Listening to in Dolby Atmos Streaming, via Tidal/Apple/Amazon

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
i've seldom encountered such a criminal waste of Atmos' incredible spatial opportunities 🤬 ok a couple of the spoken word bits pop up in the Heights and the synthy bits towards the end of Brain Damage unconvincingly waft about up there a bit but mostly its a lower volume level reverby wash from the Heights and so for me they add very little to nothing. sound quality is also kinda on the soft and fuzzy side, warm and Bass rich yes but i suspect the tapes are getting knackered now and they could do with a bit of help, maybe?
ugh. i'm just glad i didn't buy the box set after all 🤑 but on the basis of these two tracks, its probably still gonna be the old Quad that does it for me.
The explanation may be more about fear, rather than incompetence. When handed what many consider to be the "Greatest Album Ever Made", someone was afraid to get it wrong, and got cold feet. They played it safe, and now here we are. Lord knows what sh*tstorm the approval process may have been like. If the artists had to sign off on the mix? Can you imagine the conversations between the PF members?

The tapes should be in fine shape. They were pre-oil crisis - so that shouldn’t be an issue. And it’s the multis, not the stereo masters. So they’re been rarely used since 1972. Plus I’d think they’re using the same digital transfers for the atmos mix they used for the 5.1 mix 20 years ago - but even if they worked with new digital transfers of the multis, they’re shouldn’t be any appreciable degradation since the multis have almost certainly been stored in optimal conditions since then.

I suspect this issue is that it’s a lossy source.
have you heard the two tracks in question already?

The explanation may be more about fear, rather than incompetence. When handed what many consider to be the "Greatest Album Ever Made", someone was afraid to get it wrong, and got cold feet. They played it safe, and now here we are. Lord knows what sh*tstorm the approval process may have been like. If the artists had to sign off on the mix? Can you imagine the conversations between the PF members?
i'm quite sure Guthrie's more than upto the job, his Johnny Mathis Christmas 5.1 mix is superb with very discrete Surround sound, it feels like outside meddling (no pun intended!) or Band interference on this one more than anything else 👍

Ah ha, my friend, My conspiracy theory is, they made the streaming Atmos real crummy on purpose so that people like me who spent two weeks of grocery's on the box set hard disc will come onto QQ and say "wow the new Atmos mix is fantastic" and then all will buy the box set.
LOL, :ROFLMAO:
wow i hope not!! 😂😅🤗
if folks are happy with the Atmos, i'm happy for them 😄

i've seldom encountered such a criminal waste of Atmos' incredible spatial opportunities 🤬 ok a couple of the spoken word bits pop up in the Heights and the synthy bits towards the end of Brain Damage unconvincingly waft about up there a bit but mostly its a lower volume level reverby wash from the Heights and so for me they add very little to nothing. sound quality is also kinda on the soft and fuzzy side, warm and Bass rich yes but i suspect the tapes are getting knackered now and they could do with a bit of help, maybe?
ugh. i'm just glad i didn't buy the box set after all 🤑 but on the basis of these two tracks, its probably still gonna be the old Quad that does it for me.

Are you listening to the new Atmos BDA (lossless) or the Dolby Digital Plus 768kbps lossy stream?

Aw shoot, so sorry - this Apple album listing for Elton probably isn't legit, I just saw Atmos logo on my phone, but it's gone on Apple TV...
Screenshot_2023-03-17-00-35-02-27_b842316e563230167e12cc31f5ffaf19.jpg

Back