Marantz SR7012 receiver has turned itself off twice already(Mac/hdmi/Marantz/Denon troubleshooting-a play in 3 acts)

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Cool- glad that testing worked out, and you are back in business.

Ok, before you upgrade... consider doing the upgrade on an external drive as a test. To boot off an external (if you have a mini 2018- T2) you will need to boot into recovery mode and do the steps provided here:

https://appleinsider.com/articles/19/01/15/how-to-make-new-t2-secured-macs-boot-from-external-drives
This way, you can test BEFORE committing to an update.

If it's pre T2, you should be fine with booting externally.

If it's a newer m1 min 2020... it may not be worth the effort:

https://eclecticlight.co/2021/05/12/booting-an-m1-mac-external-disks-and-local-boot-policy/
https://eclecticlight.co/2020/12/22/booting-an-m1-mac-from-an-external-disk-it-is-possible/
https://www.macworld.com/article/331916/how-to-start-up-your-m1-mac-from-an-external-drive.html
as it will require buying a thunderbolt 3 drive.

Thank you so much for the heads up..
I was wondering if updating the OS might turn out to be a disaster.
Fortunately, I have a 2018 six core i7 Mac Mini BUT I will look into the info you posted.
Screen Shot 2022-02-27 at 12.36.59 PM.png

Hopefully this will also help any other members!
(y)(y)(y):hi:hi:hi

EDIT. mine IS a T2!!! Oh well...

Last edited:
Thank you so much for the heads up..
I was wondering if updating the OS might turn out to be a disaster.
Fortunately, I have a 2018 six core i7 Mac Mini BUT I will look into the info you posted.
View attachment 76485

Hopefully this will also help any other members!
(y)(y)(y):hi:hi:hi

EDIT. mine IS a T2!!! Oh well...
T2 isn't a bad thing- It just means having to adjust the security setting in the OS from the recovery partition. The instructions are there and it's really easy.

Doing your tests first will allow you to prove everything works before committing.

Or you can dive in the deep end see what happens ;)

(I often resemble this remark, and approve this approach if caution must be damned, lol)

The T2 crash that can happen with OS updates is different from the "brick bug". The T2 crash can be fixed using a 2nd T2 equipped Mac and one of the Apple developer tools that can be downloaded from them. It's kind of scary with your Mac not powering on and needing a whole 2nd T2 having machine but it's recoverable. Search Rossmann T2 crash.

The "brick bug" is more serious and can affect every model of Mac old and new. The OS versions confirmed to be prone to the brick bug are Catalina 10.15.7 thru Big Sur 11.5. The last OS XI Big Sur update allegedly fixes it. There are also claims that ANY version of 10.15 Catalina has the brick bug. The only way to fix this if it happens is to reprogram the firmware chip on the logic board. It happens randomely. One day you restart to a black screen and that's all the machine ever does now. Bricked! If you are running any version of Catalina or Big Sur I'd recommend to at least go back to 10.13.6 if you don't want to go into OS XII Monterey yet. (Because hardly any 3rd party anything is supporting it yet.)

My Mac Has the black screen of death is there a fix?
We started off fixing a Marantz, got deep into hdmi, and now advanced Mac troubleshooting.

It's like the geek squad, IEEE and the Genius Bar went into bar, found the BrundleFly machine and were all genetically merged into a single thread.

We might need a troubleshooting area, and even so, we'd probably be in trouble for being off topic.

The moderators are going to be very very angry with all our attention deficit disorder in here.

Can someone rename the thread to hdmi troubleshooting, Marantz (and Denon?) troubleshooting and Mac troubleshooting (a play in 3 acts)? Then we can't be blamed for anything that happens here. Then add Denon just because they are so close in behavior and troubleshooting.

I'm totally kidding!!! we are off the rails here.

All kidding side-

Roundhouse, can you open each of those q's in new threads called "Troubleshooting, Tips and Tricks for Mac" and "Troubleshooting, Tips, and Tricks for Denon / Marantz"

Happy to help if I can. The Mac issue is usually pretty straightforward and I'm happy to get you on a path to fix that in another thread.

My Mac Has the black screen of death is there a fix? get I'm ok chime when turn on but no picture.
The brick bug results in sleep light on when powered up and nothing else. No chime, no bootscreen commands, no screen, no nothing. Turns on it's light.

The T2 crash bug results in the computer not powering on. Just sits there.

So it's not either of those!

It could be display backlight, display itself, display cable, or fault on the logic board. Some of the 1st post-Jobs machines (2013 and newer) went cheap on logic board builds and the display going black is one of the failures. It's a chip on the logic board. Don't buy another one, it will just do the same. They had a run of bad display cables on a couple models in this period as well. I stopped doing the after marker repairs I was doing at this point. No post-Jobs Macs! No exceptions! They're soldering in hard drives now to make the new machines disposable.

If your machine is in the 2009-2012 range, it could likely be fixed reasonably. If you have one of the fast quad i7 machines that does some heavy lifting it might well be worth it to fix.

...The moderators are going to be very very angry with all our attention deficit disorder in here.
Can someone rename the thread to hdmi troubleshooting, Marantz (and Denon?) troubleshooting and Mac troubleshooting (a play in 3 acts)? ....
DONE!
Hope you don't mind me stealing your title...

Not at all. I was kidding though, LOL. This thread has seriously gone all over the place- But since we now have some air cover in the title, let's see if we can fix some Mac upgrade issues and the 7011...
As an owner of a Marantz SR7013 and a Mac with the evil 10.15 Catalina, having all of this in one thread is actually very convenient for me.

I‘ve had the SR7013 since mid-summer 2021 and have not experienced any problems. Ditto with the Mac, which is a couple of years old and running 10.15.5. I have not upgraded the browser based on @jimfisheye ’s warnings. I might upgrade to Monterrey after I’m done working on my income taxes.

The brick bug results in sleep light on when powered up and nothing else. No chime, no bootscreen commands, no screen, no nothing. Turns on it's light.

The T2 crash bug results in the computer not powering on. Just sits there.

So it's not either of those!

It could be display backlight, display itself, display cable, or fault on the logic board. Some of the 1st post-Jobs machines (2013 and newer) went cheap on logic board builds and the display going black is one of the failures. It's a chip on the logic board. Don't buy another one, it will just do the same. They had a run of bad display cables on a couple models in this period as well. I stopped doing the after marker repairs I was doing at this point. No post-Jobs Macs! No exceptions! They're soldering in hard drives now to make the new machines disposable.

If your machine is in the 2009-2012 range, it could likely be fixed reasonably. If you have one of the fast quad i7 machines that does some heavy lifting it might well be worth it to fix.

JimFisheye AND Roundhouse,

First, what kind of Mac? Get the model number, and we can take this further.

If a preboot install fails, I have seen edge cases where it will chime if it didn't fail mid process, but is instead requesting going into update preboot and there is an issue with accessing the installer. It's stuck at the step before the install- typically this happens when someone clones the drive, and the preboot partition (EFI or M1)is out of sync with the OS.

I agree test the backlight theory first- if the backlight is gone, plug in a monitor and see if you see a login screen. See a login screen on the monitor? It's likely the backlight or the cable.

THEN back it up and send it in for repair, sell it for parts, or trade it in for a smoking fast M1. Your call.

If not, then you can try to see if it's a preboot install error, which is recoverable but may take some work depending on the cause.

Can you boot into the recovery partition?
Can you boot into internet recovery?
Do you see a screen?

Last edited:
An aside but...
I wonder we're going to be getting into having to futz with the EFI partition and that kind of tinkering with the new open core bootloader now? Probably only for screwing around and messing with 'gamer' graphics cards on the Mac Pro and that kind of thing.

I waited a bit on Monterey just to make sure reports didn't start coming out of catastrophic failure like the brick bug scenario with Catalina and Big Sur. And here we are! I'd consider this OS "experimental" at present though. 3rd parties aren't even close to onboard yet.

Smoking fast M1? Compared to a Mac Air but not to the heavy lifting i7 machines.

I am on the fence regarding updating the OS...don't have the $$$ for an extra HD right now but I want to update Logic to this Atmos capable version...

An aside but...
I wonder we're going to be getting into having to futz with the EFI partition and that kind of tinkering with the new open core bootloader now? Probably only for screwing around and messing with 'gamer' graphics cards on the Mac Pro and that kind of thing.

I waited a bit on Monterey just to make sure reports didn't start coming out of catastrophic failure like the brick bug scenario with Catalina and Big Sur. And here we are! I'd consider this OS "experimental" at present though. 3rd parties aren't even close to onboard yet.

Smoking fast M1? Compared to a Mac Air but not to the heavy lifting i7 machines.

I know a lot of orgs that skipped Big Sur and went straight to Monterey. A good portion of the security tools have moved from kernel extensions to system extensions by now, which was the real holdup in moving to Big Sur.

I'm running projects from git all the time and my compile times are between 2/3 to 1/2 the time it takes to run on my beefy iMac i7. I'm actually considering going to a M1max MacBook Pro after a little testing. For my uses, the new chips live up to the hype.

I am on the fence regarding updating the OS...don't have the $$$ for an extra HD right now but I want to update Logic to this Atmos capable version...
I won't steer you either way, but I'm running Monterey with zero issues, on three Macs. I am a single data point, so you have to do your own calculus. What I need to do works as expected and it's a very stable release.

I won't steer you either way, but I'm running Monterey with zero issues, on three Macs. I am a single data point, so you have to do your own calculus. What I need to do works as expected and it's a very stable release.

So let's say I upgrade to Monterey right now. Will that new OS version still run apps that are on my machine right now, such as H&R Block tax software (which says will run on 10.13 or higher)? And then there are DVD AudioExtractor, Audacity, Mp3tag and MakeMKV? Or is it a crap shoot as to what will happen? To try to answer my own questions:

MakeMKV (Looks like "yes"):
https://forum.makemkv.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=26680
DVD AudioExtractor (purchased version): Updated Feb 2022 and says "dropped support to OS 10.14 and earlier versions, but nothing about running on Monterey:
https://www.dvdae.com/
Mp3tag (purchased version): (Looks like "yes" as of Nov 2021):
https://mp3tag.app/changelog/
Audacity (Looks like some growing pains on Monterey):
https://forum.audacityteam.org/viewtopic.php?t=122588
H&R Block Tax Software (SCREWED):
https://discussions.apple.com/thread/253608781

Back