Dutton Vocalion September 2022 Surround Sound SACDs (3)

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
you know, the "trouble" with this batch of releases is.. there's just too much Quad..!! 😂😂

ok, The Friends Of Distinction are not The Beatles but it does feel deliciously ironic we'll merrily pay £150 quid for a boxset of "Revolver" upmixes yet when presented with a set of 4 genuine Quad albums for £23.99 that's somehow a cause for consternation.. 🤔

anyway, back to my morning Scotch and Cornflakes ☕😋🥃🤤
1. It is great value for money and I am going to buy it, but I do kind of wish there were only two albums. My life seems to be endless decisions about what NOT to buy/ listen/ watch/ read, so it's a bit overwhelming.

2. Revolver UPMIXES?! I applaud your bravery in daring to diss the mighty Fabs. It made me smile but obviously you need to be permanently banned as a blasphemer. ;)

1. It is great value for money and I am going to buy it, but I do kind of wish there were only two albums. My life seems to be endless decisions about what NOT to buy/ listen/ watch/ read, so it's a bit overwhelming.

2. Revolver UPMIXES?! I applaud your bravery in daring to diss the mighty Fabs. It made me smile but obviously you need to be permanently banned as a blasphemer. ;)
re: Les Beatles, i was really just being un agent provocateur! 😋😂 we all know Revolver's gonna be Amazing!! 💘

oh i wish there were only two albums, too. i also wish they were two albums (with Quads included!) by the Isley Brothers instead but that's a different matter altogether! 😂

however, i will say that perhaps something that hasn't been ruminated upon yet and that is that these multiple album sets are possibly the only way DV can make some of this stuff viable to licence now?

i mean, lets take it that their bread and butter audience is likely the CD/Stereo crowd rather than us QQ folk, so with the Kristoffer Kristofferson and Friends of Dorothy multiple sets they can appeal to a wider audience who will be enticed to pick up a set that is effectively 4 albums for the price of 2 but still DV can deliver us the Quad despite the increased overhead due to extra mastering costs etc because they are able to shift more units to the CD/Stereo crowd..?

just a thought.. 🤔💡🧐

I’ll admit I have been very concerned about, not a “Quad block” per se, but an overall market indifference once the same titles are previously out on streaming. Even though I see the D-V SACDs as superior in sound quality, I’m sure not everyone thinks that or cares. But as long as MJD sees the value in it for physical releases, that’s what counts.

Seems like an awesome special value, we get the wonderful D-V discs and Freddie makes us laugh with his ‘contes due jour’!

Skip the cornflakes, and just stick with the Scotch, who needs all that extra fiber that early in the day anyway.

oh yeah! 🎉

wait a minute Mister Postman! 🤤💘

4CD3E50E-1FB6-46BC-A59C-4DFB09079575.jpeg

85A42065-D72A-4D16-A54D-2BD140FC3981.jpeg

700B36E0-BAF3-4148-8133-5B5EC808A877.jpeg

I just want to know ... how far behind is the BABS STREISAND box set, Michael J?

See the source image

BARBRA STREISAND [see also MOVIE SOUNDTRACKS] -
Barbra Joan Streisand. Columbia PCQ-30792 (SQ), CAQ-30792 (Q8),
CBS/Sony SOPN-19 (SQ) [Japan]
Butterfly. Columbia PCQ-33005 (SQ), CAQ-33005 (DQ8)
Lazy Afternoon. Columbia PCQ-33815 (SQ), CAQ-33815 (DQ8)
Live at the Forum. Columbia PCQ-31760 (SQ), CAQ-31760 (Q8)
Stoney End. Columbia PCQ-30378 (SQ), CAQ-30378 (Q8), CBS/Sony
SOPN-133 (SQ) [Japan], SOPN-44008 (SQ) [Japan]
The Way We Were. Columbia PCQ-32801 (SQ), CAQ-32801 (DQ8)
Given the mega stardom of Babs, I highly doubt Sony would ever license these to anyone like DV. Of course, they could do these themselves, but my gut tells me that BS likely has a huge say in what and how her material get released. I love her, but not sure she actually cares about box sets and the multichannel world. :cry:

Given the mega stardom of Babs, I highly doubt Sony would ever license these to anyone like DV. Of course, they could do these themselves, but my gut tells me that BS likely has a huge say in what and how her material get released. I love her, but not sure she actually cares about box sets and the multichannel world. :cry:
i think you're spot on, the absence of Babs' Quads in 360 Reality Audio from Tidal etc., is palpable 😭

@fredblue , can you please report in on the mix of the Friends of Distinction album which includes Grazin In The Grass? I ask because the mix of that song on the AF SACD The Collection is lousy. The whole sound stage is shifted to one side and generally is a very out of balance mix. I would hope that would have been corrected by DV. Thanks.

well i can't see too many here being disappointed in the sound quality of the Quad of the first "Azteca" album, to me it sounds absolutely stunning.

i've long enjoyed (2 copies of) the Columbia SQ Quadraphonic LP and the old Q8 Quadraphonic 8-track tape and more recently been streaming the Quad a fair bit since it appeared on Apple Music in Dolby Audio and none of those other renditions come close to the new SACD.

sound quality on the Quad (i'll try the Stereo over the weekend) is just otherworldly. 🤐 (uncharacteristically 😂 ) i have no words!!

@fredblue , can you please report in on the mix of the Friends of Distinction album which includes Grazin In The Grass? I ask because the mix of that song on the AF SACD The Collection is lousy. The whole sound stage is shifted to one side and generally is a very out of balance mix. I would hope that would have been corrected by DV. Thanks.
i shall get onto it next 🧐👍🤞

much better balanced and beautiful dynamic mastering 💘

after that track on the AF compilation i wasn't expecting these to sound as good as they do 😅

discrete-o-Surround-nutters will be happy, the mixes have stuff going on in every corner of the room the whole time! you won't be left wondering if your Rear speakers are on that's for sure! 🥳

40484A64-0EC2-48D3-94EE-4400D936B41B.jpeg

Well, that Kris Kristofferson double SACD is a wonderful surprise! It's absolutely superb. The sound is sublime. The material is excellent. The quadraphonic mixes are great.
I noticed his name back in the 1970s but I didn't take much notice. This is the first time that I've heard him. Nashville, some very familiar names in the musicians. One is impressed.
VERY highly recommended.

She owns the rights to all her masters, both the physical tapes and the rights, which is why her albums have never been licensed out. She may not even be aware she has quad master tapes in her vault, or that there's anything unique or interesting about them.

https://www.bbc.com/news/entertainment-arts-58056164
"A smart businesswoman, who has made millions trading stocks, she also owns the master tapes to all her recordings - something The Beatles, Prince and Taylor Swift never managed to negotiate.

They're stored in a specially-curated vault, where the floor-to-ceiling shelves are crammed full of tape boxes, movie canisters and reels of television specials."

Back