360RA decoding via hardware - McIntosh and other MPEG-H ready receivers

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Oh I see now, sweet!

I’m waiting to see (make sure) what the upcoming top of the line Denon AVR supports here. I’m due an AVR upgrade.
interesting videos about the features of the new models
https://www.youtube.com/live/Msy0UTS1xmg?feature=share

maybe you can autotranslate it to your language
if you have any questions, i can test it for you on my cinema 50 (if my setup and players can handle it ;) )

Tidal 360 RA through Chromecast still doesn't work. A firmware update should be coming that should fix that in the near future, probably together with the Dirac Live update.
Do you have confirmed or more detailed informations about that or is it just a guess from you?

So you can't even bitstream from a pc via HDMI?
Forgive if this was covered, I lost track somewhere....
Bitstream is possible, of course. 2ch Limit is only over the Heos Module -> Streaming Services via HEOS, USB and Media Servers over HEOS

also another thread about USB-> AVR abilities (or lack of!)

So the whole thing about USB MC capability, is really about how the incoming data is handled by the audio gear’s chip-set and not USB data transfer rates; is that right?

https://www.quadraphonicquad.com/fo...d-of-hdmi-for-multichannel.31711/#post-607287
I would say yes, my BR Player displays 17Mbps for a 6ch DSD2,8 file (wav and flac with 88,2kHz is below 17Mbps) and USB 2 is specified with 480Mbps = 60MBps.

Tidal 360 RA through Chromecast still doesn't work. A firmware update should be coming that should fix that in the near future, probably together with the Dirac Live update.
The firmware update is out since today. Could you test it if it works now? I am not able, because i have sent back my Chromecast.

Yep, I updated my receiver this morning. But haven't had time to test Tidal 360RA yet.
But I'm afraid it will not work anytime soon. It's a Tidal thing.
I'm communicating with the Nordic distributor of Marantz about the problem. And I got the following message from one of their managers:

"
Hi xxx,

Unfortunately I have bad news. Tidal doesn’t support 360 RA streaming via Chromecast yet, but is using it for headphone listening only.

Right now it seems that only “Artist Connection” app is supporting the casting of the MPEG-H stream.

I am sorry for the misinformation given by below presentation. Will look into it to get it changed.

Please inform the customer

Thanks

Cheers

Oliver

But one more information…

360 RA is available using FireTV Cube gen 3rd and Amazon Music Unlimited account.

(other FireTV does not support)

Please find the attached images.

If you have Amazon Music Unlimited account, 'Spatial Audio' setting appears in Amazon Music setting.

Enabing it will get 360 RA playback via AVR HDMI In.

Best regards

Oliver Kriete

"

Attachments

• Amazon Music 360RA_playback.png
    Amazon Music 360RA_playback.png
    913.5 KB · Views: 1
Last edited:
Yep, I updated my receiver this morning. But haven't had time to test Tidal 360RA yet.
But I'm afraid it will not work anytime soon. It's a Tidal thing.
I'm communicating with the Nordic distributor of Marantz about the problem. And I got the following message from one of their managers:

"
Hi xxx,

Unfortunately I have bad news. Tidal doesn’t support 360 RA streaming via Chromecast yet, but is using it for headphone listening only.

Right now it seems that only “Artist Connection” app is supporting the casting of the MPEG-H stream.

I am sorry for the misinformation given by below presentation. Will look into it to get it changed.

Please inform the customer

Thanks

Cheers

Oliver

But one more information…

360 RA is available using FireTV Cube gen 3rd and Amazon Music Unlimited account.

(other FireTV does not support)

Please find the attached images.

If you have Amazon Music Unlimited account, 'Spatial Audio' setting appears in Amazon Music setting.

Enabing it will get 360 RA playback via AVR HDMI In.

Best regards

Oliver Kriete

"
If I’m following this correctly, then the Nordic distributor of Marantz doesn’t know that Amazon Music isn’t available in Denmark?

Have you heard any news if Denmark will have Amazon Music available anytime in the future?

Thanks

I own a McIntosh MX122 which I believe plays 360RA.
Could someone send me a 360RA link to a Tidal known song or album so I can see what my read out is, please.
I never use Tidal at home, only stereo at work.
I can play my Tidal account app via my Apple4K.
With my Apple Music my MX122 will list native stereo, MCH or Dolby Atmos.

I own a McIntosh MX122 which I believe plays 360RA.
Could someone send me a 360RA link to a Tidal known song or album so I can see what my read out is, please.
I never use Tidal at home, only stereo at work.
I can play my Tidal account app via my Apple4K.
With my Apple Music my MX122 will list native stereo, MCH or Dolby Atmos.
Here's a couple you could try Markie -

Simon & Garfunkel - Bridge Over Troubled Water (Old quad mix in MPEG-H carrier)
https://tidal.com/album/136346398
David Bowie - "Heroes"
https://listen.tidal.com/album/260978353
I'm pretty sure you'll only get stereo out of the Apple TV 4K though as this doesn't allow passthrough. In fact it outputs everything using Dolby MAT.

For the mo I think only the Google 4K Chromecast or the Amazon Fire TV Cube (2022) will work with MPEG-H (360RA). It's possible a TV using Android TV (Sony) will and I think LG introduced MPEG-H on some of their OLEDs from 2020 onwards?

Here's a couple you could try Markie -

Simon & Garfunkel - Bridge Over Troubled Water (Old quad mix in MPEG-H carrier)
https://tidal.com/album/136346398
David Bowie - "Heroes"
https://listen.tidal.com/album/260978353
I'm pretty sure you'll only get stereo out of the Apple TV 4K though as this doesn't allow passthrough. In fact it outputs everything using Dolby MAT.

For the mo I think only the Google 4K Chromecast or the Amazon Fire TV Cube (2022) will work with MPEG-H (360RA). It's possible a TV using Android TV (Sony) will and I think LG introduced MPEG-H on some of their OLEDs from 2020 onwards?
Well it was a try Will, yes they both came out playing in stereo as you said going through the Apple4K.
I have a Fire Cube on the downstairs TV, stereo soundbar only, I'm too lazy to disconnect and bring up to the big rig, oh well.
Maybe I will?

If I’m following this correctly, then the Nordic distributor of Marantz doesn’t know that Amazon Music isn’t available in Denmark?

Have you heard any news if Denmark will have Amazon Music available anytime in the future?

Thanks
Exactly they are not aware of that, the Nordic distributor of Marantz named Septon is based in Sweden, and Oliver is from Sound United, Germany. I don't think Amazon Music is coming to Denmark anytime soon.

I bought a Fire TV Cube and tried to playback 360RA from Amazon Music app. First of all, as you may already know, I have a Marantz SR7015 that should be capable of playing MPEG-H audio which is the format behind 360RA.
With the help of @Evanesco I was able to test the MPEG-H playback capabilites with an Nvidia Shield 4K and an app called iRZ Mpeg-h Player.

When I read that Amazon Music was streaimg pure MPEG-H audio through a Fire TV Cube I bought that too. Once installed I had to do a couple of updates, both on the Cube and the Amazon App.

Once it was done I played a song I had on my favorites, Hall & Oates Rich Girl.
And it worked!!

Then I played back one of my favorite Quad songs available in 360RA.
That worked too!!

There’s only one “issue” that I could live with. When a quad recording is played back from 360RA it’s spread through the all channels available, in my case 7.1.4, because of the nature of MPEG-H encoding which is object based and not channel based

I bought a Fire TV Cube and tried to playback 360RA from Amazon Music app. First of all, as you may already know, I have a Marantz SR7015 that should be capable of playing MPEG-H audio which is the format behind 360RA.
With the help of @Evanesco I was able to test the MPEG-H playback capabilites with an Nvidia Shield 4K and an app called iRZ Mpeg-h Player.

When I read that Amazon Music was streaimg pure MPEG-H audio through a Fire TV Cube I bought that too. Once installed I had to do a couple of updates, both on the Cube and the Amazon App.

Once it was done I played a song I had on my favorites, Hall & Oates Rich Girl.
And it worked!!

Then I played back one of my favorite Quad songs available in 360RA.
That worked too!!

There’s only one “issue” that I could live with. When a quad recording is played back from 360RA it’s spread through the all channels available, in my case 7.1.4, because of the nature of MPEG-H encoding which is object based and not channel based
May I ask, do you use Tidal too? If so, would you test one of the 360RA tracks with that app?

Back