The Music of Japan.

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
2 clips from “The Kingdom of Dreams and Madness” (which I’ve been meaning to see…) a documentary about Miyazaki, which is where I got that quote from
I purchased that film when it first came out on Blu-ray. Odd title for a very good documentary. Highly recommended. Good for group viewing too if you have any anime friends. Now you've got me in the mood to watch it again. Maybe have it on while I wrap presents...

I had been worried about Kaori Muraji, I'd read a couple years ago that she was battling some kind of cancer. Looks like she may be doing well :bowing:

This is the journey. The first baptism of heavy rain on Miyakojima! ?

Not… really. I saw it at an Alamo Drafthouse, my first time going. Instead of Maria Menunos or some other celebrity talking about upcoming movies before trailers, they curate their own 30 minute “pre-show” for each movie. Usually tangentially related shorts, clips etc. For example; any time they show a movie with Jack Black in it, that pre-show includes his first acting gig: a TV commercial for the Atari 2600 game Pitfall.

For Boy and the Heron it was original Japanese trailers for Miyazaki films, a Ghibli produced music video, a small featurette about the food shown in Ghibli films, another featurette about real life locations Ghibli drew inspiration from, and 2 clips from “The Kingdom of Dreams and Madness” (which I’ve been meaning to see…) a documentary about Miyazaki, which is where I got that quote from
YATTA!
The film won an Oscar for best animated feature film!

Wording of this listing made me do a double-take.

Goddamn I'd love to hear an immersive mix of Space Lion, but it's never gonna happen.

1710887649742.png

Not too many...I think 5 or 6. As far as I know, Japanese surround titles are much more scarce...so as a result I have much less titles!
Very true. Some may have only one surround track! That's sort of an anomaly, though. I have somewhere around 40 Japanese surround titles I have scoured up.

40??? I know of like 8 or 10.
You know that some American artists are on Japanese labels as well? Not talking about your Sony/Santana, etc, more like Arne Domnerius, etc.
But otherwise, Hiromi, and other Japanese artists make up the bulk of what I have. I alluded to that in the YouTube vid I posted: I have that album.

You know that some American artists are on Japanese labels as well? Not talking about your Sony/Santana, etc, more like Arne Domnerius, etc.
But otherwise, Hiromi, and other Japanese artists make up the bulk of what I have. I alluded to that in the YouTube vid I posted: I have that album.
I see...
When it comes to Japanese music I really only pay attention to rock or jazz...so I'm generally only aware of those releases. Although, a few pop titles and classical titles do pop up on my radar at times...

Browsing HRAudio I found some surprises...

Sony just released a single from a Final Fantasy video game...on SACD...in 5.1...in 2024!
Sony also apparently has a 5.1 mix of a 1984 album by Eiichi Otaki coming out in a couple days?

Looks like Sony has been active recently...I wonder how both of them sound.

Luna Sea/Prism/
I see...
When it comes to Japanese music I really only pay attention to rock or jazz...so I'm generally only aware of those releases. Although, a few pop titles and classical titles do pop up on my radar at times...
Mine I would say are a mix of Pop & Jazz. I guess it depends on your definition of Classical. I find the Japanese Jazz titles engaging, for the most part. Prism, Casiopea, etc. I have some other recordings of T Square and Casiopea in other formats.

Luna Sea/Prism/

Mine I would say are a mix of Pop & Jazz. I guess it depends on your definition of Classical. I find the Japanese Jazz titles engaging, for the most part. Prism, Casiopea, etc. I have some other recordings of T Square and Casiopea in other formats.
I am aware of the Prism SACD but there's Casiopea and T-Square SACDs?
Checking out Luna Sea...up my alley...similar to Kuroyume...

HRAudio shows a LOT of T-Square SACDs...googly moogly! Which begs the question...since none of them seem to be multichannel, are any of them better than the streaming versions?

Back