Listening to in Dolby Atmos Streaming, via Tidal/Apple/Amazon

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Pleased to see John Coltrane is the Apple spatial audio featured artist this week.

Eleven albums are listed, but adding the earlier Blue Train and Evenings at the Village Gate with Eric Dolphy makes it an Atmos baker's dozen of the formation and peak years of the classic Coltrane quartet from 1957-1964.

A couple of these are recently restored unreleased "lost" albums.
I'm especially enjoying Blue World.
Track 7, Traneing In, opens with a Jimmy Garrison bass solo banging from all 12 channels, and will test the low end capabilities of everyone's height speakers.

Screenshot 2023-09-29 at 7.22.56 AM.png

Of course, new hi-res stereo masterings are an option for folks who think they can get better results upmixing to their floor speakers, or folding down to mono.

Good god almighty, don’t skip this one. Just started it and the mix is a stunner. I thought the original Metallic Spheres was ok musically, but held back from true greatness, curious to see if I like this one better
edit: yes, this is way way better. Possibly the best thing The Orb has done since Chill Out, World or even the classic 90’s run of albums

Last edited:
Super full and pleasing Atmos mix. The pre-release reviews on this had me worried it was going to be a snoozer of an album but it’s great.

As a long time Wilco fan, Cousin is the best album since Sky Blue Sky IMO. The Dolby Atmos mix is great with lots of activity in the height speakers. I sure hope Jeff Tweedy is able to release this Dolby Atmos mix on Blu-ray as this would be an instant buy for me.

As a long time Wilco fan, Cousin is the best album since Sky Blue Sky IMO. The Dolby Atmos mix is great with lots of activity in the height speakers. I sure hope Jeff Tweedy is able to release this Dolby Atmos mix on Blu-ray as this would be an instant buy for me.
From your mouth to Jeff's ear. I emailed WilcoHQ a couple of weeks ago when they were playing peekaboo with the Atmos mix of the preview track on the streaming services. They assured me that the entire album would eventually appear in Atmos (it was mixed at Battery Studios with Tom Schick overseeing), but they dodged my question about whether it would be available on Blu-Ray.

From your mouth to Jeff's ear. I emailed WilcoHQ a couple of weeks ago when they were playing peekaboo with the Atmos mix of the preview track on the streaming services. They assured me that the entire album would eventually appear in Atmos (it was mixed at Battery Studios with Tom Schick overseeing), but they dodged my question about whether it would be available on Blu-Ray.
Well I hope Jeff will consider releasing Cousin Dolby Atmos in blu ray as the mix is fantastic and deserves the best format / sound IMO.

Good god almighty, don’t skip this one. Just started it and the mix is a stunner. I thought the original Metallic Spheres was ok musically, but held back from true greatness, curious to see if I like this one better
edit: yes, this is way way better. Possibly the best thing The Orb has done since Chill Out, World or even the classic 90’s run of albums
(y) I need an SDE BD of this!!! who did the mix???

Pleased to see John Coltrane is the Apple spatial audio featured artist this week.

Eleven albums are listed, but adding the earlier Blue Train and Evenings at the Village Gate with Eric Dolphy makes it an Atmos baker's dozen of the formation and peak years of the classic Coltrane quartet from 1957-1964.

A couple of these are recently restored unreleased "lost" albums.
I'm especially enjoying Blue World.
Track 7, Traneing In, opens with a Jimmy Garrison bass solo banging from all 12 channels, and will test the low end capabilities of everyone's height speakers.

View attachment 96749

Of course, new hi-res stereo masterings are an option for folks who think they can get better results upmixing to their floor speakers, or folding down to mono.
These are great, full on speaker jazz, love it, drums are killer on Blue World.
I started this session with the new U2, what a dud.

These are great, full on speaker jazz, love it, drums are killer on Blue World.
Elvin Jones = force of nature

Listened on airpods to atmos Blue World & A Love Supreme on a bike ride this morning, as preparation to for my first listen this evening of the quad Love Devotion & Surrender, which kicks off with Coltrane's ALS & Naima.

Back