Ten Years After "A Space In Time" (limited-run SDE Blu-Ray with Dolby Atmos, 5.1, and Quad shipping 3/17)

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I always loved the way the acoustic guitars were recorded on 'A Space In Time'; they really stand out cleanly in the mix.

anyone have details on how this album was engineered/recorded?
Totally agree, Pup - the acoustic guitars sound great on this album. I listened to what Amazon Music calls a ‘stereo quad mix’ of the album via Air Pod Pros on my walk this morning and it left me salivating for this SDE release’s arrival!

I always loved the way the acoustic guitars were recorded on 'A Space In Time'; they really stand out cleanly in the mix.

You won't find all the answers you're looking for, but I think this interview is still a worthy read.

https://www.goldminemag.com/interviews/ten-years-after-more-than-50-years-later
Ric Lee:

Clive Davis signed us to Columbia after we had been on London Records at the time. Clive sits us down in his office and says, “I’m going to give you boys a gold record for the first time. But to do that we need a single.” So we do our sixth album, A Space in Time, in 1971, with that song and he turned it into a hit single making the album go gold just like he said. How about that?

I put the drums on that track after they already laid the tune down. I was ill. While I was away, they decided to lay down “I’d Love to Change the World.” Alvin strummed it on his acoustic. Dubbed his electric in later. We were in the same London studio where the Stones recorded. Studio #1 was huge because they did film soundtracks and needed to get whole orchestras in there. We were in Studio #2. I loved the sound there because of its natural ambiance. So it was just Chick, Alvin and Leo. Now, you have to realize, there were no click tracks in those days. Nowadays, they want everything to a click track so you only have to play one bar and then they use Pro Tools to cut and paste. Metallica does that. Lars Ulrich is a fine drummer, but all he ever plays on the records is one bar and it’s lifted for the duration of whatever track they’re doing. It’s just easier that way. We’ve done it ourselves on occasion.

Anyway, I show up and they tell me to play drums on this track they’ve already finished. I said, “Sure, I’ll have a go.” So I’m listening to the song’s fluctuation of tempo. I thought it quite nice, actually. But to put drums on something like that afterwards? I couldn’t figure out what the time signature was as it’s different on that song from the verse to the chorus. But all it took me was three takes! The drum kit was set up by the control room window, which was four steps down. I’ll never forget the sight of Alvin on the other side of that window egging me on and giving me the thumbs up. I can see him now. He had the biggest smile on his face. And I could barely hear him through the window yelling, “Yeah! You’ve got it!” I was always really proud of that.

Does this help?

20230123_152305.jpg

Assuming the positive reaction to this one had anything to do with the inclusion of the quad mix (based on the comments over at their site, it seems that way), I wonder if they'll be spurred to seek out more quad stuff? There are a number of other albums from '73 or late '72 with extant quad mixes that seem ripe for the 50th anniversary Atmos treatment:
  • Carly Simon - No Secrets (Frank Filipetti already mixed this in Atmos, but they could also include his 2001 5.1 mix and the '73 quad)
  • War - The World Is A Ghetto (already streaming in Atmos)
  • Billy Joel - Piano Man
  • Steve Miller Band - The Joker
  • Herbie Hancock - Headhunters

I'd definitely like to get a full Atmos,5.1, 4.0 ..Blu ray of Steve Miller's-The Joker , previously only on Q8.

great point, and yes to all of those for sure!

I also like what Paul said in response to a comment about streaming stuff (vague yes, but sounding great to me)-

Comment: "and they were both new releases not a re-release. Saying that, there is some streaming 80’s dolby atmos mixes that haven’t made it to disc yet that SDE will hopefully bring."

Paul Sinclair
3 DAYS AGO

"Some exciting plans for this year."

Hopefully Paul@ SDE will consider late 60's/70's as well.

Or better yet commission for Ten Years After 's albums...oh say Stonedhenge , and or Rock And Roll Music To The World....for a start.

To the USA?
Order details:1x Ten Years After / A Space in Time limited edition SDE-exclusive blu-ray audio for £23.00 each
Subtotal : £23.00 GBP Shipping : £8.00 GBP Total : £31.00 GBP
FWIW,....the conversion rate for the above 31.00GBP into USD$ as of 1-21-23= $38.23. This is what I paid & was refunded back to me when I canceled &instead made a combined order with SDE.

Quad of this is already available on multi channel SACD from CD Japan, and damned fine it is too having listened to mine less than a week ago. Admittedly the SACD is a limited run so having another run and in a different format would be no bad thing.
Re: Herbie Hancock - Headhunters

I pray every night when I go to sleep that we won't get repeated reissues of surround material we already have in nice editions, sometimes twice already. I realize I'm in the minority there. I want rare quad never previously issued since the 70s, or not correctly issued like this TYA, or fresh new 5.1 and 7.1 Atmos mixes. But the repeated reissue surround titles do nothing for me, and I never spend a dime on them. I don't know a lot of folks that will go after a 52nd Street, Tapestry, or Headhunters again in surround, but they must be out there right?

You're forgetting that Paul has their address 😉
But ebay does not give that info up unless a purchase it made. Ebay likes the buyer and sellers to have very limited info on each other in the USA. Outside the US that info is clearer, as it is a law two parties much know about each other in a transaction and before as well. So my point is that just because Paul has their info does not mean he can get that from ebay as well to match them up.

Anyway, I show up and they tell me to play drums on this track they’ve already finished. I said, “Sure, I’ll have a go.” So I’m listening to the song’s fluctuation of tempo. I thought it quite nice, actually. But to put drums on something like that afterwards? I couldn’t figure out what the time signature was as it’s different on that song from the verse to the chorus. But all it took me was three takes! The drum kit was set up by the control room window, which was four steps down. I’ll never forget the sight of Alvin on the other side of that window egging me on and giving me the thumbs up. I can see him now. He had the biggest smile on his face. And I could barely hear him through the window yelling, “Yeah! You’ve got it!” I was always really proud of that.
Insane! It's fun to solo the rears on the quad mix and listen to that drum track isolated (along with the lead guitar and some piano). I always thought it was interesting that you couldn't hear any faint bleed from the other instruments - given that most bands tracked together in the same space during this era - but the drums being an overdub explains that.

Re: Herbie Hancock - Headhunters

I pray every night when I go to sleep that we won't get repeated reissues of surround material we already have in nice editions, sometimes twice already. I realize I'm in the minority there. I want rare quad never previously issued since the 70s, or not correctly issued like this TYA, or fresh new 5.1 and 7.1 Atmos mixes. But the repeated reissue surround titles do nothing for me, and I never spend a dime on them. I don't know a lot of folks that will go after a 52nd Street, Tapestry, or Headhunters again in surround, but they must be out there right?
Those of us who didn’t get them the first time

Did Paul even limit how many copies one buyer could purchase? I expressed a real concern about that when he introduced these limited run series. I much prefer the time limited purchase window of two weeks, which then sets the number of discs that are printed. IMO that is a truly market driven way to sell these limited releases versus a super limited run that has caused a lot of disappointment among immersive listeners, and created a scalping market too.

Back