The SDE Surround Sound Series (Updated list of titles with links in post #1)

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I open , mine and listen to them.
And I haven't purchased too many.

I support what SDE is doing and will continue too.

I won't support "streaming services" because I don't want them to become the new norm.
And you think not supporting them will help? ;) Many of the best Atmos mixes are streaming only, and I wouldn't be without them.

Last edited:
But Perp, listening to the actual disc is far more preferable than streaming! Crack open those superb sounding BD~As ..... and you will note the superiority of 24bit/48kHz!!!!!!!
I don’t stream for musical listening pleasure. I haven’t since around the time that TFF’s The Tipping Point was available off Apple Music. Right now, it‘s mostly discs for me. I haven’t even played a Vinyl Record in a long while. Perhaps, since last November?

NOT to mention the 'rental' mentality and compression codecs of MOST streaming services. Owning the REAL DEAL, IMO, is MUCH MORE preferable!

Until internet bandwidth is significantly increased, streaming is great for previewing but is still not indicative of what a BD~A can actually sound like!
I know how good a BD-A can sound, but it's not much help to preview something that will not be released on disc. Lots of good Atmos mixes may never be released on BD-A. I'm to old to wait so I enjoy them on Apple Music while I can.:cool:

I know how good a BD-A can sound, but it's not much help to preview something that will not be released on disc. Lots of good Atmos mixes may never be released on BD-A. I'm to old to wait so I enjoy them on Apple Music while I can.:cool:
I’ll take quality over quantity any day.

I’m only buying ones I think I’d like and so far I have:
TFF Tipping point (x1)
Eno Foreverandevernomore (x2)
TFF The Hurting (x1) on order
Oldfield TBells (x2) on order
Suede (x1) on order
Hopefully some more good ones in the future on the way.

I discovered late that TFF-Tipping Point and xPropaganda had really good Atmos mixes and the music style was acceptable to me. I missed that ones.

Then Gilbert O'Sullivan and Shakespears Sister are not my cup of tea. So I didn't buy them neither.

So I did buy Eno-Foreverandevernomore, just to don't miss it. It was an error. Because I don't find it anything interesting.

But then I bought, just to don't miss it:
- Ten Years After - Not bad for me.
- Bob Dylan - ???
- Tears for Fears - The Hurting - Never listen to this... But it is a Steven Wilson mix, and Tipping Point was acceptable style for me.
- Mike Oldfield - Tubular Bells - a great memory of my youth. No doubt.

So, it is a mixture of "buy before you miss it" and "I really like that music".

Also the support intention for SDE to keep physical BD editions alive has influenced a little.

I’m only buying ones I think I’d like and so far I have...

Same. I quit buying surround releases just to have them many years ago. It doesn't do me any good to have something sitting on the shelf that I'm NEVER going to listen to more than once, or worse yet, having it sitting in the shrink wrap in a closet.

My dream is to get my 'collection' down to the top 500 or something like that.

I have no means of listening to streaming services other than on my iPad, which is OK for stereo via the headphone output into my AV amp but no good for multi channel.
Streamers like Roku and Firestick are not expensive, although subscriptions can add up.

The quality just isn't good enough for me to pay for it, given I wouldn't pay for it otherwise. I pay for Spotify for the kids devices and that's it. I don't make enough money to budget for Amazon Music just to get lossy Atmos via my phone casting to my Shield. If there is a "must hear" mix, I would consider a single month purchase.

“BD~A” technically isn’t even the real deal, TrueHD encoding reduces the file size around ten times from the ADM master 😂

lol...at least it's lossless!

Movies on optical disc reduce the file size to less than 1/50th of the uncompressed master and it certainly is not lossless, but it's gotten pretty good at being transparent with the right personnel at the helm. Uncompressed 4K24 with HDR10 would fill a dual-layer Blu-ray Disc almost every minute. Makes you realize just how much compression is involved in 4K streaming!

I just never opened it. I played the Atmos version a couple of times off Apple Music when I had that streaming service and haven’t been in a rush to listen to it again. If you only knew how many unopened items I have in my music collection. For the past 8 months alone, I’ve become more of a music collector than a music listener.
The Tipping Point also has a 5.1 mix that isn't available for streaming, though.
I discovered late that TFF-Tipping Point and xPropaganda had really good Atmos mixes and the music style was acceptable to me. I missed that ones.

Then Gilbert O'Sullivan and Shakespears Sister are not my cup of tea. So I didn't buy them neither.

So I did buy Eno-Foreverandevernomore, just to don't miss it. It was an error. Because I don't find it anything interesting.

But then I bought, just to don't miss it:
- Ten Years After - Not bad for me.
- Bob Dylan - ???
- Tears for Fears - The Hurting - Never listen to this... But it is a Steven Wilson mix, and Tipping Point was acceptable style for me.
- Mike Oldfield - Tubular Bells - a great memory of my youth. No doubt.

So, it is a mixture of "buy before you miss it" and "I really like that music".

Also the support intention for SDE to keep physical BD editions alive has influenced a little.
Maybe you could sell the Eno disc and get the TFF or xPropaganda for whatever price it fetched? 🤔

The Tipping Point also has a 5.1 mix that isn't available for streaming, though.

Maybe you could sell the Eno disc and get the TFF or xPropaganda for whatever price it fetched? 🤔
Not really. I don't need optimization of any kind on my "investments" in music.

I just buy with measure, and I can enjoy when available from streaming.

New release got emailed to me: The Alan Parsons Project - The Turn Of A Friendly Card:

https://www.thesdeshop.com/collecti...-a-friendly-card-blu-ray-edition-with-5-1-mix

Note this isn’t an SDE release, but a standalone release from the already available box set. It’s available to order at £14.99 from the distributor, Cherry Red Records 👍

There’s a dedicated thread here

'Alan Parsons Project, The - THE TURN OF A FRIENDLY CARD [Blu-Ray Audio]'
HiRez Poll - Alan Parsons Project, The - THE TURN OF A FRIENDLY CARD [Blu-Ray Audio]

Back