Marantz SR7012 receiver has turned itself off twice already(Mac/hdmi/Marantz/Denon troubleshooting-a play in 3 acts)

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kap'n krunch

2K Club - QQ Super Nova
there is a kinda loud low frequency hum/boom and it turns itself off and the the red light starts blinking...
Fortunately I can turn it on after that but it's starting to worry me...I have it plugged into a UPS which I thought would protect against this kind of stuff...

My Marantz is the heart of my system so, WHEN it fails (hopefully in a long time) I am going to be SOL...

Have you tried unplugging it, leaving it off for a few minutes (or even a couple of hours) then plugging it back in and rebooting?

Might be a power supply board issue.
We actually left home for 5 days last week and I unplugged it for the whole period, it happened once before that and them once after it....
BUT I will try it again...

I sure hope that you can find out the issue with your AVR. I just looked at pricing on the latest models at Denon and Marantz and they sure have skyrocketed. At the very least, you could get your unit repaired or buy used. Maybe, your warranty is still good, have an extended one with a dealer or extended one with the credit card you used.

there is a kinda loud low frequency hum/boom and it turns itself off and the the red light starts blinking...
Fortunately I can turn it on after that but it's starting to worry me...I have it plugged into a UPS which I thought would protect against this kind of stuff...

My Marantz is the heart of my system so, WHEN it fails (hopefully in a long time) I am going to be SOL...
Dang, I hope you figure out what the problem is. Just FYI I have a SR7013 and haven't experienced anything like what you've described. I have fans MULTIFAN S7, Quiet USB Cooling Fan, Dual 120mm on top that keep it cool so if it's getting too hot, these may help. I Googled your fault which has a video and a possible solution at the end of the thread (not related to overheating):

Let us know what you find.

I also have a Marantz 7012 and it does a similar thing, very sporadically, about three or four times per year. Probably not a heat issue, as it sometimes happens soon after it's been powered up, and mine sits on an open shelf. I use banana plugs so less likely to be a stray speaker wire, although I will take a look. Mine powers itself back up right away...very strange.

Kap'n,

Read this thread-

https://www.eevblog.com/forum/repair/marantz-sr7012-sporadic-dc-protection-fault/
If it's not hot, it's possibly the dc protection circuit kicking in because the preamp signal is clipping, so it's trying to protect the speakers. It can't know how high the volume is set, but it knows the preamp voltage is too hot, so it shuts it down to make sure the speakers aren't damaged.

Is the source you are having issues with connected via HDMI?

The explanation given in the thread is a fault in the hdmi board. It does not say whether it's a fault in the specific input or across the board itself (which would impact all inputs)

With that being the case, you could possibly test for this: remove all inputs, connect only one source, swap inputs to another to see if the behavior moves, replace cables, etc to see if it's isolated to a specific input.

The first question would be does it always happen on one specific receiver input or all inputs?

If it only happens when listening to one specific input, first isolate the source by removing the other inputs. Then swap the cable using a known good cable and switch your source to another input in the receiver, first to one that doesn't exhibit the behavior. If the behavior moves inputs, swap with another source to see if the behavior happens with a different source on both inputs. Make sure the receiver and sources are off when you swap cables and move inputs.

If the problem goes away when moving inputs, the fault is happening on only one input- good news- just don't use it.

If it's happening on only one source, and moves with that source, then there's more troubleshooting ahead. Do the same test with another source. If it's isolated to the first source, the problem may be likely upstream. PM me if this ends up being the case- I have some ideas to try next.

If it's happening on multiple inputs, multiple sources- bad news- it's probably the board and will need to be sent in for service.

I had an Onkyo many years ago that had a single HDMI input go bad- no video, only audio. It drove me insane until I isolated everything and realized where the fault was.

Bad input.

So I taped over the bad input and used another one.

Kap'n,

Read this thread-

https://www.eevblog.com/forum/repair/marantz-sr7012-sporadic-dc-protection-fault/
If it's not hot, it's possibly the dc protection circuit kicking in because the preamp signal is clipping, so it's trying to protect the speakers. It can't know how high the volume is set, but it knows the preamp voltage is too hot, so it shuts it down to make sure the speakers aren't damaged.

The explanation given in the thread is a fault in the hdmi board. It does not say whether it's a fault in the specific input or across the board itself (which would impact all inputs)

With that being the case, you could possibly test for this: remove all inputs, connect only one source, swap inputs to another to see if the behavior moves, replace cables, etc to see if it's isolated to a specific input.

The first question would be does it always happen on one specific receiver input or all inputs?

If it only happens when listening to one specific input, first isolate the source by removing the other inputs. Then swap the cable using a known good cable and switch your source to another input in the receiver, first to one that doesn't exhibit the behavior. If the behavior moves inputs, swap with another source to see if the behavior happens with a different source on both inputs. Make sure the receiver and sources are off when you swap cables and move inputs.

If the problem goes away when moving inputs, the fault is happening on only one input- good news- just don't use it.

If it's happening on only one source, and moves with that source, then there's more troubleshooting ahead. Do the same test with another source. If it's isolated to the first source, the problem may be likely upstream. PM me if this ends up being the case- I have some ideas to try next.

If it's happening on multiple inputs, multiple sources- bad news- it's probably the board and will need to be sent in for service.

I had an Onkyo many years ago that had a single HDMI input go bad- no video, only audio. It drove me insane until I isolated everything and realized where the fault was.

Bad input.

Oooooo, thank you very much!

Kap'n,

Read this thread-

Bad input.

Yes, it's the same input (the one from the Mac) and , yes, it is HDMI... so I will have to find another input...
Thanks again

I have an AV 7005 preamp processor that was turning itself off spontaneously.

I opened it up and removed and replaced the ribbon cable (replace meaning put back , not bought a new one) that runs between the standby switching power supply which powers watching for the remote control and other auto turn on/off functions and the main power supply board. After I did this I could not get it to misbehave again , so I conclude that I had a bad connection on one of those two boards which went away by the mechanical removal and replacement of the ribbon cable.

I am pretty sure your unit would have a similar type of set up.

HDMI has CEC (Consumer Electronics Control) & DDC (Display Data Channel) links. The CEC can turn equipment on/off, and can act on a chain of equipment. If there has been a Mac software update it could be doing something it wasn't before (a bug, or getting an odd response back) .

Even when my TV was plugged in but off (so effectively in standby) I'd get the Audio cutting out every so often as it turned out a handshake on/off check was done periodically between the TV & AVR. So I moved the output HDMI to one without CEC, and then no more audio blanking.

HDMI has CEC (Consumer Electronics Control) & DDC (Display Data Channel) links. The CEC can turn equipment on/off, and can act on a chain of equipment. If there has been a Mac software update it could be doing something it wasn't before (a bug, or getting an odd response back) .

Even when my TV was plugged in but off (so effectively in standby) I'd get the Audio cutting out every so often as it turned out a handshake on/off check was done periodically between the TV & AVR. So I moved the output HDMI to one without CEC, and then no more audio blanking.
Good to know! If I turn my TV off while playing audio, the audio cuts out completely so I tend to just use the Picture Off function which turns the screen blank while the TV is still on.

HDMI?

Just going to throw this out there then.

HDMI cables have circuitry in the plugs that can be used for copy protection schemes. The system fail safes to shutting off. Inexpensive HDMI cables can be just a hair out of spec and give you intermittent behavior. Insidious stuff like working perfectly with one device and being fully DOA with the next. Or in between and cutting out here and there.

All of this is the reason I do not want digital equipment (other than a disc player/recorder).

Back