Tears For Fears "The Hurting" (SDE Blu-Ray #9 with Steven Wilson 5.1 & Dolby Atmos mixes!)

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The screen is too white. OK I can shutoff the TV, and the music still goes to the AVR. Same with TFB.

BUT...

When I want to change some sound options ( typically adjust the level of some speakers) the OSD of my Denon is ... White..... And I don't see almost anything with that white background :mad:
And sound Options Levels have so many speakers... when in Atmos, that I cannot find the right one.

The liner notes comments from Steven Wilson says about that he didn't want to include his stereo mix work in progress for Atmos, but during the pre-order there were some people asking for it.

Let's ask for future Steven Wilson Blu-ray authoring design to avoid such bright white backgrounds. No need of animated backgroud. But just turning into black, with just the Track name, after ten seconds of song start, would be ideal.
They can do the "Suffer The Children" edition for the second pressing:

LTk0MDYuanBlZw.jpeg

Need to checkin on these people to make sure their sound systems are alright, I'm kinda worried for them. Or maybe we need to gofundme some ear exams? :cool:

View attachment 92741
Though I'm sure this was meant to be tongue-in-cheek, must we bully people into explaining their ratings? A "9" is still a very high score.

Need to checkin on these people to make sure their sound systems are alright, I'm kinda worried for them. Or maybe we need to gofundme some ear exams? :cool:

View attachment 92741
A 9 is still a pretty high endorsement?! 🤔 It's quite a melancholic album after all... I love it, but just saying... There are a of lot lower votes on surround albums that I love that one could feel hard done by... 🤪

DeRemote is a very good app to control levels for a Denon AV
I think it's only for iOS. I'm on Android.
I use DENON AVR remote and it works OK. The levels for speakers can be adjusted easily and quickly.
But if I do not have the app started and connected to the AVR, when I want to do something quick, it takes time to connect. Sometimes it does not connect. I have to stop and clear the App execution and try again... With the remote is quicker.
[sorry for the off-topic]

To my knowledge, neither the Spirit or Memento Mori studio albums have been released in 5.1 or Atmos, while the previous Depeche Mode titles have been released on multichannel sacd and/or dvd. Both of these titles are very well recorded, with Memento Mori being particularly atmospheric even in stereo. I'd love for Steven Wilson to take a crack at these in Atmos, possibly under the SDE banner.
Ahhh. I’m not the biggest DM and have several of the 5.1s but not all. I presumed they released them all. Not really familiar with those two titles. But all those I do have sound great. A great band for surround mixes.

To my knowledge, neither the Spirit or Memento Mori studio albums have been released in 5.1 or Atmos, while the previous Depeche Mode titles have been released on multichannel sacd and/or dvd. Both of these titles are very well recorded, with Memento Mori being particularly atmospheric even in stereo.
Memento Mori and A-Ha's True North were two recent albums I was sure would receive streaming-exclusive Atmos mixes, but I guess the bands (or their management/labels) didn't go for it :(

This is on pace to dethrone Dark Side as the highest rated disc on QQ!
Dark Side Of The Moon is by far the worst record ever made. In fact, it is the worst record going back to even before The Big Bang. Every version that I have ever owned...vinyl, CD, MoFi CD, SACD whatever...sucks big time. In fact, I can't believe how bad it sucks that I absolutely have to listen to the whole thing every time I play it. It's such a horrid aural experience that on the few occasions where I've tried to play just a single track, I've asked myself, "Can something really suck this badly?" And then I go back to listen to every other track on the album just to be sure how bad it sucks. On really bad days, I'll play it twice, once in straight 5.1 and again enhanced with Auro 3D...again just to be sure how bad it sucks. ;)

So, I don't think anything is going to ever dethrone Dark Side.

(...°If I'm going to listen to music intently it
must be in the dark. I never was any good at multitasking.
(...)
About that part of this Sal1950 quote. First time I had a multichannel record, it was the deluxe re edition of Tubular Bells.
I clearly remember first listening to a multichannel record felt like multitasking !
It took a great deal of concentration to mentally reconstruct in one entity the audio sources that came from everywhere.
And that was not easy for me.

It is a bit easier now, but all 5.1 (for me) mixes are not made equal.
Since we are talking Tears For Fears, I listened of course with delight to The Hurting.
This morning I did the same with Tipping Point.
What jumped in my face is that it was harder on me to listen to, it required more effort then the Hurting Wilson's mix which is a kind of a lesson in transparency.
Another complex example is the Boulez Firebird with it incomprehensible position decisions (and the noise) which makes it is hard for me to mentally unify.

Back