Deep Purple "Machine Head 50 (Deluxe)" 3CD+LP+BD-A w/ Atmos, US quad and 5.1 bonus (3/29/2024 -Universal)

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If one was to, hypothetically, skip this release and buy one of the previous 5.1 dvd-a or sacds, which should they choose? This topic sent me looking at the options, and there appears to be some 'issues' with one or more of the prior 5.1 mixes. But I never did see anything definitive about what was the best to buy.

Smoke On the Water 2024 remix
He did include the "Break a leg ,Frank!"...

1707257749744.png

Great album, that I don't own in any surround format, so there's definitely some appeal to me. Not for the price though.

Dweezil's solo stuff appears to be mixed by him, so it seems to be a skillset he has. https://www.discogs.com/release/1777321-Dweezil-Zappa-Go-With-What-You-Know

It's odd they didn't mention who did the atmos mix. That matters to most surround enthusiasts and certain engineers earn automatic buys, although ultimately the quality of the mix matters more.
It probably is Atmos by Dweezil. He's got his own mixing "studio" it seems.
https://vintageking.com/blog/2023/07/studio-spotlight-dweezil-zappas-hikari-studios
You are CORRECT, Gene. From Rhino's own website:

The new Dolby Atmos and 2024 mixes provide fresh and immersive perspectives on this classic album and were made by Zappa using the original tapes. In the liner notes, Zappa says: “It’s one of those records where I think, ‘How did they come up with this?’ It’s got classical influences in the guitar and the keyboard, but then it’s got the blues and there’s little bits of funkiness. And you have this singer who has the most killer voice. All these things come together in a way where it doesn’t sound like commercial music, yet people got really excited about it. It’s a fascinating recipe.”

If one was to, hypothetically, skip this release and buy one of the previous 5.1 dvd-a or sacds, which should they choose? This topic sent me looking at the options, and there appears to be some 'issues' with one or more of the prior 5.1 mixes. But I never did see anything definitive about what was the best to buy.
None of the above. The US quad mix is genuinely out of print since original release. There has never been a digital release until this. There are shared fan made copies of the Q4 reel.

Regardless of which of the 3 surround mixes you prefer, this will be the only digital release of the US quad to date. I like the US quad significantly more than the others or original stereo. I know there's someone in this thread who prefers the UK quad.

The 2003 EMI SACD uses a digital transfer of the 1972 quadraphonic mix that was originally released on SQ LP in the UK, Europe, and Australia (Q4TPSA 7504). I'm told the DVD-V in the 2012 box set uses that same digital transfer, but I don't actually have a copy to confirm.

The 2001 DVD-A and 2011 Japan SACD use the newer 5.1 mix by Paul Klingberg & John Kellogg (I interviewed Kellogg a few years ago about doing this 5.1 mix and others, check it out if interested).

In addition to the new Atmos mix, this 50th anniversary set will also include a digital transfer of the 1974 quadraphonic mix that was was originally released on CD-4 LP in the United States (BS4 2607). As to why a second quad mix was made exclusively for the US market, I can't answer that - but it is very different from both the UK/Europe quad and the later 5.1 mix.

Out of all the options currently available, my go-to was always the EMI SACD with the 1972 UK/Europe quad mix. I'm really excited to hear how the 1974 US quad from the master tapes will sound though.

Bottom line is that all the multichannel content in this new set is unique and worth having even if you've already picked up all these past versions. I think this might be the first album to have 4(!) different surround mixes.

Okay I think the 2011 Japan SACD is the only one readily available for an affordable price, and it gets relatively mixed reviews compared to the quad options. Might have to wait and see how this unfolds, $80 is a lot for a bluray.

Last edited:
Well, if I recall the lyrics correctly, 50 years ago, Frank Zappa and the Mothers had the best place around…forcing Purple to record in the Rolling-truck-Stones thing…
Maybe his son thought he would lend them a proper studio after 5 decades to make amends?! 🙃
I wish I thought of this! Nice one!

Bottom line is that all the multichannel content in this new set is unique and worth having even if you've already picked up all these past versions. I think this might be the first album to have 4(!) different surround mixes.
4 surround sound mixes? I count the atmos, the quad, and the three bonus 5.1 tracks. Where'd you get the fourth mix from?

4 surround sound mixes? I count the atmos, the quad, and the three bonus 5.1 tracks. Where'd you get the fourth mix from?
I thought it was explained pretty clearly in the post:
  • 1972 UK/Europe/Australia quadraphonic mix (SQ LP Q4TPSA 7504)
  • 1974 US quadraphonic mix (CD-4 LP BS4 2607)
  • 2001 Paul Klingberg/John Kellogg 5.1 surround mix (DVD-A R9 76664)
  • 2024 Dweezil Zappa Dolby Atmos mix

I thought it was explained pretty clearly in the post:
  • 1972 UK/Europe/Australia quadraphonic mix (SQ LP Q4TPSA 7504)
  • 1974 US quadraphonic mix (CD-4 LP BS4 2607)
  • 2001 Paul Klingberg/John Kellogg 5.1 surround mix (DVD-A R9 76664)
  • 2024 Dweezil Zappa Dolby Atmos mix
Oh, I thought you meant this release had four surround sound mixes.

Oh, I thought you meant this release had four surround sound mixes.
I thought the same thing when I read it. Expressing ideas in words can be tricky. :)

I think he may be right. I can't think of another that has 4 unique multi-channel mixes.
Of course I don't have the knowledge a lot of folks around here do with the original quad recordings, so maybe there is.

Back