Ten Years After "A Space In Time" (limited-run SDE Blu-Ray with Dolby Atmos, 5.1, and Quad shipping 3/17)

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The question begs...why only a thousand copies? They have to know a classic album like this is going to sell. Yes? No?
So back to Cricklewood Green, it's "50,000 miles beneath my brain" so to speak.
I would think they could have done a 20,000 run, dropped the price, and sold them all at profit. But what do I know.

The question begs...why only a thousand copies? They have to know a classic album like this is going to sell. Yes? No?
I would think they could have done a 20,000 run, dropped the price, and sold them all at profit. But what do I know.
Probably a contractural agreement between SDE and the releasing company Chrysalis.

As with some of SDE's BD~A past ATMOS releases, based on demand, hopefully more will be allocated.

To make it special? I am happy regardles. Thanks to everyone.

In the UK if you make 1000 or less of a release, there is a flat fee to the Performing Rights Society. Above 1000 you actually have to work out who owns all the copyrights and figure out appropriate payments and legal deals. I have no idea whether this is relevant but since SDE seem to be UK based it might be.

In the UK if you make 1000 or less of a release, there is a flat fee to the Performing Rights Society. Above 1000 you actually have to work out who owns all the copyrights and figure out appropriate payments and legal deals. I have no idea whether this is relevant but since SDE seem to be UK based it might be.
Sounds relevant to me. (y)

It really does seem odd to only launch 1000 copies of such an iconic album as this one.
Yeah they might have gone 1,500 or 2,000 units and been safe. Many of these labels seem to be playing it too safe and being fearful of previous reissues having a negative impact on the sales potential. So rather than press too few they simply decline to issue the recording again period.

But I have a feeling the multitrack tapes for Rock and Roll Music to The World are very likely all in perfect order like the ASIT tapes seem to be. We could get a 5.1 / Atmos mix of that album eventually. Maybe not.

I would think they could have done a 20,000 run, dropped the price, and sold them all at profit. But what do I know.i
In my teen years, and in my circle of friends, this album got significant play time. I was also surprised at the number of posts from those who were unfamiliar with TYA. So I wonder..... Other stuff in my teenage era LP pile you might not recognize might have been from the likes of bands like Traffic, Steppenwolf and Uriah Heep. Are those bands familiar?

Maybe SDE was unfamiliar too.

I would love me some surround Heep...😁

Last edited:
It's a shame that only 1000 were made/offered. You know there are and will be real fans who find out about this far too late. This type of release is too perfect to be only pressed in limited quantities, but if that's what it takes to get these things out there, then that's the deal. Sadly, these things will be on eBay soon selling for big bucks

It's a shame that only 1000 were made/offered. You know there are and will be real fans who find out about this far too late. This type of release is too perfect to be only pressed in limited quantities, but if that's what it takes to get these things out there, then that's the deal. Sadly, these things will be on eBay soon selling for big bucks
But at least it does show there is intense interest in Quality BD~A ATMOS/5.1/QUAD reissues of classic albums and almost assuredly, more will be pressed, as has occurred with other 'LIMITED EDITION" SDE ATMOS BD~A releases.

Perhaps the majors will take note and instead of just streaming, release more BD~A ATMOS/5.1 releases on physical disc!

In my teen years, and in my circle of friends, this album got significant play time. I was also surprised at the number of posts from those who were unfamiliar with TYA. So I wonder..... Other stuff in my teenage era LP pile you might not recognize might have been from the likes of bands like Traffic, Steppenwolf and Uriah Heep. Are those bands familiar?
For me, yes... familiar with the bands you mentioned. But a key thing you said is “circle of friends”.

With no public internet back then, one was often heavily influenced by either parents or friends. As I touched on in another thread, my parents are divorced and dad didn’t care for rock in the house. Mom listened to soft pop stuff. So a band like TYA was never going to be something I heard from my parents.

And by the time I was really aware of what friends were listening to (delayed in part because of moving around a lot because of the divorce), TYA's initial phase was done and my friends were into harder music which was never going to be allowed in dad’s house.

When I was into the guitar magazines in the early 80s like Guitar For The Practicing Musician (R.I.P.), Guitar World or Guitar Player, it was the shred guys for me and I had more freedom/bravery/rebelliousness to bring some verboten music into the house. In cassette form, of course, and hidden from dad. And that’s what my friends were listening to. (Mom was more tolerant of different music, but I wasn’t living as much with her.)

Tons of great music and guitarists out there but not always possible to catch everything at the time it came out due to circumstances in life. While I’ve spent many years now making up for lost time with genres or artists I originally missed, it has accelerated in the last decade with a surround system and all the great anniversary, deluxe or simple surround releases. TYA is just the latest to the list.

Last edited:
Back