Listening to Now (In Surround) - Volume 2

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
image.jpg

Saturday afternoon listening since football is off

Well, this is kind of fun: cellist Jakob Spahn with members of the Orchestra Academy of Bayerische Staatsorchester (a very accomplished youth orchestra), playing works by Friedrich Gulda--better known as a pianist than a composer, I think--and Tchaikovsky. The Gulda "Concerto for Cello and Wind Orchestra" is all over the place, stylistically--the opening movement tries for a jazz-funk style that comes off a little bit hokey, but don't let that put you off--while the Tchaikovsky "Rococo Variations" (originally written for cello and orchestra, arranged for cello and wind quintet) is a virtuoso showpiece.

This Blu-Ray audio disc from 2018 has a dry, close-mic'd Atmos mix that--except for the final piece on the program, a movement from a Tchaikovsky string quartet--favors the fronts while still managing to sound spacious and immersive. It's the centerpiece of a "Charming Cello" package (4 CDs+ 1 BDA) put together last year by JPC.de and still available there for the stupidly low price of €10 (even lower for non-EU residents once VAT is removed).
https://www.jpc.de/jpcng/classic/detail/-/art/charming-cello/hnum/11093055
So nothing in rears or overheads?

TAAB Was my very first album when it came out and I still have it. Love this album. I also have this release.

This reminds me this picture of mine at the end of 70's when I was young, in my room, with my first girl-friend... Now, after divorcing another woman, I went back to her and she is my current wife. :)

I posted already this picture, but I will do it again :)

1674325066687.png

I didn't think the Surround Master handled CD-4. To latch on to the 30kHz carrier wave, it would need to have an internal sample rate of at least 88.2kHz (using common sample rates).
@chucky3042 has written about it on the "Stuff that sounds amazing with the Sound Master" THREAD. I'm not really sure what goes on, but it may also be what @barfle wrote to which Charlie is responding. I guess what i can say is the CD-4 discs i have played through the SM v.2 are sounding good! The how and why are beyond my realm of comprehension!

Last edited:
BAD HAGGIS with Rubén Blades [AIX Records/MLP DVD~A 5.1/96kHz/24bit] Outstanding discrete Celtic/jazz/world fusion tinged recording from Mark Waldrep, Ph.D. featuring the Los Angeles Scots Pipe Band. Includes Session/rehearsal videos on the DVD~V side of the dualdisc.

Bad Haggis with special guest Rubén Blades – Span – iTrax
Thanks for the reminder Ralph, Bad Haggis seemed familiar, then I remembered I got it as a download! and as hadn't been able to add it to the to listen to mountain as its virtual .................. I forgot I had it! :oops:

The Allman Brothers Band LIVE AT FILLMORE EAST [Polydor Records/DTS Entertainment/DTS 5.1] If you're seeking the ultra discrete version of the Allman's most iconic album, look no further. Credits in the liner notes: Executive Producer: Brad S. Miller; Multitrack original analogue recording and mix to music surround: Engineer: Geoff Emerick and Alan O'Duffy; Producer: Paul McCartney; Multi Channel Master, EQ, Balance and Preparation: Peter Mew @ Abbey Road Studios.

R.d608cad4047bd412d3dcc72e68787c67

Back