Deep Purple "Machine Head 50 (Deluxe)" 3CD+LP+BD-A w/ Atmos, US quad and 5.1 bonus (3/29/2024 -Universal)

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I want a hard answer on the live sets! New surround mixes or just the original mixes repackaged?

What else bums me out is not seeing 50th anniversary releases of In Rock and Fireball preceding this. I imagine the mixes reflect the quality of the multitrack recordings and those albums are just what they are. Still...

$100 is a lot for an album that I have a decent-ish copy of with almost no other bones thrown in. What 7.1.4 mixes has Dweezil done that might sell me on it?
I'm not even sure he's done his dad's all by himself. I could be wrong.

I didn’t think he was even involved in the Waka/Wazoo and Over-Nite 50th reissues?
I saw no mention of a Zappa surname associated with any of the new 12 channel mixes. (Obviously we know Frank mixed quad Over-Nite.)
Got my attention and I'm interested to hear something though!

Last edited:
I must say I’m a little skeptical… no disrespect meant toward Dweezil Zappa, but this is first I’ve ever seen his name as a mixer. That being said, he might very well be more adventurous than others. I guess we’ll all find out together. 🤷🏼‍♂️
Well, if I recall the lyrics correctly, 50 years ago, Frank Zappa and the Mothers had the best place around…forcing Purple to record in the Rolling-truck-Stones thing…
Maybe his son thought he would lend them a proper studio after 5 decades to make amends?! 🙃

Last edited:
Found this on German uDiscover site, pre-order live at jpc.de as well:
View attachment 101139
Key points:
- Deluxe box featuring a 2024 remix of the full album by Dweezil Zappa alongside a 2024 remaster on vinyl and CD
- additional Live content such as a previously unreleased concert from Montreux 1971 and the live album “In Concert ‘72”
- Blu Ray Audio will hold rare 1974 U.S. Quad mixes and three tracks in 5.1 audio from 2012, but also a brand new Atmos mix of the full album
- a book of approximately 60 pages, comprised of brand new liner notes, rare photographs and images

BD-A tracklist:
Highway Star (6.06) *2024 Atmos mix
Maybe I’m A Leo (5.27) *2024 Atmos mix
Pictures Of Home (5.18) *2024 Atmos mix
Never Before (4.01) *2024 Atmos mix
Smoke On The Water (6.23) *2024 Atmos mix
Lazy (7.20) *2024 Atmos mix
Space Truckin’ (4.33) *2024 Atmos mix
When A Blind Man Cries (B-Side) (3:26) *2024 Atmos mix

Highway Star (6.05) *1974 U.S. Quad Mix
Maybe I’m A Leo (4.51) *1974 U.S. Quad Mix
Pictures Of Home (5.04) *1974 U.S. Quad Mix
Never Before (3.58) *1974 U.S. Quad Mix
Smoke On The Water (5.39) *1974 U.S. Quad Mix
Lazy (7.21) *1974 U.S. Quad Mix
Space Truckin’ (4.33) *1974 U.S. Quad Mix

When A Blind Man Cries (3.29) *5.1 Mix
Maybe I’m A Leo (4.51) *5.1 Mix
Lazy (7.21) *5.1 Mix
The DREADED inclusion of vinyl to drive the price up…AGAIN 😭

Well, 50 years ago, Frank Zappa and the Mothers had the best place around…forcing Purple to record in the Rolling-truck-Stones thing…
Maybe his son thought he would lend them a proper studio after 5 decades to make amends?! 🙃
I mean, it wasn't Frank's fault! It was some stupid with a flare gun in the audience. Song tells you all about it!

Funny choice of 3 random tracks from the 2001 5.1 remix to be making the rounds like this. Smoke 5.1 had an actual extended ending. It's not revealing. No post fade jamming, just an ending. But it was the only "different" different thing in that remix. Cheesy in that it seems like it was the only song someone involved with that project recognized and thus tried to make into a bonus reveal. Follows the pattern of the circa 2000's DVDA releases with a stiff 5.1 remix and an apparent unawareness of original surround mixes to include.

That ill fated Zappa show is really good too! (Shared audience recordings exist.) It was during the last song (King Kong) of a long show. After Frank first says "fire?!" either Howard or Mark chimes in "best Arthur Brown impersonation ladies and gentlemen!"

I'm surprised no one has commented about the Atmos mix of "Smoke On The Water" that's currently streaming on Apple Music (linked by @J. PUPSTER in another thread)

It's interesting and definitely different than prior surround versions - the height speakers seem to be used primarily to lift the drum kit. There's also this new pulsating keyboard(?) part during the intro build-up.

I'm surprised no one has commented about the Atmos mix of "Smoke On The Water" that's currently streaming on Apple Music (linked by @J. PUPSTER in another thread)

It's interesting and definitely different than prior surround versions - the height speakers seem to be used primarily to lift the drum kit. There's also this new pulsating keyboard(?) part during the intro build-up.
I just listened to the new 2024 stereo remix, that thing is really different, especially the end.

Back