think the Parasound P7 has a built in phono preamp ( Is it MC too? ).

So the HT could be fully digital and the P7, inserted between the processor and the amp would provide the analog inputs.

It makes for a pretty good dual use configuration if you want to use your system for both music and movies.

BTW: speaking of lyrics... Crisis What Crisis is what I quoted....

Well, I use my MOTU 828es for analog inputs and I have a pretty nice phono preamp…
Now my big dilemma is, what amps should I get to power my 5 Polk speakers after the ATMOS preamp/processor since most amps are Stereo?

Well, I use my MOTU 828es for analog inputs and I have a pretty nice phono preamp…
Now my big dilemma is, what amps should I get to power my 5 Polk speakers after the ATMOS preamp/processor since most amps are Stereo?
You have a lot of choices here. My favorite mid grade units are the Monolith's and the Emotivas. But there are lots. You can even go used. How much power do you think you want?

Do you already have amps for the Atmos speakers, or aren't you using those?

You have a lot of choices here. My favorite mid grade units are the Monolith's and the Emotivas. But there are lots. You can even go used. How much power do you think you want?

Do you already have amps for the Atmos speakers, or aren't you using those?
Thank you, I was checking the Emotiva 5 channel amp...
As for the ATMOS height speakers...IT'S A SECRET!!!! ...will fill you guys in later in another thread, hopefully!

Thank you, I was checking the Emotiva 5 channel amp...
As for the ATMOS height speakers...IT'S A SECRET!!!! ...will fill you guys in later in another thread, hopefully!
Which Emo Amp line Kap? The BasX or the XPA?

I use a BasX500 for Atmos channels. At ASR Amir considered it to be kind of meh, but did consider it an upgrade over the typical AVR amplifier. That is probably a good assessment. It is definitely nicely priced. In my experience, it has never had a glitch and never sounded bad, but its performance as an Atmos amp makes it hard to judge. One thing for sure, those BasX amps come in great variety. They come in 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, and 7 channel versions. I think they all use the same linear power supply, so with each additional channel the power output drops a bit. The odd/interesting one is the A6. Maybe best used to bi-amp the LCR channels in a HT setup.

Emotiva BasX A-500 5-ch Amplifier Review

I only know of the XPA series by reputation. ASR tested the latest generation version of the bridged stereo model and didn't like it. I have read that those who have the earlier models without the switching power supply are very happy with them.

Emotiva XPA-DR2 Review (Stereo Power Amplifier)

Disclaimer: I am not a believer in esoteric cables or snake oil tweaks. I also have never heard a significant difference in power amps that were specked similarly. Of course there are differences regarding power delivery, especially when it comes to low impedance loads. YMMV

I also have never heard a significant difference in power amps that were specked similarly. Of course there are differences regarding power delivery, especially when it comes to low impedance loads. YMMV

I don't know the sensitivity of your Polks @kap'n krunch. But yes to LMQ's statement. In general, one should make sure that amps have enough dB headroom and the capability to handle low impedance loads if necessary. I've generally found that with speakers of the 86 to 87dB sensitivity variety, the bigger amps sound more 'open' because they just loaf along.

I've thought about getting 11 monoblock tube amps for my Atmos rig. Do tubes really sound better than solid state? I don't know. But my basement gets so cold in the winter that I can use the heat coming off of the tube amps to keep from shivering. Maybe I can distribute them around the MLP. :sneaky:

I don't know the sensitivity of your Polks @kap'n krunch. But yes to LMQ's statement. In general, one should make sure that amps have enough dB headroom and the capability to handle low impedance loads if necessary. I've generally found that with speakers of the 86 to 87dB sensitivity variety, the bigger amps sound more 'open' because they just loaf along.

I've thought about getting 11 monoblock tube amps for my Atmos rig. Do tubes really sound better than solid state? I don't know. But my basement gets so cold in the winter that I can use the heat coming off of the tube amps to keep from shivering. Maybe I can distribute them around the MLP. :sneaky:

I used to own a nice pair of Balanced Audio Technology [BAT] tubed amps. Initially they sounded fine and yes they do heat up the man cave but over time the tubes start to fail and audibly degrade the sound and tube replacement IS a costly affair....and if you're considering 11 'tubed' Monoblocks .... good luck with that. And there's also the question of which tubes to buy ... Russian tubes are considered the best. And there's always the inevitablity that new tubes can be defective [been there ... done that] brand new out of the box and you have to swap them for replacements. IMO, a MAJOR hassle!

Do TUBES sound better than solid state? Of course it depends on the pre/pro and choice of amp itself and I haven't had that much experience to offer a definitive answer. And then of course there's the pre/pro ..... tubed or solid state?

Back