Listening to in Dolby Atmos Streaming, via Tidal/Apple/Amazon

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Still got all George’s albums in Atmos on Amazon here
Oh you're right, interesting.. Are they on Tidal in any region yet?
Sometimes it just takes Tidal a while to get stuff, I remember that was the case for the Zappa Atmos mixes.

But there's not much, if any, in the heights in this mix, so I'm a little disappointed
I am running a 4.1 set-up, so my expectations were different....quite a nice down mix for me. And good music for trying to wind down this Sunday afternoon...good call @beerking.

I planned on checking out some of the George Harrison stuff out of curiosity, but got sidetracked with this album.

..ploughing through the George Harrison's this afternoon.. 🥳 💘
...I'd forgotten how bloody good some of his Solo stuff was! 😅😋
...played several albums all the way through and tbh pretty much forgot about the shitty Surround on more than one occasion i was enjoying the music so much 👀
...enjoying life so much i find i don't analyse stuff half as much as in ye olden golden days of rock n'roll 🎸
now i prefer to stop and smell the roses more than sniff out the Surround suspects ✌️🤩 🌹😤
You're a Dark Horse. 😉 🐎🐴🐎

🔔🔔🔔🔔🔔🔔
Yesterday, today was tomorrow
And tomorrow, today will be yesterday

So ring out the old
Ring in the new
Ring out the false
Ring in the true
Ding Dong, Ding Dong

🔔🔔🔔🔔🔔🔔

I am running a 4.1 set-up, so my expectations were different....quite a nice down mix for me. And good music for trying to wind down this Sunday afternoon...good call @beerking.

I planned on checking out some of the George Harrison stuff out of curiosity, but got sidetracked with this album.
As i said, it's good music and a good mix, but it's basically a 7.1 mix, so no wonder it sounds good down mixed to 4.1. ;)
When my AVC's display says Atmos I anticipate sounds from the heights, if not it's not Atmos to me.:cautious:

I don't understand why anyone is proud they got some old singles from the 60s and 70s deleted as Atmos "upmixes" and reverted to stereo.
Screw that, I want to hear Archie Bell & The Drells Tighten Up Part I & II banging from 12 speakers again and wrapping around my head on my Airpods.

Dammit, I pay for my Apple subscription, and you have diminished my access to tracks I enjoyed.
Fully agree. Most of us already have stereo versions of these classic albums at home. Leave the surround versions alone.

Image_20230220_055949_478.jpg

Unfortunately no physical format yet...

After my free Apple Music subscription ran out I took a break but BestBuy has a free 3 month offer, so I'm enjoying the Atmos files again, and appreciate this thread. Several of these releases may have been covered while I wasn't following the conversation, but stand-outs for me were:
  • Marc Romboy – Randomized (discrete minimalist dub...would love more discrete dub, it gives the LFE channel a work-out and this mix makes good use of Atmos. I've also really enjoyed hearing the several Bob Marley albums in Atmos, as had only heard the Legend 5.1 Blu-ray so far .)
  • Bjork - Fossora
  • FKA Twigs – Tears in the Club (the major label R&B seems to get some adventurous mixes)
  • Oceanic – Green Blue (the 'electronica made for spatial audio' playlist has perhaps the best use of Atmos of any genre. There's more likelihood of using the height channels)
  • Jean-Michel Jarre – Oxymore (as you'd expect, a more aggressive mix)
  • Alicia Keys – Fallin
  • Traffic - Low Heeled...
  • De La Soul - Three Feet High
  • Joel Lyssarides - Stay Now (jazz is the genre I listen to the most, but this is one of the few that really uses Atmos)
  • Ryuichi Sakamoto 20210310 (heights engaged)
  • Cantus & Tove Ramlo-Ystad (of the various classical, here we're surrounded by a choir)
  • I'm also previewing the mixes I've already pre-ordered (EBTG, Orbital, Dylan) but focusing more on mixes I can't hear in lossless.

After my free Apple Music subscription ran out I took a break but BestBuy has a free 3 month offer, so I'm enjoying the Atmos files again, and appreciate this thread. Several of these releases may have been covered while I wasn't following the conversation, but stand-outs for me were:
  • Marc Romboy – Randomized (discrete minimalist dub...would love more discrete dub, it gives the LFE channel a work-out and this mix makes good use of Atmos. I've also really enjoyed hearing the several Bob Marley albums in Atmos, as had only heard the Legend 5.1 Blu-ray so far .)
  • Bjork - Fossora
  • FKA Twigs – Tears in the Club (the major label R&B seems to get some adventurous mixes)
  • Oceanic – Green Blue (the 'electronica made for spatial audio' playlist has perhaps the best use of Atmos of any genre. There's more likelihood of using the height channels)
  • Jean-Michel Jarre – Oxymore (as you'd expect, a more aggressive mix)
  • Alicia Keys – Fallin
  • Traffic - Low Heeled...
  • De La Soul - Three Feet High
  • Joel Lyssarides - Stay Now (jazz is the genre I listen to the most, but this is one of the few that really uses Atmos)
  • Ryuichi Sakamoto 20210310 (heights engaged)
  • Cantus & Tove Ramlo-Ystad (of the various classical, here we're surrounded by a choir)
  • I'm also previewing the mixes I've already pre-ordered (EBTG, Orbital, Dylan) but focusing more on mixes I can't hear in lossless.
One or two here I've not heard before...posting those links shortly
Great list

Last edited:
Back