Is it my speakers? I think I'm done with CD's. Are paid-for downloadable files any better? (...and, "Can it reach 60", a quality test for CDs)

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I also went the DBX route myself ...even dabbled in DBX encoded vinyl which only saw the sparse release of very few titles! It was effective for cassettes as well but you couldn't play them in your car.

Another short~lived 'experiment' in the annals of audio history!
I probably have four dbx encoded discs, with a couple of them QS encoded, but I’d have to check that, and they’re not filed that way, so I won’t.

Great example !!!
You have to be aware of the masterings that are available, lookie here,
View attachment 91775
Now that's an incredible difference made due to Steven Wilsons mastering.
The good news, I believe the BluRay also contains a Wilson 2ch mix with the
same high DR

The bad new is you'll have to pay for the BD.
But this is QQ and that's what we all buy.
Cheers
Actually no...

The first and second Blu-ray audio disc releases of 'The Tipping Point' contain a lossless [8+16Ch 48.0kHz] Atmos mix and a lossless [6Ch 48/24] DTS-HD MA mix. That's it!

Cheers

EDIT: Spelling

Last edited:
I probably have four dbx encoded discs, with a couple of them QS encoded, but I’d have to check that, and they’re not filed that way, so I won’t.
Loved playing the few dbx discs I bought. In order to hear them correctly I had to enable the dbx decoder built into my Technics RS-M253X cassette player, which also meant I could record them onto cassette tape using dbx!

However, due to the lack of available content on dbx disc I swiftly moved over to CD (early 1984). Which also sounded great when recorded onto cassette tape using dbx...

Sadly at the end of the eighties the Technics cassette player died (the keypad buttons stopped working) and after couple of years I bought a Sony TC-K611S, which didn't offer dbx but did offer Dolby-S recording and more flexible playback. Which meant I could record CD's onto cassette tape again - This time for the car!

Last edited:
Loved playing the few dbx discs I bought. In order to hear them correctly I had to enable the dbx decoder built into my Technics RS-M253X cassette player, which also meant I could record them onto cassette tape using dbx!
I recorded my dbx records to RTR whenever I bought a new one. I also recorded my MFSL half speed mastered records to RTR encoded into dbx. It was audio nirvana...until I got tired of dealing with RTR years down the road. I was badly fooled into thinking that CD was the way to go by those first several magnificently mastered CD purchases.

I recorded my dbx records to RTR whenever I bought a new one. I also recorded my MFSL half speed mastered records to RTR encoded into dbx. It was audio nirvana...until I got tired of dealing with RTR years down the road. I was badly fooled into thinking that CD was the way to go by those first several magnificently mastered CD purchases.
Maybe somebody will develop an 'AI' to help repair our horribly clipped and compressed audio files....

There are already some file repair programs available.to take care of the clipping part which is probably does not need much AI. The compression is likely a bigger challenge.

However, due to the lack of available content on dbx disc I swiftly moved over to CD (early 1984). Which also sounded great when recorded onto cassette tape using dbx...

Sadly at the end of the eighties the Technics cassette player died (the keypad buttons stopped working) and after couple of years I bought a Sony TC-K611S, which didn't offer dbx but did offer Dolby-S recording and more flexible playback. Which meant I could record CD's onto cassette tape again - This time for the car!
I had an early '70s Technics 3 head cassette deck. Was a nice machine. Touch transport controls, no jamming a switch into place.
Time gone by does not permit my remembering the model #.

Well, I sure don’t have 303 of them!
When these 'rare' DBX discs were released ... there was NO internet listing all those titles. My local audio store used to stock them but only a select few and I never thought to ask if more titles were available. And they WERE pricey at the time. They were quiet as most were custom pressed on Quiex vinyl but the premium price was a turn off [I was a poor working class peon].

When these 'rare' DBX discs were released ... there was NO internet listing all those titles. My local audio store used to stock them but only a select few and I never thought to ask if more titles were available. And they WERE pricey at the time. They were quiet as most were custom pressed on Quiex vinyl but the premium price was a turn off [I was a poor working class peon].
I don’t remember if I knew about them when they were “the latest thing.” But I’ve long wanted to be able to play whatever’s out there (recently given up an almost anything “tape” based), so I’ve picked up a few dbx at record shows and a decoder.

Which means, of course, that my potential for collecting has grown by about 300.

The dbx album Who Are You: When I played that first track New Song, it jumped right out of the speakers. Incredible dynamic range.

I don’t remember if I knew about them when they were “the latest thing.” But I’ve long wanted to be able to play whatever’s out there (recently given up an almost anything “tape” based), so I’ve picked up a few dbx at record shows and a decoder.

Which means, of course, that my potential for collecting has grown by about 300.
Prepare to take out a second mortgage, barfle...Back in the day they were about $15 each and looking over some discogs prices ...... WHEW [and most are USED!

Out of curiosity is it possible to measure the DR on this disc to see
what the software is bringing to the table?
Great question. The dbx vinyl of Who Are You is not in the database. The vinyl and original CD have excellent DR measurements.

Album list - Dynamic Range DB
Thinking further, the dbx system was a 2:1 compressor. So they could cram much more dynamic range onto the vinyl record without having to deal with the usual problems such as the stylus jumping out of the groove among others.

Back