Listening to in Dolby Atmos Streaming, via Tidal/Apple/Amazon

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
wow new Reckless Atmos mixes!? didn't we already have some? 👀
Yeah there was an Atmos release of Reckless in June/July last year! But this looks like a new upload, and has Bob Clearmountain as the Immersive mixer. Not sure who the mixer was on that earlier one but looks like Bob got involved and did a new mix, which is cool!

The Classic album which I think was a re-record of the hits and So Happy It Hurts came out around the same time last year in Atmos...

Last edited:
Not bad. I loved this album when it came out and would love to hear the whole thing in Atmos. Would have made a nice treat for it’s 40th anniversary which was just a few days ago. The drum breaks in a song like Run for Cover could be interesting in surround.

Listening to the rest of the album (why not?) I'm reminded that Kevin Dubrow must have been channeling Gene Simmons when he wrote a line like, “Wanna kiss your lips, not the ones on your face.” Subtle. Very subtle.

And now in a game of musical whiplash, I’ll give the Sting album a try.

Grea Gig and Brain Damage already in Apple Music in Spain. Nothing remarkable on a first and quick listen, but need to spend some more time.
IMG_20230316_111100.jpg

Making use of a quick work break, I played the SACD and the Atmos, switching from one to the other. Comparison is difficult, as SACD is louder in volume and sound quality is noticeably much better than the stream. In any case, 5.1 layer seems to be quite the same and Atmos just incorporates discreet elements on the heights, like Hammond, acoustic guitars or the dialogues. The bubble effect is nice with Atmos, but new mix could have been much more adventurous. Based on just two songs and bearing in mind that Apple sounds muddier and the bass has been tweaked up, the Atmos does not seem to add much to the SACD. And the quad wipes off the SACD anyway.
Take my comments with a grain of salt as it's only two songs and I'm not able to compare apples with apples. But this makes me hesitate again or whether to keep the Amazon order for the box or not...
And now back to work

i've seldom encountered such a criminal waste of Atmos' incredible spatial opportunities 🤬 ok a couple of the spoken word bits pop up in the Heights and the synthy bits towards the end of Brain Damage unconvincingly waft about up there a bit but mostly its a lower volume level reverby wash from the Heights and so for me they add very little to nothing. sound quality is also kinda on the soft and fuzzy side, warm and Bass rich yes but i suspect the tapes are getting knackered now and they could do with a bit of help, maybe?
ugh. i'm just glad i didn't buy the box set after all 🤑 but on the basis of these two tracks, its probably still gonna be the old Quad that does it for me.

i've seldom encountered such a criminal waste of Atmos' incredible spatial opportunities 🤬 ok a couple of the spoken word bits pop up in the Heights and the synthy bits towards the end of Brain Damage unconvincingly waft about up there a bit but mostly its a lower volume level reverby wash from the Heights and so for me they add very little to nothing. sound quality is also kinda on the soft and fuzzy side, warm and Bass rich yes but i suspect the tapes are getting knackered now and they could do with a bit of help, maybe?
ugh. i'm just glad i didn't buy the box set after all 🤑 but on the basis of these two tracks, its probably still gonna be the old Quad that does it for me.
The tapes should be in fine shape. They were pre-oil crisis - so that shouldn’t be an issue. And it’s the multis, not the stereo masters. So they’re been rarely used since 1972. Plus I’d think they’re using the same digital transfers for the atmos mix they used for the 5.1 mix 20 years ago - but even if they worked with new digital transfers of the multis, they’re shouldn’t be any appreciable degradation since the multis have almost certainly been stored in optimal conditions since then.

I suspect this issue is that it’s a lossy source.

Ah ha, my friend, My conspiracy theory is, they made the streaming Atmos real crummy on purpose so that people like me who spent two weeks of grocery's on the box set hard disc will come onto QQ and say "wow the new Atmos mix is fantastic" and then all will buy the box set.
LOL, :ROFLMAO:

Back