Tears For Fears "The Hurting" (SDE Blu-Ray #9 with Steven Wilson 5.1 & Dolby Atmos mixes!)

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
About that part of this Sal1950 quote. First time I had a multichannel record, it was the deluxe re edition of Tubular Bells.
I clearly remember first listening to a multichannel record felt like multitasking !
It took a great deal of concentration to mentally reconstruct in one entity the audio sources that came from everywhere.
And that was not easy for me.

It is a bit easier now, but all 5.1 (for me) mixes are not made equal.
Since we are talking Tears For Fears, I listened of course with delight to The Hurting.
This morning I did the same with Tipping Point.
What jumped in my face is that it was harder on me to listen to, it required more effort then the Hurting Wilson's mix which is a kind of a lesson in transparency.
Another complex example is the Boulez Firebird with it incomprehensible position decisions (and the noise) which makes it is hard for me to mentally unify.
That is interesting. For myself, I find The Tipping Point quite easy to listen to. Probably because it quickly became one of my recent favorites? Not sure.
But when I read some of @sjcorne descriptions of what is happening in what speakers on an Atmos track, for example, I have to marvel.
Depending on the music, I have a harder time localizing sounds from my top speakers. Not that I don't hear it, just don't think about it really. But my audio room is small compared to when I had the gear in a larger room.

That is interesting (...)
(typo edit) I understand we are all pretty different on that matter, and even if we share the same experience, it won't be on the same albums.
To add furthermore confusion, I love quad transfers as I find them to have bolder placement decisions (not to mention a rawer sound due to the absence in the 70's of multi channel effects). That should make it harder for me to listen to. It is the contrary :)

Last edited:
I understand we are all pretty different on that matter, and even if we share the same experience, it won't be on the same albums.
To ad furthermore confusion, I love quand transfers as I find them to have bolder placement decisions (not to mention a rawer sound to to the absence in the 70's of multi channel effects. That should make it harder for me to listen to. It is the contrary :)
Well I started with Quad in the early 70's. I don't believe it makes any difference whether 2/4/6/8/12 channels, I just fall right into whatever I'm listening to.
In my shop I have a single bluetooth speaker and listen via Spotify. Earbuds for travel. In the house it's anything up to 12 channels.

In my little listening world, if I feel like something is hard to listen to, that's my sensory system telling me I don't like it. I turn it off, try something different. It could be the lyrics, beat, genre, voice, mix, etc. or it is simply not music that I needed in that moment. Try it again later maybe.

Anything hard to listen to, from my perspective and definition, gets very little additional time...it defeats the purpose for me.

To stay on topic, I'm really looking forward to getting The Hurting and giving it a listen...!

Sorry, don't remember if it's been covered here yet and hope someone will help me out with this question for the SDE release.

Are there any mix differences in the instruments from the standard mix and the "Instrumental only" mix? And is that for the stereo mixes only?

I've had issues with ripping this disc correctly. No problem with the actual ripping, either via DVDAudioExtractor or MakeMKV and MMH. However, the track split done by MMH or DVDAudioExtractor didn't work 'gapless' in those tracks that require gapless playback (Mad World to Pale Shelter, to Ideas as Opiates, to Memories Fade). The only system that worked for me was to extract a single FLAC file and split manually in audacity using labels. Also Foobar with a cue sheet didn't work for gapless playback. I haven't checked the 5.1. Don't know what I am doing wrong, it's the first time it happens to me.

Great Blu-ray by the way, probably the best SDE so far.

I've had issues with ripping this disc correctly. No problem with the actual ripping, either via DVDAudioExtractor or MakeMKV and MMH. However, the track split done by MMH or DVDAudioExtractor didn't work 'gapless' in those tracks that require gapless playback (Mad World to Pale Shelter, to Ideas as Opiates, to Memories Fade). The only system that worked for me was to extract a single FLAC file and split manually in audacity using labels. Also Foobar with a cue sheet didn't work for gapless playback. I haven't checked the 5.1. Don't know what I am doing wrong, it's the first time it happens to me.

Great Blu-ray by the way, probably the best SDE so far.
Adding to my post above, this is the difference between the FLAC file of the album and the split I get using MakeMKV and MMH (and a similar result with DVD Audio Extractor). There must be something strange with the cue sheet... but of course the disc plays gapless.

1687514021906.png

I listened to side one again yesterday in Atmos. It is really good, but the problem with this...and other albums that I didn't own back in the day...is that it is not rooted in my "consciousness." So the songs don't stick in my brain and I often totally forget about these albums when considering what to play.

I listened to side one again yesterday in Atmos. It is really good, but the problem with this...and other albums that I didn't own back in the day...is that it is not rooted in my "consciousness." So the songs don't stick in my brain and I often totally forget about these albums when considering what to play.
Same here. But I find "The Tipping Point" newer album more engaging personally.

I mean of course the Tipping Point is more engaging. I would hope their latest album after 40 years in music is more engaging than their first. When they were like 20. Lol
But an example of older vs newer....early Aerosmith, before they went bubble gum pop. We have every album until stopping at night in the ruts except Pump for the ONE song "Janie's Got a Gun" This from first album 👌

Last edited:
Back