Ten Years After "A Space In Time" (limited-run SDE Blu-Ray with Dolby Atmos, 5.1, and Quad shipping 3/17)

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I read about this release and ordered right away. I feel a little guilty in that I'm depriving someone else of a copy, I could have made do with the dts copy (with tracks corrected via software).

The point that copyright headaches are avoided by such a small run make sense BUT. This is an example of why "piracy" can become an issue. People will now be forced to "steal" this release via an "illegal" download as there will be no other way to get it!

Also how can they make any money with such a small release?

You have nothing to feel guilty about as far as I can tell. You bought your copy to enjoy. I could have made do with the official DVD quad mix, reversed as it is, my QPS dts conversion even though sourced from someone's tape or 8 track, or my SQ LP. But we're not to be blamed for wanting what will be the highest quality, go-to version of this album with all formats covered.

Even if an enthusiast buys 2 copies, like I wanted to, whether for a gift, to have a backup or some such, even to sell 1 to a fan who missed out, I think that's cool. But I assume as a huge quad fan, you didn't buy it to deliberately flip for a high profit as some auction sellers do. That's what gripes.

As far a illegal downloads, personally all I've ever done is learn to rip a disc that wouldn't play in 4 ch with the Trinnov Altitude, but plays when ripped to a file in Roon. I can only speak for myself but I've never used Napster in its orig form, never went to a torrent site or obtained bootlegged discs.

I honestly feel badly for you chaps that missed out on this, it's just not right. Selling out in about one day, I believe is a message about the growing popularity of these SDE releases; and not just the popularity of this title.
Really? If this is not the first title to sell out instantly then I might tend to agree. But since this particular title all went in a day, I think it's about the particular title TYA - A Space in Time.

I missed out on the older DTS DVD and never wanted to pay flipper prices for it, and I was not that upset about swapped channels on it, I just wanted that good sounding disc. Now I am being rewarded - I deserve a copy of this disc!

$46 shipped to the US is not a cheap release either. It's just that people want what they just can't have too easily. I'll bet demand shot up the moment it was announced that it was SOLD OUT!

I bought two copies but the 2nd was for a fellow QQ member. The sole purpose was to maximize shipping costs, one shipment at £11 rather than two separate at £8 each.
Neither will be sold for a profit.

Similar to what I wanted to do but didn't in time. Only ordered 1 copy for me.

I wonder just how many copies went to QQ members. I am sure there are many that ordered it but didn't see a reason to comment.

Taking a guess, ~40% more or less. Any older quaddie who owned or listened to the quad LP would be a likely candidate and that's got to be a lot of us. It was one of the more adventurous quad mixes.

Really? If this is not the first title to sell out instantly then I might tend to agree. But since this particular title all went in a day, I think it's about the particular title TYA - A Space in Time.
Several of the prior titles sold out in a similar timeframe, including Tears For Fears' The Tipping Point (initial run of 2000, then a repress of 2500) and xPropaganda's The Heart Is Strange (single run of 1500). I think this one disappeared quicker than the last few (Gilbert O'Sullivan, Shakespear's Sister, Eno), but it's not an outlier.

Probably already in the minds of QQers, but this is what Paul said in the comments for this release:

“My advice to people is just to keep an eye out near to release date because we always get some cancellations and there’s a bit of contingency built in, so some will almost certainly become available.”

Also in response to someone telling Paul that flippers are already at work on eBay...

“We’ll take a look at this and cancel their pre-order if we can identify…”

Interesting. I wouldn’t think you could cancel a pre-order because of that... as satisfying as it might be.

Its too bad Paul cant set up a preorder notice just for QQ limited to one copy so folks here could get a copy. I think with all the promotion for surround that goes on here we deserve maybe a one day advance notice before the public.

Probably already in the minds of QQers, but this is what Paul said in the comments for this release:

“My advice to people is just to keep an eye out near to release date because we always get some cancellations and there’s a bit of contingency built in, so some will almost certainly become available.”

Also in response to someone telling Paul that flippers are already at work on eBay...

“We’ll take a look at this and cancel their pre-order if we can identify…”

Interesting. I wouldn’t think you could cancel a pre-order because of that... as satisfying as it might be.
Unless the person uses their name as a username on ebay it’s almost impossible to catch the scalpers. The only way to beat scalpers is to not buy what they are selling!

Assuming the positive reaction to this one had anything to do with the inclusion of the quad mix (based on the comments over at their site, it seems that way), I wonder if they'll be spurred to seek out more quad stuff? There are a number of other albums from '73 or late '72 with extant quad mixes that seem ripe for the 50th anniversary Atmos treatment:
  • Carly Simon - No Secrets (Frank Filipetti already mixed this in Atmos, but they could also include his 2001 5.1 mix and the '73 quad)
  • War - The World Is A Ghetto (already streaming in Atmos)
  • Billy Joel - Piano Man
  • Steve Miller Band - The Joker
  • Herbie Hancock - Headhunters

Assuming the positive reaction to this one had anything to do with the inclusion of the quad mix (based on the comments over at their site, it seems that way), I wonder if they'll be spurred to seek out more quad stuff? There are a number of other albums from '73 or late '72 with extant quad mixes that seem ripe for the 50th anniversary Atmos treatment:
  • Carly Simon - No Secrets (Frank Filipetti already mixed this in Atmos, but they could also include his 2001 5.1 mix and the '73 quad)
  • War - The World Is A Ghetto (already streaming in Atmos)
  • Billy Joel - Piano Man
  • Steve Miller Band - The Joker
  • Herbie Hancock - Headhunters
great point, and yes to all of those for sure!

I also like what Paul said in response to a comment about streaming stuff (vague yes, but sounding great to me)-

Comment: "and they were both new releases not a re-release. Saying that, there is some streaming 80’s dolby atmos mixes that haven’t made it to disc yet that SDE will hopefully bring."

Paul Sinclair
3 DAYS AGO

"Some exciting plans for this year."

Quad of this is already available on multi channel SACD from CD Japan, and damned fine it is too having listened to mine less than a week ago. Admittedly the SACD is a limited run so having another run and in a different format would be no bad thing.
Owen, did the Japan release correct the channel error?

Back