Braun CD4 demod

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Braun made a CD-4 demodulator? That is a kick !

Braun electronics were excellent. I loved their speakers as well. My main quadraphonic/6.1 surround system uses all Canton speakers, very similar to the ADS/Braun designs. Every time I get the urge to upgrade, I just listen for a few minutes and I remember how good these German speakers sound. If I was in the EU, I might think about that demod. Just because they make razors ... remember that Yamaha makes motorcycles and pianos.

The Braun CD-4 demodulator was actually a JVC 4DD-5 just like the Marantz CD400. All Braun did was wrap a new case around the JVC board. See here

Malcolm

Attachments

• Braun_Inner.jpg
    Braun_Inner.jpg
    80.9 KB · Views: 91
Can't say i'm suprised... that board looked familiar.

Yep, I can verify that. Pulled the case off my 4DD5 and held it up next to the monitor. The Braun is not German, it's Japanese! It's a 4DD5 rewrap. The Braun case appears to be all metal, so it should be shielded better. It's a decent demodulator.

The Quadfather

This might require a 240 V AC supply.
It says right in the listing "Rare Braun CD 4 DeModulator. Made in Germany. 120/220volts."

Cool/Interesting that the labeling is all in German. Foreign built equipment seems to always be labeled in English which must piss off speakers of other languages!

It says right in the listing "Rare Braun CD 4 DeModulator. Made in Germany. 120/220volts."

Cool/Interesting that the labeling is all in German. Foreign built equipment seems to always be labeled in English which must piss off speakers of other languages!
Sorry, but Braun is a relativ small but old (good) german Companie, usually not exporting to US.
There is not so much to translate except: Eingang = In, Ausgang = Out, vorn = Front, hinten = Rear, and the rest is well known by everyone who is involved with that.
(As for me, I have more problems to translate every government formular into spanish, 'cause here is nearly nobody speaking english, a big difference to germany ..)
220V is old, now it's 230V. Best you take a look inside for the real used Voltage and use a cheap external supply. But it was already running in US...

(think how many chinese are there ...);)

Odd. I searched the entire listing and didn't find that.

I searched again. That text is in a store listing.

120/220 volts makes no sense. The high voltage must be exactly twice the low voltage.

Here it's 120 V and 240 V.

Last edited:
Cost was the main reason Europe went with 220 volts (now 230). Counterintuitively, higher voltages allow the use of thinner wire, meaning less copper in the early days of power lines. Power companies could save money on wire by using 220 volts rather than 110. Berlin is one example.Jan 13, 2020

Sorry, but Braun is a relativ small but old (good) german Companie, usually not exporting to US.
Actually, Braun is a wholly owned subsidiary of Procter & Gamble (a US company) since 2005... Back in the seventies, a friend of mine had one of their record players. It looked well cool!

Last edited:
Back