Dutton Vocalion September 2022 Surround Sound SACDs (3)

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
@steelydave was there any info on the tape boxes about who did the Friends Of Distinction and Kristofferson quad mixes?

It required some detective work on my part (which I'll get into at a later date) to decipher the initials on the Friends of Distinction boxes, but Grazin' was done by Jack Adelman in August 1970, and the other three were done by Sam Stellato (Highly Distinct in October 1970, and Real Friends and Whatever in November 1970).

I also discovered (in retrospect) that Sam Stellato's 'S.S.' signature was on the tape box for the Guess Who's Canned Wheat (along with another signature I wasn't able to decipher) so it's possible that these two guys were like the Larry Keyes and Don Young of RCA, during the early PQ8 era when the stereo mixers weren't doing quad mixes at the same time. It appears that when RCA moved to the unified numbering system (APD1/APT1) they also moved to a unified stereo/quad mixing system where the same guy that did the stereo mix also did the quad mix, like Grover Helsley with the two Hues Corp albums, and Rick Ruggieri with B.W. Stevenson and all the Hugo Montenegro albums.

As for Kris Kristofferson, the quad mixes of The Silver Tongued Devil & I and Border Lord were done by Fred Foster (supervisor) and Neil Wilburn (engineer). Wilburn is probably best known for doing the quad mix of Bob Dylan's Nashville Skyline. Jesus Was a Capricorn was supervised by Fred Foster, Al Lawrence and Dennis Linde and engineered by Mike Figlio - all three of these albums were remixed at CBS Studios in Nashville. Spooky Lady's Sideshow was remixed in quad by John Haeny (who also did the stereo mix) at Sunset Sound in Hollywood.

Mike Dutton said these Kristofferson mixes opened up particularly well in quad compared to the stereo versions, and I also noticed that the quad master for Spooky Lady's Sideshow was recorded at 30ips which usually means (and Mike confirmed) a very good sounding master. The only other 30ips quad master I recall seeing is Garfunkel's Angel Clare, which has always been known as a great-sounding album.

Also, did Dave work on any liner notes in this batch?

I didn't, but @humprof wrote a fantastic set of notes for the Azteca set that I had the pleasure of proofreading and editing - I don't think anyone will be disappointed with the amount of great information he unearthed on a really underappreciated group.

I listened to Azteca and it frankly sounded dated in a bad way. Probably will skip, especially given the price. Will grab the other new ones when there's a new classical batch.

I listened to Azteca and it frankly sounded dated in a bad way. Probably will skip, especially given the price. Will grab the other new ones when there's a new classical batch.
a shame, you'll be missing out on one of the all-time most actively discrete and downright fun CBS Quad mixes which for me elevates the material (which i agree is 50-year old Pop/Rock very much of its time) and makes it hugely more engaging and immersive in Surround Sound ✌️"peace everybody!" as the song goes! 😄

Isn't one of the Azteca Quad titles available on Apple or Tidal, :unsure: so does this mean being on there isn't a 'blocker' for Quad releases from DV?

Isn't one of the Azteca Quad titles available on Apple or Tidal, :unsure: so does this mean being on there isn't a 'blocker' for Quad releases from DV?
yes, the Quad of the first album is in Dolby Audio on Apple Music and 360 Reality Audio on Tidal (etc.)

not only dows it augur well for other Quads that have appeared in 360 Reality Audio/Dolby Audio already but i'm expecting the DV SACD to handily wipe the floor with the streaming rendition 😋

lets see if/when Postie drops a corrugated cardboard package franked from sunny Hertfordshire through me flap (Post Office is on strike at the minute like everybody else i think!?)

yes, the Quad of the first album is in Dolby Audio on Apple Music and 360 Reality Audio on Tidal (etc.)

not only dows it augur well for other Quads that have appeared in 360 Reality Audio/Dolby Audio already but i'm expecting the DV SACD to handily wipe the floor with the streaming rendition 😋

lets see if/when Postie drops a corrugated cardboard package franked from sunny Hertfordshire through me flap (Post Office is on strike at the minute like everybody else i think!?)
Are you paying your power bill, Mr. Blue?

I got post this morning, but not my DV order yet, carrier pigeon is probably a bit tired a long way from Watford.

When as a kid we visited my grandparent's (they lived by Cassiobury Park), we'd often go on the model steam train that I have just discovered is still there! Watford Miniature Railway

I got post this morning, but not my DV order yet, carrier pigeon is probably a bit tired a long way from Watford.

When as a kid we visited my grandparent's (they lived by Cassiobury Park), we'd often go on the model steam train that I have just discovered is still there! Watford Miniature Railway
Dunc, is that the same train which transports the Wizard of Watford's trusty elves to and from work?

R.88ee5f41c31ecda209f6b83d50d67642

ME AND WEE BOBBY McGEE

Last edited:
a shame, you'll be missing out on one of the all-time most actively discrete and downright fun CBS Quad mixes which for me elevates the material (which i agree is 50-year old Pop/Rock very much of its time) and makes it hugely more engaging and immersive in Surround Sound ✌️"peace everybody!" as the song goes! 😄
As a compromise then I'll stream it. I like owning these but have to draw a line somewhere. If it was just the first album I'd be more inclined to get it, but really hard to justify GBP 24.

Incidentally, I imagine this is part of why Sony is so open to working with D-V - they get a digital quad transfer they can put up for streaming in Atmos and D-V just gets the UK SACD rights for a period.

Back