Listening to in Dolby Atmos Streaming, via Tidal/Apple/Amazon

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Enjoying this. It's really the only Sting solo album I ever took to, despite being a big fan of The Police. On my 5.1 system, the mix sounds pleasantly full, a little front-heavy but with enough discrete stuff going on in the rears to feel quite immersive and satisfying. And the sharp thin sound I remember from the original CD seems to have been toned down here with some warmth and smoothness. Curious to hear opinions on the mix from other fans of the album; wondering if it spreads out much further on an Atmos system.

And am I the only one seeing the wrong lyrics (for Englishman In New York) displayed during The Lazarus Heart?

Enjoying this. It's really the only Sting solo album I ever took to, despite being a big fan of The Police. On my 5.1 system, the mix sounds pleasantly full, a little front-heavy but with enough discrete stuff going on in the rears to feel quite immersive and satisfying. And the sharp thin sound I remember from the original CD seems to have been toned down here with some warmth and smoothness. Curious to hear opinions on the mix from other fans of the album; wondering if it spreads out much further on an Atmos system.

And am I the only one seeing the wrong lyrics (for Englishman In New York) displayed during The Lazarus Heart?
There are several Atmos albums from Sting in Tidal:

https://tidal.com/browse/album/288714531... Nothing Like the Sun - Good Atmos Mix - Voice Frontal - Discrete- Wides speakers use

https://tidal.com/browse/album/205237900The Bridge (Deluxe) - Bad Atmos Mix - All sound Fronts - Seems a bad upmix. The immersive mixer is the same Robert Orton (?)

https://tidal.com/browse/album/235011474The Dream of the Blue Turtles - Good Atmos Mix - Voice Frontal - Discrete- Wides speakers use

https://tidal.com/browse/album/228093281Tne Summoner's Tales - Good Atmos Mix - Voice Frontal - Discrete- Wides speakers use

https://tidal.com/browse/album/276523502Brand New Day - Not too much listened. Atmos mix acceptable, surroundy, but mainly Frontal

All Atmos mixes sound surroundy discrete, except "The Bridge" that looks just Stereo. But in general at floor level, and good when using Wides (9.1.4). Not too much use of Tops/Heights.

I checked this one out last night and have pretty much the same opinion. I thought it was very nice sounding on my system and they did a nice job with the eq. Like the other Orton Atmos mixes, it's pretty heavy in the front three speakers so it's immersive but not as easy to pick out sounds around you. It seems like mostly ambient sounds in the surround channels so the mixes don't really wow you like a Scheiner or Wilson mix where there's more discreet activity going on in the surrounds. There are fun moments though, like the drum break in Englishman In NY. My favorites were probably They Dance Alone and Sister Moon.

One nice "bonus" on Ten Summoner's Tales is they included Everybody Laughed But You, which was on most editions of the album but was a b-side in the US and omitted from the DTS CD. It's a great track so it's nice to have it back in the running order.

I won't revisit these Sting and Police mixes very often but they're probably better presentations than upmixed original redbooks. Still, I hope they do some of the surround neglected albums like The Soul Cages and Mercury Falling and get a bit more adventurous if they do.

@fredblue wasn’t one of those previously released in 5.1 on DVD-A?
yes! 👌 Romances! 🥳 i've not played it in yonks but have a vague memory of it maybe being quite nice 🤔😋

IMG_7992.jpeg

I checked this one out last night and have pretty much the same opinion. I thought it was very nice sounding on my system and they did a nice job with the eq. Like the other Orton Atmos mixes, it's pretty heavy in the front three speakers so it's immersive but not as easy to pick out sounds around you. It seems like mostly ambient sounds in the surround channels so the mixes don't really wow you like a Scheiner or Wilson mix where there's more discreet activity going on in the surrounds. There are fun moments though, like the drum break in Englishman In NY. My favorites were probably They Dance Alone and Sister Moon.

One nice "bonus" on Ten Summoner's Tales is they included Everybody Laughed But You, which was on most editions of the album but was a b-side in the US and omitted from the DTS CD. It's a great track so it's nice to have it back in the running order.

I won't revisit these Sting and Police mixes very often but they're probably better presentations than upmixed original redbooks. Still, I hope they do some of the surround neglected albums like The Soul Cages and Mercury Falling and get a bit more adventurous if they do.
Yep. The mixes are adequate but not exciting.

He's this week's featured artist.
As one who worked at a records store for a decade, I never had the itch to go to the Latin section and pick up one of his albums.
Is it worth giving him a chance?
What's his best album?
ahh.. that's like asking me to name my favourite child.. 🧐

seeing as i have no kids, i shall respond to your question as to my favourite Luis Miguel album;

Nada! 👌

(only joking! 😉😅🤣 )

having only ever heard one of these albums in its' entirety before, i shall get back to you after an extended play through of these new Atmos releases! 😀

ahh.. that's like asking me to name my favourite child.. 🧐

seeing as i have no kids, i shall respond to your question as to my favourite Luis Miguel album;

Nada! 👌

(only joking! 😉😅🤣 )

having only ever heard one of these albums in its' entirety before, i shall get back to you after an extended play through of these new Atmos releases! 😀
Looking forward to your report 🙃

Back